This noob has a question!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Devone64

01-29-2013

Hey guys, last night I decided to make the switch from Hon to LoL. Now I know they aren't the same game but similar. I just have a few questions. LoL has so many champions, as a beginner I was wonder how important is it to know each character, their roles, abilities etc. (Also besides playing what would be the best way to get familiar with them). Next I was wondering how much of an impact do all the perks that an account gets through playing or currency affects the actual in game experience.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

01-29-2013

You don't start out with all champions available to you, instead you can unlock them as you play by paying an in game currency - earned by playing games. (You can also unlock them with $$$, but that's not important to you starting out.) There are always 10 champions free to play, and this roster changes every week.

Focus on any of these champions you don't know (which will be all of them starting out). You can either just read up on them, or pop into a quick custom game without others to test out their abilities. (Proving Ground and Dominion start you at a higher level, 3, and give you a bit more gold and gold generation, so they're great to fiddle with new champions' abilities.)

If you see someone during the loading screen you don't know, you can either ask someone in game if they do, or look them up while it's loading or you're heading to lane.

katyyyyyyyyyyy

01-29-2013

If you gander some champs on LOL wikipedia, it can ameliorate you with your informality of the champs. Tantamount as guides on mobafire and solo-mid.net. All this can be consummated while not playing.

Tony bell

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
You don't start out with all champions available to you, instead you can unlock them as you play by paying an in game currency - earned by playing games. (You can also unlock them with $$$, but that's not important to you starting out.) There are always 10 champions free to play, and this roster changes every week.

Focus on any of these champions you don't know (which will be all of them starting out). You can either just read up on them, or pop into a quick custom game without others to test out their abilities. (Proving Ground and Dominion start you at a higher level, 3, and give you a bit more gold and gold generation, so they're great to fiddle with new champions' abilities.)

If you see someone during the loading screen you don't know, you can either ask someone in game if they do, or look them up while it's loading or you're heading to lane.
Just to add onto this a little bit, It is very important to know what the opposing champs can do, since it will affect your playing style in upper level play. I personally suggest you test out a few of the different roles to find out what you enjoy, then focus on learning about all of the champs that play that role.

If I have a particularly bad experience against a certain champion, I typically either buy them or test them out during free week to see what makes them tick.

coheedrocks72

01-29-2013

It's gong to take a while to learn all the champs in and outs, everyday I'm playing against ones I've never seen and getting lucky.

diamondjade

01-29-2013

Try the champions in the free week rotation and read some guides about their roles and such. It helped me alot

Cloaked Figure

01-29-2013

I highly recommend http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...f_Legends_Wiki.

VDarksteel

01-29-2013

I found it easy to learn what characters are capable of by watching matches with the in-game match viewer in addition to the wiki. Helped me get a handle on who can do what.

Kaalika

01-29-2013

Pick two roles, read up on common champions for those roles, their counters, and whoever is considered OP (they'll be picked a lot). After that, systematically read through every champion's abilities on the wiki, make a note of their cc, whether they build ad or ap, etc. Just that small amount of knowledge will help you if you fight against them.

Then learn common team comp strategies.

To start off you don't have to learn everything, just an overview of everything, and concentrate on your last hits and builds for the champions you use.

As for the perks - masteries are awesome, and runes do make a big difference unless your skill exceeds the enemy laner by a lot. I bought too many champions while leveling and didn't quite have enough for three runesets. If I did it again I'd buy champions to level 16 then nothing but save for runes.

Kanon Azai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

As a slightly vet player, I know every champ and every ability they have.. but as a beginner I suggest learning each free week champs abilties/play style, even if you dont play that champ yourself. Eventually, you'll know what a good portion of champions can do. And at low levels, people massively misuse champions sometimes. For example, I've seen so many people try to hawkshot someone for damage. Just make sure you read your skills. Hawkshot (on Ashe) Just grants vision of whatever you hit it with. It deals no damage, but also gives a passive of more gold on every last hit. My point with that is that copying what other people on your skill level do isn't always the best idea.Try and watch some pro games or high elo streams and pick up on what they do. Hope this helps, and welcome to the League!