It me, or does the new SoulStealer look crappy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pope Kehoe III

12-02-2009

They definitely need to put the mana steal back in on a different new item for casters so I can take that on kassadin... The mana steal was the best part of it for him.

Zine

12-02-2009

180 AP potential for 1400ish gold...and you are complaining? The item won't be good for characters like Eve who die when you breath on them, but for the casters who are hard to kill it is an amazingly cheap way to get a ton of AP.

The melee damage snowball item is by far the worst of the bunch.

Lameador

12-02-2009

Basically the new soulstealer will help you to stomp even harder games you would have easily won anyways, but will let you be farmed agaisnt an equal team (1/1 kill ratio)

JayceJa

12-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
180 AP potential for 1400ish gold...and you are complaining? The item won't be good for characters like Eve who die when you breath on them, but for the casters who are hard to kill it is an amazingly cheap way to get a ton of AP..
this, if you are going to die a lot, your not MEANT to get snowball items, which is what the old soulstealer was MEANT to be, but it ended up something completely different that was not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fael View Post
I think the biggest concern is the mana steal. With most of the casters that I play, your mana pool is often low, and netting a kill can sustain your mana pool to continue group fights.

Without the mana steal ability, after burning your cds, you can't do anything because you have no mana, and your physical attacks are useless (speaking from an Annie/Veigar) perspective.

Late game, when you fill up the stacks on the new Mejais, your mana pool will be sufficient enough that the mana gain is somewhat useless.

This change is going to affect the majority of caster item builds for sure.
ill say it again, the removal of the mana steal is the only real non-stupid complaint people have with it, and i agree with this, i would like a new item with the mana stealing of the old soulstealer

Fuertisimo

12-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayceJa View Post
Eve's problems are caused by the nature of stealth, even with old one she was useless because of oracles or warding
This simply adds insult to injury, eve without the mana steal ability has no ability to sustain DPS for long periods of time because of how much mana pain spike can consume over time.

I just played a practice game with Eve and the lack of mana steal was causing me to warp back to base much more frequently.

Critical Error

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2009

But its not about diieing a lot, its about ieing at all. One death can turn your extra 1000g investment into something pretty crappy.

And casters are particularly vulnerable compared to phys dps or tankers. A caster is high burst and high threat until late game, and even then still pretyt easy to kill. Phys dps are not as big a threat until they are geared out. A phys dps getting their snowball isnt risking as much, though benefiting more (cheaper+better passive if full stack). Likewise, a tanker isnt as vulnerable to losing charges either (and again better passive and cheaper). Casters just got the bad end of the stick as they are more likely to die/be targeted at most points in the game, have to pay more for the item, and get less if they actually perform a miracle and get a full stack of charges.

Also, the mana back nerf sucks.

I4mn3wb13

12-03-2009

This might be a stupid question, but I've not read either in the description of the item nor anywhere else whether creep kills also add stacks. The old soulstealer was clear mentioning "champion kill or assist" and the description of bloodthirster says "on kill" which includes creeps.

The new soulstealer says "on kill two stacks and assist one stack", but not champion kills only. So do you also get stacks by killing creeps?

Cleo

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by I4mn3wb13 View Post
This might be a stupid question, but I've not read either in the description of the item nor anywhere else whether creep kills also add stacks. The old soulstealer was clear mentioning "champion kill or assist" and the description of bloodthirster says "on kill" which includes creeps.

The new soulstealer says "on kill two stacks and assist one stack", but not champion kills only. So do you also get stacks by killing creeps?
it's on champion kills, you don't get assists for killing minions so it's supposed to be understood.

Rimxo

12-03-2009

A mage without the old soulstealer is like a elephant without his long nose.

If the old soulstealer was OP you can nerfed him but why deleted?

Maybe a initial 50AP and and 100AP max
Or a initial 30AP and a 100AP max

I will miss the old mejai soulstealer with all my soul TT_TT

PD: sorry for my bad english i am from argentina and i want to give my opinion this time.

Evilpigeon

Adjudicator

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayceJa View Post
ill say it again, the removal of the mana steal is the only real non-stupid complaint people have with it, and i agree with this, i would like a new item with the mana stealing of the old soulstealer
How would you recommend replacing that ap gained from soulstealer then? Mejai's was a staple for a lot of casters and the new version requires for you to anihalate the opposition for it to be worthwhile buying about 1400 gold for a dead end item that I reckon would average me between 5-7 stacks and doesn't build into anything... it's not worth it.

This combined with the catalyst nerf has been quite a big nerf to casters as both their early-mid game damage and their survivability have been nerfed. Obviously these aren't the only caster items but both were pretty integral to alot of builds and I'm not sure there is anything stepping up to take their places...