Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

State of Player Behavior on the PBE - Present and Future

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lexinus

02-02-2013

Yeah I have noticed that people will AFK from games on the NA/EU server, then just go on their PBE account to play and then even AFK from there.

tylergreen1998

02-02-2013

me and my friend have wanted to play pbe. we need an accout how or when can he get one.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-02-2013

Quote:
Kyetahnicus:
"As an example, we have implemented a system on PBE that will automatically detect toxic behaviors and ban the players the same day."-Lyte
Does this mean that people will be able to report you for no reason, and you could get banned from it, because there is a lot of trolls that would do this on the PBE :\

For a long time now, we have been working on ways to assess the validity of every single report. If players 'tend to troll report' for no reason, their reports actually become meaningless and all of our systems ignore the report.

Players that report legitimately and help remove toxic players from the game will find that their report values increase, meaning our systems will respect reports from these players more than the typical report.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-02-2013

Quote:
ResistImpulse:
Is it possible to reduce the team size from 5v5 to 4v4 when you have an early sign of an AFK or leave game issue. Have a voluntary option that shows the system that you will allow yourself to get booted within the first 2 minutes if the need arises because of a 4 man team on the other side?

We've considered this option in the past, but there's some interesting questions.

1) Do we give the player who voluntary drops out a bonus? If so, what is the bonus?
2) Is there a bonus to the remaining members of the team of 5, or why would they use this option instead of just winning the game with their 1-man advantage?
3) Is there potential for bullying where a team tends to pick on the support player and tries to vote them off the island?
4) Is working on a solution like this more valuable than working on a solution that simply reduces the number of games that end up 4v5?

AbyssionKnight

02-02-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
We've considered this option in the past, but there's some interesting questions.

1) Do we give the player who voluntary drops out a bonus? If so, what is the bonus?
2) Is there a bonus to the remaining members of the team of 5, or why would they use this option instead of just winning the game with their 1-man advantage?
3) Is there potential for bullying where a team tends to pick on the support player and tries to vote them off the island?
4) Is working on a solution like this more valuable than working on a solution that simply reduces the number of games that end up 4v5?

5) What if the person on the opposing team rejoins/ finally connects? Will your teammate that volunteers to leave be able to reconnect (aka they can't play another game until the one in play ends, which isn't very fun / rewarding for them ) or will you just simply be left in an unfair situation?

Arixa

Recruiter

02-02-2013

Quote:
Lyte:

The problem is at least in my anecdotal world that most 4v5's are tech related not malice related.

Pvt Ryan

02-02-2013

Quote:
Lyte:

1.Perhaps a somewhat intangible reward (like honor) that is visible to other players to signify the sacrificial nature of that player would be a good idea. In addition, maybe the player would get temporary prioritization should they choose to play another match, getting into matches faster than average
2.Keeping the extra player could be made to be a double-edged sword. Sure it would give the team an advantage, but perhaps it would also result in a reduction of IP earnings afterwards.
3.Riot has always seemed to do well with addressing toxic behavior. Just because trolls exist doesn't mean features shouldn't be added, but I do see the point and thus say that other methods of reducing misbehavior would just have to be improved to compensate.
4.Any system in which 4v5s are simply eliminated from existence would likely have unneccesarily long amounts of wasted time (heading back to matchmaking queue after detecting a leaver has been suggested before but would be asinine in that if enough players keep leaving, the good players are discouraged by being stuck in an endless loop of loading, champ select, and backtracking). Sure efforts can be made to reduce the tendency for 4v5s to occur but a backup to rectify unavoidable situations is always a good idea.
What do you Reds think about those ideas?

RyuuMasken

02-03-2013

Quote:
Lyte:

My initial thought is to give the drop out a potential bonus on LP for their next match. Their MMR will remain unaffected and they still have to pass a promotion series to rank up, of course. If they win, they could get 1.5x LP for it or something. If they lose, they lose the normal amount.

In Unranked game modes, you could perhaps offer a small infusion of IP. Another thing that could be added onto a reward is priority matchmaking, though that seems like it has potential to be a bit more problematic.

Quote:

The reasoning behind my suggestion is that the LP bonus is a gamble but still an attractive one--they have incentive to leave but not enough to just give up the LP they could get from this game. The IP infusion should be less than what they'd earn for just playing a full game, but getting a free bonus influx of IP and potentially getting into another game faster may be attractive enough to make the choice a meaningful one.

For the remaining for players, they could also receive a small LP/IP bonus for deciding to give up their advantage.

Quote:

I think if a system like this was implemented with a suitable reward for the voluntary leaver, it would remove a lot of reasons to bully someone off of the team. The reward should be higher than what the team gets, but not so high that everyone wants to scramble to leave first. A proper balance between the two would make it valuable to be the leaver and the teammates who stay, and hopefully stave off many of the potential toxic cases.

I do see some cases where someone will want to leave and the team doesn't want them to cropping up, however. This issue in particular is the one I'm having the most trouble coming up with a solution for, as while it might not occur very often, it might have very negative situations in relation to things such as promotion games.

Quote:

Reducing toxicity should be the foremost issue in terms of 4v5s, however, a properly implemented system like this might actually help reduce the bad feels from having a leaver. If the enemy team has a voluntary drop-out, the game feels much more fair again. If they don't, the enemy team could get some sort of small bonus in compensation, like slightly reduced LP loss or bonus IP. I think there can definitely be a balance between reducing feel-bads and creating bullying situations for bonuses with the right system and rewards.

Though, overall I think I'd have to say that reducing the situations that cause 4v5s as much as possible will probably be the most important task. A system like this could be designed and implemented after proper measures are taken in that regard to help ease the pain of having someone ragequit or have tech issues and drop out. 4v5s are a thing that will always happen, so imo it's really important to one day have a system that helps reduce the bad experience players get out of them.

Komeiji Koishi

02-03-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
For a long time now, we have been working on ways to assess the validity of every single report. If players 'tend to troll report' for no reason, their reports actually become meaningless and all of our systems ignore the report.

Players that report legitimately and help remove toxic players from the game will find that their report values increase, meaning our systems will respect reports from these players more than the typical report.

What if a player misses the report reason like picking "Refusing to communicate with team" while typing out "verbal abuse" in the message box, and that it was demonstrated the accused did engage in verbal abuse? Will the report validity still go down, albeit at a significantly less amount?

800eloPubtrash

02-03-2013

The PBE is full of tryhards that have no interest in testing, and are very ready to report people that don't follow meta and stuff. I hope you guys read the reports carefully.