Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

State of Player Behavior on the PBE - Present and Future

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akr

02-09-2013

Looking forward to this. I've been trying to get into the PBE for months now but somehow I always just miss signups. It is annoying quite frankly.

Just a thought though, having the system "autoban" players could prove effective short-term, it doesn't seem to be viable long term. I know this may be just as one would say casualties of war even having just a 0.5% margin of error in the system multiplied by the millions of people who play. Can end badly. here are some random numbers to illustrate my point:

Say Right now there is 250,000 PBE players, out of which 100,000 are toxic (based on Lyte's earlier post saying: "there's a higher number of toxic players on PBE currently compared to other servers&quot. with a 0.5% error that means that there could potentially be up to 500 Toxic players that never get banned and up to 1,250 "good guys" unjustly banned. which overall is not that many people. but now ramp that number up to 2.5 million players and your looking at 5,000 toxic players that wont get banned and 12,500 "good guys" banned.
Maybe I'm just too much a perfectionist but I still think that even an <0.5% error is too much. To be clear I am more concerned about the "good guys" getting unjustly banned rather than toxic players not getting banned. Simply because how reporting works the toxic player coiuld evade banning ounce or twice but unless he does an about face, he will get reported again and will get banned eventually. But an error against a "good guy" say if it was perma ban, you just lost a person who could have been a key role in debugging, or have an amazing idea to help. I would go as far as saying there should be 0% error when it comes to good guys.

Anyways that's my 2 cents.

Phallicies

02-09-2013

Quote:
Akr:
Looking forward to this. I've been trying to get into the PBE for months now but somehow I always just miss signups. It is annoying quite frankly.

Just a thought though, having the system "autoban" players could prove effective short-term, it doesn't seem to be viable long term. I know this may be just as one would say casualties of war even having just a 0.5% margin of error in the system multiplied by the millions of people who play. Can end badly. here are some random numbers to illustrate my point:

Say Right now there is 250,000 PBE players, out of which 100,000 are toxic (based on Lyte's earlier post saying: "there's a higher number of toxic players on PBE currently compared to other servers&quot. with a 0.5% error that means that there could potentially be up to 500 Toxic players that never get banned and up to 1,250 "good guys" unjustly banned. which overall is not that many people. but now ramp that number up to 2.5 million players and your looking at 5,000 toxic players that wont get banned and 12,500 "good guys" banned.
Maybe I'm just too much a perfectionist but I still think that even an <0.5% error is too much. To be clear I am more concerned about the "good guys" getting unjustly banned rather than toxic players not getting banned. Simply because how reporting works the toxic player coiuld evade banning ounce or twice but unless he does an about face, he will get reported again and will get banned eventually. But an error against a "good guy" say if it was perma ban, you just lost a person who could have been a key role in debugging, or have an amazing idea to help. I would go as far as saying there should be 0% error when it comes to good guys.

Anyways that's my 2 cents.

I agree with you, but as he said, this is just one form of trying to deal with people, there is also still tribunal. this is designed to ban the most toxic of them as quickly as possible.

Brinekill

02-09-2013

I understand that leaverbuster has already been put in place to counter the people who frequently abandon games causing uneven team balances, but I believe there could be a better system in place. For instance, if a player leaves matches frequently, say 3 games in 1 week, then the next time they leave a match they will be IP banned for the rest of the day with gradually scaling punishments up to permanent. Alternatively, it could be so that if they leave a match before it ends without reconnecting (in case of technical or other errors) then they will be IP banned for a set amount of hours ~5-6, simply so that if they can afford to leave that game they obviously do not have time to play any more for a few hours anyways or they would not have left the other game. While this seems minor, it may deter many people who would otherwise consider leaving a match with the only punishment being they can't start a new game on the same account until the match ends without them, while they are free to use another account until then.

Kraddark13

02-10-2013

When is this going to be implimented!??? I'm still playing games against people who sit there and spam!! Or who quit cause they didn't get first blood, or who sit there and cuss at you cause they died! I keep telling them "hey there's a zero tolerance on pbe now you can't do that." but they just laugh and go "ya sure it's just pbe." I'm really getting sick of this! When will this be implimented????

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-11-2013

Quote:
Kraddark13:
When is this going to be implimented!??? I'm still playing games against people who sit there and spam!! Or who quit cause they didn't get first blood, or who sit there and cuss at you cause they died! I keep telling them "hey there's a zero tolerance on pbe now you can't do that." but they just laugh and go "ya sure it's just pbe." I'm really getting sick of this! When will this be implimented????

It is going to take awhile to change the culture of the PBE. We've banned ~400 players in the past week, and are slowly increasing the aggressiveness of automated bans on the PBE.

meadow

02-11-2013

Maybe its because its "PBE" that they think they're safe from the Tribunal Lyte.

How about making it clear that on PBE the Summoners Code also is in effect?

Duke Br0heimer

02-11-2013

Not to come off as rude, but couldn't this whole thing have easily been averted by being a little more selective about who can play on the PBE and who cannot?

MephyRunsAllDay

02-11-2013

I just hope you guys don't ban based only on the numbers of reports. A lot of people in PBE try to play it SERIOUSLY (you must follow the meta and everything else, just like in a ranked game, or you're trolling and should be reported), while I usually try to test things, which is the purpose here. I got reported yesterday just because I went Master Yi bottom lane (and won the game by backdooring) >.>

Oug

02-11-2013

First off, I love the initiative to reduce trolling and negative behavior on the PBE. It has needed it for a very long time. However, that leads me into a:

Serious, yet odd, question for ya' Lyte:

How will the new PBE systems handle negative behavior with relation to roleplay?

As the proud owner of the Katarina summoner name, I have occasionally bashed at someone who is playing a Demacian/Ionian/Yordle champion (or telling a Katarina player that they are an imposter)... simply because the specific champion that they are playing. It is absolutely nothing personal, and is actually aimed at the champion that they play, but... some summoners might take it offensively (this is the biggest downfall of everyone referring to other players by what champion they are playing, not their summoner name). While most other summoners will correctly interpret Katarina playing Katarina as playful fun, do I need to ensure that I offend absolutely nobody by stopping altogether?

That being said, I do NOT think that I should be above anyone else concerning specifically foul language nor attacks to an individual player.

But to me, a summoner named Katarina, who is playing Katarina, should be able to have a generally negative attitude towards specific champions without being a negative player.

For the sake of clarity, here are some examples of acceptable and non-acceptable behavior as I define it:
Reasonably Acceptable
Garen, you are an ignorant lout.
I'm glad you got summoned Teemo, so that I may kill you again and again!
I am going to enjoy watching you die, Irelia.
[ALL] Kill the imposter! .......................................(referring to the Katarina on my team)

Clearly Unacceptable
Garen, F*%& you, you *^$!ing *!)%*^@3
Teemo, I'm going to R%*! your dead rat body again and again!
Irelia, I'm going to make sure you die in every single fight simply because I hate you.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-11-2013

Quote:
Oug:
First off, I love the initiative to reduce trolling and negative behavior on the PBE. It has needed it for a very long time. However, that leads me into a:

Serious, yet odd, question for ya' Lyte:

How will the new PBE systems handle negative behavior with relation to roleplay?

As the proud owner of the Katarina summoner name, I have occasionally bashed at someone who is playing a Demacian/Ionian/Yordle champion (or telling a Katarina player that they are an imposter)... simply because the specific champion that they are playing. It is absolutely nothing personal, and is actually aimed at the champion that they play, but... some summoners might take it offensively (this is the biggest downfall of everyone referring to other players by what champion they are playing, not their summoner name). While most other summoners will correctly interpret Katarina playing Katarina as playful fun, do I need to ensure that I offend absolutely nobody by stopping altogether?

That being said, I do NOT think that I should be above anyone else concerning specifically foul language nor attacks to an individual player.

But to me, a summoner named Katarina, who is playing Katarina, should be able to have a generally negative attitude towards specific champions without being a negative player.

For the sake of clarity, here are some examples of acceptable and non-acceptable behavior as I define it:
Reasonably Acceptable
Garen, you are an ignorant lout.
I'm glad you got summoned Teemo, so that I may kill you again and again!
I am going to enjoy watching you die, Irelia.
[ALL] Kill the imposter! .......................................(referring to the Katarina on my team)

Clearly Unacceptable
Garen, F*%& you, you *^$!ing *!)%*^@3
Teemo, I'm going to R%*! your dead rat body again and again!
Irelia, I'm going to make sure you die in every single fight simply because I hate you.

Roleplay in this fashion is generally fine; however, we unfortunately have to enforce the same rules with champion names as we do on live.

This means that in the near future, no one can own a champion name on PBE because a lot of players mistake them as authority figures. In addition, only Rioters can have names with "Riot" in them. This saves us a lot of headaches in the long run with potential player support issues and these players getting random requests.