Riven Tips

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zeithis

01-29-2013

Hi guys, I'm posting just to ask some of you if you can give me some tips on Riven. Since its on tryout this time, I better take advantage of this. Any help is welcomed. Thanks!

necrosis09

01-30-2013

Riven is my main character. Sometimes, her q is difficult to control. But keep in mind, that when you push your q, it will go where ever your cursor is.

As far as build, I always start with something with cool-down (usually under recommended) then start building ad and life steal.

I usually start by leveling all of my abilities at first and then lvl my q up a couple time, then my w, then the rest of my q and then alternate between my e and w.

I hope this helps. Riven can be very good. I just recently won my 3v3 match 19-2-3. She's great, but she takes a lot of practice.

Good luck!!

OoziHobo

01-30-2013

My opinion is not backed by any kind of elo or high number of wins, but here is some of my advice for one of my favorite champions:

Tip 1: This does come down to preference, but if solo topping I strongly urge you to take teleport. Her lane sustain is not as good as it was before the last nerf, and so being able to grab health and get a quick item advantage (sometimes without your opponent even knowing) is super helpful for any top laner.

Tip 2: I think one of the biggest tells between a veteran Riven and a new Riven is the skills they max first. New Rivens see that their Q does more damage and think that's a no brainer, right? Well, leveling it up does not reduce its CD at all, where as her W and E become spammable if you level them up. The trick to winning a 1v1 with Riven isn't "more damage from my Q!" it's being able to shield and stun 3-4 times during an engagement.

Personally, I tend to level the shield first. It allows me to win all trades, escape ganks, initiate pokes, tower dive, dodge skill shots... other uses I'm not thinking of... I love it.

Tip 3: Her passive is her greatest source of damage. It takes practice, but try and fight the instinct to smash all her skill set at once for max damage, and allow an auto attack between each move (unless you just don't have the time of course). Not only does this do more damage, but sometimes it fools them into thinking they can beat you in a trade. When a Riven is bursting and flopping around like a fish most people avoid her and attack during her window of CD, but by pacing your skills they stick around longer before they sense they're about to lose... hopefully your ult will take care of what's left of their health bar.

Tip 4: Despite auto attacking for increased damage output, it is not Riven's main source of damage. This means you do not need to build attack speed items. This also means you don't need to build crit chance either. What you need is attack damage and sustain. More attack damage means all your moves do more damage, more sustain means you get to do many rotations of those moves.

Cooldown reduction is nice, but isn't necessary. And despite what I just said about atk speed and crit, a Sword of the Divine can be tons of fun on Riven. =3

Tip 5: Use your brain, she is a terrific duelist if you know your opponent's champion. I'm still struggling with this tip myself because I'm not familiar with a lot of champions. But when I'm losing top lane, I read a guide on the champion that beat me and play them if I can. This usually lets me know why I lost. Lose to Olaf? Find out he goes crazy the closer he is to death? Oh, maybe I should save my stun for when he is low health to mitigate his damage/lifesteal when it's at its best!

A thousand little things like that, which in a word, is just experience. GLHF.

Hyosun

01-30-2013

most of what you need to know, if not all, is in this solomid guide.

you will see advanced tips like cancelling the animation on riven's ult by using flash and some core advice like using flash to maximize aoe dmg when ult is up.

it has 600 upvotes. on solomid its probably one of the more well-known guides, along with ego ignaxio's kennen guide.

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=...en-build-guide

Zeithis

01-30-2013

Thanks guys right not I'm going great with low deaths

Pandapal

01-30-2013

I jungle riven, and some very important little things are incommon that people tend to forget. The MOST important one I can think is utilizing her Q. I never max Q first, for various reasons mentioned above and more because of the benefits of E and W.

The best example I can give is duelling garen. A lot of newer players will utilize her Q to get to her target, but suddenly have to E to get away, an ability that gives you a shield, much better IMO for entering a fight =] when I was top against garen, every time he approached the wave I would E to him, W then auto him once. He'd rush at me, and try to spin. I would just Q over the creep wave, without taking any damage.

There are more uses of Q, but I tend to think of it as an escape or chase ability, where you aim to either land all of the hits on the enemy, or none.

Zeithis

01-31-2013

Yeap I used to max Q first now i probably max w or e depending on the opponent I'm facing.

a1sock

02-01-2013

q does so little damage in lower ranks, I do not see how you can really bully a good top with just charged autos when they are using their highest damage abilities, but Its definately something I will try, as I have used riven much less since the recent changes.

Grombolar

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis09 View Post
Riven is my main character. Sometimes, her q is difficult to control. But keep in mind, that when you push your q, it will go where ever your cursor is.

As far as build, I always start with something with cool-down (usually under recommended) then start building ad and life steal.

I usually start by leveling all of my abilities at first and then lvl my q up a couple time, then my w, then the rest of my q and then alternate between my e and w.

I hope this helps. Riven can be very good. I just recently won my 3v3 match 19-2-3. She's great, but she takes a lot of practice.

Good luck!!
Only if your cursor is on a target, otherwise it will go where she is facing. This is key to controlling your jumps with Q.

When chasing someone, DO NOT hold the cursor on them and Q if they are very close to you as this will scale the range of the Q's dash to put you right next to them and result in almost zero distance gained from the Q allowing them an easier escape. Rather, make sure you are running towards them and have your cursor not on them and you will do a full distance Q dash putting you on top of or ahead of them. This is extremely important for the 3rd Q since if you jump over them you will knock them backwards and put yourself in between them and their escape route. This is hard to master but means the difference between getting a kill and losing it.

I used to max W first but have switched to maxing Q first for better damage and wave clear and I've had much better results. You will farm like a BEAST if you max Q first and will also destroy Teemo's easily since your Q damage isn't affected by blind.

Zeithis

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grombolar View Post
Only if your cursor is on a target, otherwise it will go where she is facing. This is key to controlling your jumps with Q.

When chasing someone, DO NOT hold the cursor on them and Q if they are very close to you as this will scale the range of the Q's dash to put you right next to them and result in almost zero distance gained from the Q allowing them an easier escape. Rather, make sure you are running towards them and have your cursor not on them and you will do a full distance Q dash putting you on top of or ahead of them. This is extremely important for the 3rd Q since if you jump over them you will knock them backwards and put yourself in between them and their escape route. This is hard to master but means the difference between getting a kill and losing it.

I used to max W first but have switched to maxing Q first for better damage and wave clear and I've had much better results. You will farm like a BEAST if you max Q first and will also destroy Teemo's easily since your Q damage isn't affected by blind.
Interesting I'm going to try this also I find myself using the ulti as a carry skill. Can anyone tell me when is the best time to cast the ulti?