Someone PLEASE explain to me how the elo system works

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pill Popper

01-30-2013

I must be mistaken on how this is supposed to work. The system itself was designed for a 1v1 game (chess) and it simply doesn't seem to work in a team game.

asmit10z

01-30-2013

To be basic about it, it goes off of your win/loss ratio and the win/loss ratio of the teammates that you won/lossed with. Atleast, that's how I think it works anyway.

Voyles

01-30-2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

It might have been designed for chess but it is used for many team games such as basketball, football, and soccer. So, your assumption that it doesn't seem to work in a team game is wrong.

There's math behind it. It is used to predict outcomes of future events based on past events. In the case of LoL, it predicts which team should win by the combination of Elo ratings of the players in the game. If the prediction was right or wrong, it makes adjustments to the Elo ratings to make better predictions. Since the only real outcome is a win or a loss, none of what people consider the contributions are even considered for Elo ratings.

Voyles

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrustorz View Post
Which only makes sense if your team remains the same such as in basketball, football, soccer. Not solo queue.
So every time someone goes on the injure list or you switch out pitchers every game in baseball, you should change the team's Elo? Since you brought solo queue up, did you know that Elo is used in Guild Wars, Wow, Unreal Tournament, and other games where teams don't stay the same? I don't think I'll even get close in LoL to the Elo I had in the Unreal Tournament games 2300+ in all game types and 2600+ in Death Matches. I'm not even rated in LoL because I play more for fun and not going to spend near as much time as I did with UT. But, I never blamed Elo for being inaccurate.