It me, or does the new SoulStealer look crappy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2009

Mejai's Soulstealer sucks now. It needs to be changed back asap.

JayceJa

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilpigeon View Post
How would you recommend replacing that ap gained from soulstealer then? Mejai's was a staple for a lot of casters and the new version requires for you to anihalate the opposition for it to be worthwhile buying about 1400 gold for a dead end item that I reckon would average me between 5-7 stacks and doesn't build into anything... it's not worth it.

This combined with the catalyst nerf has been quite a big nerf to casters as both their early-mid game damage and their survivability have been nerfed. Obviously these aren't the only caster items but both were pretty integral to alot of builds and I'm not sure there is anything stepping up to take their places...
the nerf to catalyst was because catalyst was overpowered, and is NOT a nerf to casters

EVERYONE got catalysts, so its a nerf to every champion in the game pretty much

as for replacing the old soulstealer, grab some survivability and the new soulstealer, or go for non-snowball items if you are not going to snowball

non-snowballing players and characters were never MEANT to have access to that amount of AP so cheaply, so of course you are not going to be able to replace it without actually snowballing

Ksielvin

12-04-2009

Quote:
How would you recommend replacing that ap gained from soulstealer then? Mejai's was a staple for a lot of casters and the new version requires for you to anihalate the opposition for it to be worthwhile buying about 1400 gold for a dead end item that I reckon would average me between 5-7 stacks and doesn't build into anything... it's not worth it.
You don't replace it with a direct equivalent because there deliberately is none. The old Mejai's was certainly great for AP but it was rather out of line with other items. You'd have that sweetspot when you hit early Mejai's and gain hugely over anyone who can't do the same effectively.

Not a fan of the new Mejai's either. Archangel's Staff is nice just because so many AP items make you pay for mana too, but that build blooms much later. If you want to make some gains before phys dps carries start to shine, Void Staff (or MR reduction or penetration) could be interesting so the non-scaling damage of nukes does more for you. Also currently trying Deathfire Grasp in that "early nuke item" slot, problem is I forget to use its active and only benefit from the stats.

Evilpigeon

Adjudicator

12-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayceJa View Post
non-snowballing players and characters were never MEANT to have access to that amount of AP so cheaply, so of course you are not going to be able to replace it without actually snowballing
My point was in part that new mejai's does not serve to replace the early ap boost gained from mejai's, hence my problem. If the new one allowed me to build up that same edge early game then i'd be fine with it.

Admittedly I've only played a couple of games since the patch so my opinion might change with time but it's certainly made my games more difficult.

Might try going for deathfire's as the person above said...

Somnambulist

12-04-2009

Casters who can't make great use of the snowballing mejai's now have trouble with the mid game, which can, just like dota, make casters useless in the endgame. weee.

Consider high tier; where casters are there to drop high dmg nuke spells to shut down carries and runners as well as disable the team. The more skill a team has the more they are going to focus fire the caster, which means no stacks, which means mejai's won't be bought and casters will be nothing but moving cc with rod of ages and arch angel. Sounds fun.

Critical Error

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2009

Quote:
My point was in part that new mejai's does not serve to replace the early ap boost gained from mejai's, hence my problem. If the new one allowed me to build up that same edge early game then i'd be fine with it.

Admittedly I've only played a couple of games since the patch so my opinion might change with time but it's certainly made my games more difficult.

Might try going for deathfire's as the person above said...
Yes, this really did hurt early game power. Now I think the best item to rush is void. You dont get max benefit of void until they stack MR, but it will give decent AP and some mana, which early game is needed. Mejai's offered a pretty big damage boost early game, not even accounting the charges. Now we have to pay 400ish more for something of similar effect.

I was kind of hoping the haunting guise would be more similar to brutalizer, ie AP instead of regens.

Also, about Deathfire, great item. Kind of way more expensive to fill Mejai's spot (wait too long before etting any hp items as a caster nd youre just food). My big problem with it is that you cant put it in your inventory slots as you want it. I guess its a small point, but I eventually memorize spots and just press the approprate hotbutton. I would get deathfire more often if I was, to say, be able to place it in my 1 spot all the time. As it is now, it is always different each game.

innociv

12-05-2009

I like the idea of the carry-only items, and them not being must-have items.

But I don't like the new Mejai's.

There is also a lack of a high AP-only item, and a restore mana item for Kass now.

Patyrn

12-05-2009

For early game AP I think deathfire is a great item. It builds up with nice cheap items. New soulstealer is garbage.

ichi the killer

12-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by innociv View Post
There is also a lack of a high AP-only item, and a restore mana item[...]
I agree with the above quote. Plus the new mejai's is too expensive compared to other "snowball" items.

Restore mana items are mandatory for mana dependent champions like Eve, Kartus, Kass, Annie, etc.

I miss the good old mejai's soulstealer. Is it possible to have it back under a different name?

innociv

12-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patyrn View Post
For early game AP I think deathfire is a great item. It builds up with nice cheap items. New soulstealer is garbage.
Um.. no?

Old Mejai's was 70 AP at the start for 1800 gold or so.

Deathfire is 65AP for 2610.

Abyssal is the best early game damage now I believe.