Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Intended Steel Legion Lux Skill Animation?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExjK

01-30-2013

When using the default Lux skin her Lucent Singularity appears to warp the environment within its radius indicator. Her Steel Legion skin however, does not have the same effect. Is this intended? I always thought the warp effect was one of the most iconic aspects to Lucent Singularity. Aside from the simple fact that it's a particle animation I feel that Lux's E now overall feels different in terms of game play/counter play. It's more difficult to see Lucent Singularity in the middle of battle without the warping effect. As it stands now, Lux players can cast and detonate E before anyone can tell whether they are within its aoe range. Sure they can see the light anomaly, but is that good enough especially when every other Lux skin includes the warp effect on E?

I went ahead and provided a direct visual comparison of the 2 animations.

http://i45.tinypic.com/e7apue.png

Quote:
ExjK:
800 views now.

I don't expect Riot to acknowledge this thread and proceed to edit the animation. However I do expect a proper response as to whether the absence of Lucent Singularity's warping effect is intended for Steel Legion Lux. I have always been under the impression that Riot cares deeply about how skills effect play/counter play, and I truly feel that removing the warp effect directly affects how the masses of players will visualize and respond to the skill. This raises the question of whether or not this may be seen as an inconsistency between Lux's skins...or in other words will people feel obligated to purchase the Steel Legion skin so that they can take advantage of the new E's drastic transparency?

Ultimately, the answer is yes and no. Some will buy it for that reason and some will buy it out of genuine interest. Either way you look at it, there's no ignoring the fact that the skill now feels different on both ends. It giving a competitive edge to those who utilize its transparency is a different issue in itself, but the same point remains...as it stands now the E is inconsistent to the other skins.

ExjK

01-30-2013

Any thoughts?

ExjK

01-31-2013

Why all the views and no comments? Obviously Steel Legion Lux's Lucent Singularity animation is worse than her default...and I say that because by comparison the SL Lux E has almost no animation at all. For a legendary skin this sure is disappointing, I love the skin overall but this is really making me reconsider.. =(

TheGreatKraksby

01-31-2013

I agree, it's hard to tell where it actually is ingame when she is on the enemy team.

ExjK

01-31-2013

Quote:
get KRAKEN:
I agree, it's hard to tell where it actually is ingame when she is on the enemy team.

I noticed that on both her default and SL skins, the range indicator (blue/red circle around the skill) is delayed after the skill is cast. I believe that part of the animation is intended, however because Steel Legion Lux does not have the same warping effect that her default does...when the skill is cast, the only part of the skill that an enemy can clearly see is the light orb in the center. The range indicator is delayed and there is no warping so it's almost impossible to see properly. What's even worse is that the player can cast E and detonate it before the range indicator even appears...talk about hard to counter play right?

Ashurion

01-31-2013

Quote:
ExjK:
I noticed that on both her default and SL skins, the range indicator (blue/red circle around the skill) is delayed after the skill is cast. I believe that part of the animation is intended, however because Steel Legion Lux does not have the same warping effect that her default does...when the skill is cast, the only part of the skill that an enemy can clearly see is the light orb in the center. The range indicator is delayed and there is no warping so it's almost impossible to see properly. What's even worse is that the player can cast E and detonate it before the range indicator even appears...talk about hard to counter play right?

Just try remembering how big its range is and when you see light ball coming (doesn't matter if it's q or e), stay away from it.

But the e for the skin really does look worse.

ExjK

01-31-2013

Quote:
Ashurion:
Just try remembering how big its range is and when you see light ball coming (doesn't matter if it's q or e), stay away from it.

But the e for the skin really does look worse.

That's true, I didn't mean counter play is non-existent. I just meant that there is less visual counter play and some players who aren't as experienced against Lux might find it hard to dodge and even harder to see/predict. Aside from the negative gameplay situations that may come of this animation, it's supposed to be legendary nonetheless. I understand a lot of time and effort was put into Steel Legion Lux, but this is really preposterous. >.<

ExjK

01-31-2013

To be honest I just don't understand the design intention of her new E animation. The only difference between the 2 that I can see in the picture, aside from the warping effect, is the center anomaly seems to be a bit brighter in her Steel Legion skin. Surely the sound file is new, but regardless I think the warping effect is an iconic aspect to her overall theme. Removing it, making the anomaly brighter and adding a new sound file is not so legendary in my opinion...and maybe even a little bit disgraceful to Lux's thematic integrity. >.<

I want to apologize for being a bit harsh, especially if this was simply overlooked by accident and will be fixed before it goes live. I respect all of the hard work everyone at Riot puts into designing great content for their players. It's for that very reason I am passionate about this small detail.

nfong

01-31-2013

SL Lux is going to be a legendary?

ExjK

01-31-2013

Quote:
nfong:
SL Lux is going to be a legendary?

I thought it was honestly, if not then my apologies. Either way I think the point of this thread outweighs the price of the skin.