Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

State of Player Behavior on the PBE - Present and Future

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StonerBeans

02-11-2013

would it be possible, that when an account is permanently banned, that their name be removed from everybody's ignore list? i ask this in part that ive been here much much longer than most, and my ignore list is starting to get full...

also: as i said prior, ive been here far longer than most, and im curious as to know if i could end up taking a ban. not because im toxic, but over a 16 month period, one can generally find enough fault in a person to warrant a ban....or is this strictly on a weekly thing

Subalternate01

02-11-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
Roleplay in this fashion is generally fine; however, we unfortunately have to enforce the same rules with champion names as we do on live.

This means that in the near future, no one can own a champion name on PBE because a lot of players mistake them as authority figures. In addition, only Rioters can have names with "Riot" in them. This saves us a lot of headaches in the long run with potential player support issues and these players getting random requests.

I know this is somewhat unrelated, But can we get some additional social metrics that can help identify players who need help on league social norms and best practices regarding banning, itemization, and general common game knowledge/skill level?

Example: If I am going into a game and the player who has power over bans makes unconventional bans that could cost the game. Does not communicate well enough when banning or feeds I want to be able to identify said player immediately and offer suggestions or even leave some sort of impression that gives other players subtle warnings/kudos about the type of player they are dealing with.

I realize that we have this with honoring but I feel like honoring happens to infrequently, or that it is not transparent enough to help me work on the things to make me a better player.

For instance if I am a support do I need to learn how skills function? Do I fall into trouble with exchanges? Am I a support that is a kill thief? and so on and so forth for each role I play?

Thanks

ploki122

02-11-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
We've considered this option in the past, but there's some interesting questions.

1) Do we give the player who voluntary drops out a bonus? If so, what is the bonus?
2) Is there a bonus to the remaining members of the team of 5, or why would they use this option instead of just winning the game with their 1-man advantage?
3) Is there potential for bullying where a team tends to pick on the support player and tries to vote them off the island?
4) Is working on a solution like this more valuable than working on a solution that simply reduces the number of games that end up 4v5?

1. I'd say no bonus, or maybe like IP for a X minutes loss, where X is the time he left.
2. No bonus at all, you boot a player to enjoy a 4v4 game... I would gladly play a 4v4 over a 5v4 most of the times, even in ranked. In my mind, this is like an equalize 2.0.
3. I saw this as a equalize for 5v4, so no points in making your support leave... it'll only make the game 4v5, with a slight chance of 4v4.
4. I think that's a terribad approach to the problem... It's like saying "Why would we implement auto-bans when we have tribunal". Just read your own posts, you'll learn about complementary objectives and means, it's the same here. Why have only 1 solution that works in most cases when you can have 3 solutions, working together to form a perfect experience?

Quote:
AbyssionKnight:
5) What if the person on the opposing team rejoins/ finally connects? Will your teammate that volunteers to leave be able to reconnect (aka they can't play another game until the one in play ends, which isn't very fun / rewarding for them ) or will you just simply be left in an unfair situation?

5. Welp... this one is much harder... But I'd say he's kicked from the game, flagged as a leaver and receive no rewards (obviously). To be fair, however, there should be a delay between the leave and the "4v4 equalize", maybe 3 minutes like the announcement thing. And obviously, it has to be started by the 5-man team, otherwise it leads to spamming from the 4-man one.

Basically, I'm not sure how Lyte viewed that feature, but I simply see it as an equalize 2.0, where a player from the team chooses not to play the rest of the game so that the rest of his team can enjoy it. Would it be a feature often used? No... much like equalize, it's very very case specific. Would it fix 4v5s? No, in most cases 4v5 will end up 4v5 and as a loss. Would it help in making the community less toxic? No. What would it allow? It allows for a few games to be actually enjoyable, since in most cases, a 5v4 is nearly as boring as a 4v5... Heck I usually have more fun 4v5 than 5v4.

Oug

02-11-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
Roleplay in this fashion is generally fine; however, we unfortunately have to enforce the same rules with champion names as we do on live.

This means that in the near future, no one can own a champion name on PBE because a lot of players mistake them as authority figures. In addition, only Rioters can have names with "Riot" in them. This saves us a lot of headaches in the long run with potential player support issues and these players getting random requests.

Can we pick our replacement names if we ask ahead of time (nicely)?
Ex - Can I ask for something akin to 'Katarina Bot' in a similar fashion to the infamous 'Renekton Bot' on the live servers?*

*note: Katarina Bot is probably taken right now
**note2: I would have thought that XXXX Bot would be unacceptable, but Renekton Bot was/is a staple on the official forums.

Izisery

Recruiter

02-12-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
We've considered this option in the past, but there's some interesting questions.

1) Do we give the player who voluntary drops out a bonus? If so, what is the bonus?
2) Is there a bonus to the remaining members of the team of 5, or why would they use this option instead of just winning the game with their 1-man advantage?
3) Is there potential for bullying where a team tends to pick on the support player and tries to vote them off the island?
4) Is working on a solution like this more valuable than working on a solution that simply reduces the number of games that end up 4v5?

1. Yes, if the drop is completely voluntary they could earn a very low number of RP, an Icon, or a Ribbon, and it could be all of these things randomly each time you drop. Hell, simply making it so that you earn the team mate badge faster would be worth it to me.

2. Yes, choosing to be a honorable opponent should always come with rewards. It should increase their ability to earn the Honorable opponent badge faster, and give them an IP boost at the end of the game, regardless of outcome, something small like 25 IP.

3. Dropping should be totally optional like voting to surrender. If they attempt to bully it's more likely that they throw the game and lose rather than win, and it will be simple to use the report system to deal with toxic players.

4. I think this is the hardest question, but I feel that there is nothing that riot can do to 100% prevent leaving. Riot cannot control power outages, due to blown fuses, weather or accidental incidents. It cannot control angry parents of summoners who are 5 minutes up past their bedtime. It cannot prevent computer crashes that are unrelated to the league platform. So it should have some system in place that to catch the few incidents that fall through the cracks, that doesn't punish the other players in the game.

deathmage390

02-14-2013

i love what i am reading here and am hopeing to be able to join PBE in march so i can play during my Bday i have 2 people who i play with who are waiting for me to join them on PBE i am trying to learn game design/programming in colledge so PBE realy interests me.

Saebira

02-14-2013

Quote:
deathmage390:
i love what i am reading here and am hopeing to be able to join PBE in march so i can play during my Bday i have 2 people who i play with who are waiting for me to join them on PBE i am trying to learn game design/programming in colledge so PBE realy interests me.

It's a shame people like you can't get on the PBE.

I've played on PBE a whole 3 times, each time I vow to never go back due to the extreme toxicity. The first time I played was to go through the S3 changes but upon taking CV I was harassed so heavily that I didn't go back. Decided to test the new ping system and join a game of all Spanish players that swore at everyone in Spanish, harassed everyone and sat AFK in the fountain. Guess nothing really changed?

Onimarus

02-14-2013

*******http://i.imgur.com/PWlCyL1.jpg********

People like these players really need to just be dealt with sooner than later. It's one of the reasons why I tend to avoid PBE; players only play to test out champions while others intentionally feed and grief solely because "it's only PBE"

Goerts

02-14-2013

I'm sure this has been said in the thread already, and i know it's been said plenty of times before:

Make PBE accounts linked to a players actual account!

This may require wiping all of the current PBE accounts (oh no! you might lose your champs and runes that were handed to you for no effort on your part except waiting a week for more IP!) and have to open the signups all over again, but as long as people log onto PBE knowing that it's just an extra free account they can do whatever with and not have to worry about it, people will continue to make the PBE a complete joke of a server, the place where you only log on to play new champs first.

Gurgluk

02-15-2013

Lots of pages and didn't read through them all. I'm sure someone has agreed to it by now, but linking with an existing account is what I think needs to be done. Must be a lv 30 account and possibly having other requirements. Linking punishment in such a way would "hopefully" deter some players.