@Lyte, A Suggestion Regarding Honor

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xathrian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2013

Hey Lyte, here's hoping you actually read this at some point.

Currently, I am attending college for a degree in Behavioral Science. Since I also happen to love League of Legends, the efforts to change players' in-game behavior is incredibly interesting to me.

I know that by pure stats honor has had a significant and positive impact on the community. With that success in mind, I have a suggestion that could make it even better. There are already two separate categories for honor: honor for allies, and honor for opponents. This honor can be given in the post game screen only. I think that's a mistake.

Operating under the assumption that honor serves as a reward for the majority of summoners, why not try to make sure this is linked more specifically to behavior? I know that when I receive honor from my teammates, I often wonder what prompted them to give me honor for that match. If honoring teammates could be done within the match itself, it could serve a few purposes.

The primary function would be that the reward for the player (honor) could be more closely linked to specific behaviors. For example, communicating well with an ally and pulling off a stellar gank could be quickly rewarded with teamwork honor. This will have a much stronger effect than if the honor came after the match was over and the summoner had left the lobby.

A secondary function would be to make it easier for players to report people who spam requests for honor. In my current experience, requests for honor almost invariably happen in the post-game lobby which does not show up in the tribunal. If allies can only award honor in the game itself, requesting said honor would be a far easier thing for players to report.

I'm sure putting honor in the post-game lobby was a carefully considered choice, but I had an idea so I decided it might be worth braving the forums about.

Fusionkast

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2013

Two scenarios:

Scenario 1: Three teammates are raging at each other nonstop. The chat becomes unbearable to read due to the high intensity spamming of offensive remarks. You go about your business and make a great play. Your non-offending teammate gives you honor for teamwork. But the other three teammates continue to rage at each other. The honor gets drowned in a sea of hate. Game ends. The last thing you remember is three teammates wanting to rip each other apart.

Scenario 2: Three teammates are raging at each other nonstop. The chat becomes unbearable to read due to the high intensity spamming of offensive remarks. You go about your business and make a great play. Game ends. At the end of the game you receive honor for teamwork. The last thing you remember is receiving honor after a horrible game. Feels good. Nudges you to play another game.

Also think about this. If honor could be given in game what is to prevent a troll from waiting for honor to be given to him before going back to his usual bad behavior.

Xathrian

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionkast View Post
Two scenarios:

Scenario 1: Three teammates are raging at each other nonstop. The chat becomes unbearable to read due to the high intensity spamming of offensive remarks. You go about your business and make a great play. Your non-offending teammate gives you honor for teamwork. But the other three teammates continue to rage at each other. The honor gets drowned in a sea of hate. Game ends. The last thing you remember is three teammates wanting to rip each other apart.

Scenario 2: Three teammates are raging at each other nonstop. The chat becomes unbearable to read due to the high intensity spamming of offensive remarks. You go about your business and make a great play. Game ends. At the end of the game you receive honor for teamwork. The last thing you remember is receiving honor after a horrible game. Feels good. Nudges you to play another game.
Thank you for your input, but that's just not how rewards work. The closer to a response a reward is received, the more it can come to control that response. Consciously or not, if the honor is a reward for the player, awarding it quickly after a relevant play will increase the frequency of the rewarded behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionkast View Post
Also think about this. If honor could be given in game what is to prevent a troll from waiting for honor to be given to him before going back to his usual bad behavior.
That is very easy behavior to report. People who would do that aren't going to simply not troll under other circumstances. If a feature encouraging a small portion of the community to troll in a way that is easily reported meant that feature shouldn't be in league of legends, the game wouldn't exist. It's about measuring pros and cons.