Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

State of Player Behavior on the PBE - Present and Future

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ashlacon

02-16-2013

Awesome! If we can get the toxic players under-control can we reopen account creation?

NotDevan

02-17-2013

Three games in a row I've encountered leavers and/or bad attitude. But I don't let it bother me; I smile knowing that some day soon they will log in, and be told that they've been banned.

Best of luck in improving player behavior.

Jon The Rock Man

02-18-2013

How about when people from different countries who play on PBE curse in their own langauge and some people ( speaking english ) don't understand? Will the new system detect that as well?

Desperado Dave

02-18-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
Hey everyone,

Since the PBE launched, it has proven an extremely valuable resource that has raised the quality of our content patches; however, from a player behavior perspective, we have not done our part to make the PBE an enjoyable test environment.

That’s all changing.

In the past year, the player behavior team has learned a lot from systems like the Tribunal, LeaverBuster and the Honor Initiative, and we are going to incorporate some of those lessons into the PBE. However, we are going to take a slightly different approach; for example, we are not going to just create a “PBE Tribunal” and call it a day.

To us, the PBE is a premium server where we expect more from our players, and the standards of player behavior can be higher than the live platforms. The PBE effort should be a collaboration between the developers and our community, and should be a place where players can play games with developers on any given day and directly contribute feedback that can shape the game.

We are going to try a lot of creative ideas to improve player behavior on PBE; however, we need your help. We have been recording and analyzing Report and Honor data on the PBE, and need you to continue to report toxic players and honor positive players to help inform our new player behavior initiatives on the PBE.

As an example, we have implemented a system on PBE that will automatically detect toxic behaviors and ban the players the same day—this system will go live today and will immediately punish 167 players with a 7 day ban. Depending on the consistency and severity of the toxic behaviors, this system will hand out bans that range in severity from a 7 day ban to a permanent ban from the PBE environment. This system will start off conservative and may have hiccups at first, but we hope to ramp up the aggressiveness of this system while maintaining a goal of 99% accuracy with a false positive rate of less than 1%.

The player behavior team has also been brainstorming punishments in addition to or instead of bans. We have always known that bans are not an ideal punishment solution when players can simply create new accounts, and we would like to experiment with some potential alternatives on the PBE. We believe the PBE community will see immediate benefits from these experiments even though they are not completely developed or polished yet. I am excited to talk more about the first experiment, and will update you when we are closer to rolling it out on PBE.

Longer-term, we are brainstorming ways to make players more accountable for their behaviors on PBE. Whether that is linking live accounts to PBE accounts or an entirely different solution is undecided, but these changes to the PBE will also allow us to completely open up registration to the PBE in the future.

Our take-away message today is quite simple: the PBE has zero tolerance for toxicity, and change is coming.

Help us make the PBE a premium test environment!

Yeayy different punishments for players instead of permabans great idea! This will help stop the cycle of trolls simply making new accounts and using them to troll with. Try to create the troll queue for people who have been found guilty by the tribunal. For 2 weeks they are stuck playing with nothing but trolls. Even trolls dont like being trolled, WORST PUNISHMENT EVER

AKB48OTA

02-19-2013

So in short, reports on tribunal (if valid) will contribute to a ban now?

wontfight

Recruiter

02-19-2013

please vote to see if we can get the trolls out o the PBE

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3147082

mechler

02-24-2013

Are people being aggressively punished? I'm going to start an album on imgur since it feels like there has been no impact of these things on the actual PBE.

http://imgur.com/a/1vKBh

Canchelli

02-25-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
We've considered this option in the past, but there's some interesting questions.

1) Do we give the player who voluntary drops out a bonus? If so, what is the bonus?
2) Is there a bonus to the remaining members of the team of 5, or why would they use this option instead of just winning the game with their 1-man advantage?
3) Is there potential for bullying where a team tends to pick on the support player and tries to vote them off the island?
4) Is working on a solution like this more valuable than working on a solution that simply reduces the number of games that end up 4v5?

Lyte isn't there the option that instead of making the team even by making it a 4v4 , when someone leaves a game for more than 5 mins ( or something like that ) there could be an option for other players to take from where he left ? I mean when you go in the PLAY button, add a new option which would lead you to a list of games with leavers where u could choose one to take on from the leavers game and have again a 5v5 team?

vladtehinhalr

02-25-2013

just played in the most toxic game i've been in for a while. really looking forward to these new initiatives

SaltyMouthfuls

02-26-2013

Can we have an update on this Lyte? Match-made PBE games are still the most frustrating games I have ever played, and reporting still feels useless; it's like trying to break an iceberg by taking a single snowflake away from it once a day. Except you don't even get the confirmation that the snowflake was taken.