Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

General Learning Question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Typod

01-30-2013

I'm fairly new to LoL (lvl 11) and have only just returned a few days ago. As any good noob should, I focus on learning the fundamentals so I can be useful in later levels. Thus far, I have played 90% of my matches as Ashe, and a few as Ezreal (both bot ADC's). Now, I've seen tons of, "whats the best champ, derpider..." and I know there isn't a "best" camp. What I'm looking for is two things... first, what is another good role to start learning after ADC? And second, I don't know many champs and what role they fill, what would be some good, easy options to start learning said role? I don't expect an exact answer, just your personal suggestions are fine.

Thanks for any help and responses!

Typod

01-30-2013

If it helps, I like being paired with someone, but I know many of these games have noob players like myself and don't know the value of team play. A solo role might be a good place to start. I don't expect to really start "learning" the game until 30. By then I should know all the basics, and be ready to start playing for real. lol

Leaf of the lake

01-30-2013

Just try all of them. Not all at once, of course, but over time, expect to learn all the roles; you'll need to if you plan on playing ranked anyway. Focus some time on each, learning bruiser top, ap mid, tanky jungler, adc bot, support bot. The reasoning is simple: you learn the strengths and weaknesses of a wider variety of characters and roles this way. When the game culminates in 5v5 team fights, knowing how each role is going to play its part is very helpful. You may realize that you don't know where you're supposed to be in teamfights when you start a new role; knowledge of how the enemy is going to play will help you when you have to counter them.

Benefits of learning support: You already play adc, so learning support can teach you how better to play with supports when you go adc, and having already been an adc, you should know what the adc needs when you go support; knowing both adc and support will help you play both roles better.

Benefits of learning mid: It's the best lane for roaming for a reason, easily getting to either top or bot for ganks. AP mids tend to be more bursty than sustained damage, and can be a pretty different experience from playing an ADC.

Benefits of learning jungler: One of the best alternative roles to learn for any position, imo. By jungling yourself, you get a feel for when enemy junglers will want to come gank a lane. The jungler is arguably the most important role in early and mid game because of its constant presence affecting how all lanes play.

Benefits of learning top: Being isolated from much of the rest of the game, top doesn't have as much of an impact in early and mid game. That said, bruisers become great late game, when they're both hard to kill and dish out good damage. Top may be an easier place to learn how to solo lane than mid (a major difference from the duo lane you're used to in bot), due to ganks being more infrequent than in the other lanes.

And of course, there's the advantage of possibly finding a new role you like better with any of these. I tried to be pretty general, since when you go to learn a new role, you can't just learn one character and call yourself done; there are many different kinds of champs that fill each role. Katarina and ryze can both go mid, but they're extremely different champions. Likewise, blitzcrank and sona are two vastly different supports. Amumu and shaco are both junglers, but beyond that similarity, they're entirely different characters. I'm sure you've noticed even with ez and ashe, that while they both rely on their autoattacks for damage, the way their skills work into their gameplay is pretty different; the variation among other roles is even greater.

Good luck.

FrazzledMelon

01-30-2013

Great advice from Leaf.

Couple other thoughts. It seems like Top and Mid are the two most popular picks at lower levels, so if you go that route you need to be prepared to have two other guys wanting to play top a lot of the time. Of course you can always play your bruiser bot... While you're working your way to 30 that's not uncommon if no one wants to play support, or ADC for that matter. Jungle is a lot of fun, but I wouldn't really think about it until you're 20. It's almost impossible before that, and even at 20 you'll find a lot of folks don't know how to work with a jungler yet, so it can be frustrating.

Typod

01-30-2013

awesome response! Thank you very much, this is what I am really looking for. Browsing champs and sorting them by role doesn't really help that much because there's no description, which you have outlined very well here!

Ya, I love Ezreal because he's fun to play, but I'm a little better at Ashe (not that I'm terribly great at either). I just feel bad locking in my ADC as fast as I can because I don't know how to play anything else. I'll try setting up some bot games and running a few champs in each role to see who I like best, then try him/her out for a bit. I'm probably not ready to jungle because I'm sure I'd miss tons of opportunities to gank and support other lanes, so I think I'll try AP mid, or possibly solo top first.

Learning new roles will help me with gear too, I'm sure. I've got in a rut where I know what to buy in what order, but not situational items. I get late game with Ez, I have all my main items, but could use a little more AS or a little more MD... I'm lost. lol. Thanks again for the good info!

asmit10z

01-30-2013

woah woah hold up a sec. You said "but could use a little more AS or a little more MD". If you're an ADC you shouldn't be getting Magic Damage.(If that's what you mean and you didn't just type MD for MR)

Onij

01-30-2013

Other peoples posts were tl;dr

You play ADC, so you know what an ADC likes in a support. Try out support. You'll almost alway get it in role call, and you can stick to just learning the same champions you'd have to learn otherwise ;o

http://www.lolking.net/champions/ has a list of all of the champions and what part of the meta they fit into, so you could spend some time looking (it's not 100% accurate but you'll get the idea on most of them)

Runa44

01-30-2013

I only started playing a couple of months ago and like you I started with ashe. I'm going to repeat some of the things leaf said, forgive me.

At a young level top lane was the easiest for me to pick up. Alot of tanky champions able to dish out champions and take a bit too. Good place to get a feel for csing and knowing when to harass. It was good for me because top lane is so isolated its like an island out there.

After top laning I went to support because I knew that getting the adc fed was huge. Play some op supports to get used to the feel. For example I started on blitz and then went to alistar and then more commonly played supports ex sona taric lulu. It gives you a good feel for bot lane and when to initiate and when to back off.

After supporting for a while mid was next up and you can take a couple approaches. You can start off with ad champs mid such as panth wukong or talon. Play someone with a good escape like morgana, stun slow shield really help for having a good experience mid.

Adc next because since you supported you know as an adc what is good to do and what isn't. As a mid you learned to farm well. These are crucial aspects to take to adcing. Make sure you keep your eyes on the roaming mids you had to deal with before.

Jungler should be last because it is the most challenging to play correctly. Having been in every other lane it will give you the knowledge to know when someone is having a rough time of it. Try starting off with hecarim he's a really good jungler or nocturne.

Best of luck man hope you enjoy learning the new roles

Jesustim

01-30-2013

to learn cs and positioning you're at a good start with ADC
to learn cooperative play run support a bit
to learn dueling run mid/top lane
to learn complete map awareness play jungle.

put all the lessons together and take lessons from teamfighting in each case and you'll be a solid player. As far as champions to try out for the roles, just work your way down every champion available, find where they fit, and practice it.

Ericcb1

01-30-2013

If you want to jungle, I'd recommend starting out with either Warwick or Nunu because of their natural sustain in the jungle from warwicks passive and nunu's q. Then you can move to other jungles without natural sustain. Right now my favorite jungler is shyvana.