What makes the Assassin class any different from the others?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VoltaireLeone

01-29-2013

I was reading the guide in the tactics section and it states that there are 5 "roles": tank, support, mage, dps, and jungler and nowhere in it does it mention assassins. What makes them so special? Even though they're called assassins, I found it just as easy to gank people as dps or carry, and what I also found confusing was that some of the assassins that often had large amounts of health like Pantheon weren't considered tanks. How come?

GoombaStompin

Recruiter

01-29-2013

Assasain is a term we use to describe high mobility and high burst champions. Their goal is to zip past the tanks on the enemy team, and destroy the opponent's mvp (hense the assasinate).

~Common differences for assasains is that usually after they perform their "burst combo" they are left in a near useless state until their cooldowns come back up. Where as their counter parts whether ad or ap will continue to put out a steady flow of dps rather than an upfront burst.
~Assain's are also notorious for an extreme lack of crowd control. You won't see Talon, Akali, or LeBlanc stunning the entire enemy team, but you will see them dart in rip the enemy adc to shreds and dart out with tricky steath and blinking abilities.

It is also important to note that Assasain's are considered snow ball champs and MUST gain an early advantage to be revelant later. Say Akali has a bad laning phase and then fails in the early team fights as well, she will be a useless pest due to the fact she has no utility. Where as say a tank like Malphite or a mage like Orianna will always be super useful even if they do terribly early. They have the utility and big aoe CCs that an assasain will never have.

One popular strategy for Assasains is to build extremely tanky with Warmogs, Black Clevear and other tanky items. This dramatically lowers their damage out put, but still allows for their high mobility and ability to stick to a target. This allows Nocturne, Lee Sin, and Others to achieve "bruiser" status and absorb much of the enemies damage while they stick like glue to the enemy mvp.

VoltaireLeone

01-29-2013

gee, you make it sound like assassin is a sucky class

wHiSkErTeMx73744

01-29-2013

Just a couple weeks ago it was the most powerful class you could play (then they nerfed Black Cleaver). They are quite niche, but they excel at what they do. All it takes is a little finesse.

edit: I have no idea where all these downvotes are coming from.

BurstDemon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/34903552#history

I d/ced in the beginning of 3 of those games, which were losses. The other I just got dominated in. So yeah, early game really does matter.

4Degreez

01-29-2013

cc, ap and jungler are roles defined by the meta, while assasain is a class designed by the game developer. tank and support are where these terminologies intercept each other.

Jericho Hombre

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltaireLeone View Post
gee, you make it sound like assassin is a sucky class
It's the kind of class that knowing when to go in is more important than executing properly. My two top champs are Talon and Kha'Zix, but I'll break down a an example with Talong for you.

I always have my combo ready to go and have it down to a science that can be completed in less than 2 seconds.

I use my E (dashes to a target silencing them for 2 seconds and increases my damage output to that target while the silence is up).

I throw my W (the rake, that adds a slow).

autoattack once, then activate Q (it resets the AA timer, so it increases the amount of damage I can do.

Use my ult and run away.

So basically, Talon does a ton of damage during that time, but once my combo is down I have about 10 seconds before I can do it again (minus my ult of course). In between I'm reduced to auto attacks at melee range and am extremely squishy. So the most important thing to do is decide when to go in during a fight.

Basically when a team fight starts I always find myself in a bush, and I wait until I see my opponents cast their CC abilities and then jump in on the opposing Carry or AP mage. I will always get a free kill out of it and am generally good to run away after I kill them. The biggest thing to remember with an assassin is that they're meant to assassinate someone, meaning they focus on ONE target. Once their target is dead it's time to escape until their cooldowns come back up. If the fight is still going on I'll go back in and pick a new target.

It can be a very hard class to learn but once you have them down the assassins are fantastic.

Cynical Rain

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHiSkErTeMx73744 View Post
They are quite niche, but they excel at what they do. All it takes is a little finesse..
So many freakin' people on this forum use "Meta" without completely understanding what they're saying, but that's alright.

Then there's so many freakin' people on many forums using "niche". What the hell are you talking about? How does "niche" fit into that sentence?