Karma's Viability?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnaIPrincess

01-31-2013

I honestly couldn't find another section where this would be more appropriate in. And since my thread on general discussion got bumped off the page in a matter of 30 seconds, I figured I'll try here. So if it's the wrong one, I apologize. But anyways, first time poster and a fairly new LoL player. I've really enjoyed the support role more than anything else. I've also been mainly doing bot games to familiarize myself with the map, the items, and opposing champions. But I'm planning on definitely getting into PVP with friends real soon. So I was thinking of buying Karma as she looked the most fun out of all the support champions in her Spotlight and some plays I've seen of her. But then I started reading she's falls off hard late game. So I didn't really want to waste my points on a not viable champion. So I guess my question is, is she viable? Or should I just buy a different support champion?

Jameskiy

01-31-2013

Go straight into pvp, focus on farming and not killing thats the main difference between bot and normal games. I never played bot games until i was like level 24 and found out about them. just have fun and dont worry about bullys or anything. its ok to be new, also, i havnt played karma, but i found janna fun, knocking up people and stuff. look at the champions moves when you go to the abilities tab and see if you liked them, dont give in to hype, i thought fizz would be awesome because people said he was fun and good but it turned out i disliked him. so cehck out the moves!

Ernest P Worrel

01-31-2013

There are much better supports then Karma, not to say that she isn't good at the job. Its not that she isn't viable in lanes so much as every other support plays the role a little better.

If you ask me, Karma is a much better mid then support, I don't know much though

R66Y

01-31-2013

The answer is....kinda.

At lower levels of play, any champion is "viable" because games are largely decided based on the mistakes players make. No one is using their champion to their full potential so it is reasonable for any champion to thrive in the hands of a skilled enough player. Far more important to focus on map awareness, general strategy and tactics, and how to properly get CS (which is probably the biggest single thing you can work on to improve you ranking for low level players).

At high levels of play, Karma has issues when put into the standard team composition. She has good utility, but tends to be more money hungry than other support, and her reliance on her mantras for some of her utility (specifically her heal) tends to make her less useful than the other supports. As an AP Carry type role, she is likewise outshined by AP mages that can hit harder and more consistently. She occupies a weird middle ground between AP mage and Support which doesn't fit nicely into most team composition, so you don't see her in top competitive matches often.

All that said, she is fun to play imho, and unless you are looking to go pro that should be your main concern. And who knows, in a month or a year, given the ever changing nature of the game, she may become completely OP (or UP, goes both ways). I can think of many champions that were considered troll picks only to be insta-ban / pick a few weeks later after a few tweaks were made, or the meta changed, or someone started playing them in a new or unusual role, so picking a champion based on their current fit or generally assumed power is not the best way to decide on a champion.