Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So I'm new here, and I've been thinking...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HunterHagen

01-30-2013

If we're here to help Riot find bugs, test features, etc, wouldn't that mean not playing a game normally?

I'd assume a tester would try all sorts of item/ability combinations on champions and many other mixups. This would be the equivalent of trolling in an actual match.

So where is the line between testing and trolling?

IntrospectionMan

01-30-2013

How is testing item combinations any form of testing? It basically achieves nothing outside of the viability of said combinations, and even then you can do that on customs, so this shouldn't be an issue anyhow.

namora

01-30-2013

The line is in custom games, where you can test all you want. generally you'll explore different features during normal games, and if you find something that conflicts, you'll get a custom started and try to reproduce the problem. If you can reproduce the issue semi-reliably, you post on the forums about the bug/glitch and ask people to confirm it with you, or by themselves in a custom.

I know this doesn't explain it too well, but the best way I can is to say don't buy something ineffective towards winning on other players time, it's almost guaranteed to royally disrupt someones cool.

~Summoner namora, of the lower case.

HunterHagen

01-30-2013

Quote:
IntrospectionMan:
How is testing item combinations any form of testing? It basically achieves nothing outside of the viability of said combinations, and even then you can do that on customs, so this shouldn't be an issue anyhow.

A bug can solve multiple answers. While the first look may seem insignificant, it can be used to theorize how it may affect other champs/combinations.

Quote:
namora:
The line is in custom games, where you can test all you want. generally you'll explore different features during normal games, and if you find something that conflicts, you'll get a custom started and try to reproduce the problem. If you can reproduce the issue semi-reliably, you post on the forums about the bug/glitch and ask people to confirm it with you, or by themselves in a custom.

I know this doesn't explain it too well, but the best way I can is to say don't buy something ineffective towards winning on other players time, it's almost guaranteed to royally disrupt someones cool.

~Summoner namora, of the lower case.

Are there custom rooms dedicated for this? I mean what if you want to test the possibility of a bug in a 5v5 situation?

IntrospectionMan

01-30-2013

Quote:
HunterHagen:
A bug can solve multiple answers. While the first look may seem insignificant, it can be used to theorize how it may affect other champs/combinations.

Are there custom rooms dedicated for this? I mean what if you want to test the possibility of a bug in a 5v5 situation?

Why would a bug appear only during a 5v5 and only during a certain builld. Again, why not do a custom with 5v5 bots so you can get gold quicker and thus test out said builds.

HunterHagen

01-30-2013

Quote:
IntrospectionMan:
Why would a bug appear only during a 5v5 and only during a certain builld. Again, why not do a custom with 5v5 bots so you can get gold quicker and thus test out said builds.

Why would a bug appear at all?
I guess 5v5 bots works, but it's not what I had in mind. I was thinking more like testing scenarios with other players, like if anything could go wrong in a specific string of events.