About Xerath

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cladun

01-29-2013

First I want to say that I mostly play normals. I hope it doesn't bother you to listen to someone's opinion about a champion from someone like that.

Xerath. He's an extremely underplayed champion, and I bet some of you haven't seen him in your last 30 more more games. Xerath is underplayed for a couple of reasons.

1. No Escape
  2. No Mobility
  3. Feels Lackluster After Ult
  4. Not The Best Farmer
  5. Feels Really Clunky
  6. Passive Goes Against His Playstyle

But what I really want changed is how Xerath isn't the best farmer and how he feels really clunky.

Xerath can almost never kill caster minions with a single Q. For most of the game one Q leaves caster minions low enough to be finished with a single minion autoattack. This isn't good because as you try to last hit one of the caster minions, your minions finish them off. Of course you could get extremely fed and start killing caster minions with a Q, but you would never kill a melee minion with a Q. Increase the scaling a bit or increase the base damage just a bit.

Xerath at the moment feels extremely clunky. It's because of his Q's cast time and his W. It would be great if Riot could lower the cast time of Q. Though W is up in the air.

Xerath has more problems then this but these are small buffs that would do a lot for him. C'mon I don't want him to stay in the top 3 most unused champions forever.

Taikero

01-29-2013

Xerath is hindered by his W and his ultimate. Without good positioning and both of those available, Xerath is pretty darn lame.

Essentially, if you don't build 40% CDR on Xerath, you're going to feel pain.

As well, the crappy farming doesn't help either.

Based on all this, you're pretty much always better off playing Malzahar instead of Xerath.

Baeritto

01-29-2013

Xerath is an awesome APC for mid, imo. But look at all the other APCs in s3; none of them are really shining. I guess a few oldies(goodies) like TF, Ahri and Akali can still muster a sparkle or two if they try.
Xerath has an awesome ultimate and with good positioning and skillshot laning, he can drop pissloads of damage from the sky. That's about all he has going for him though :/

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

I main Xerath in mid (and Yi in the jungle), and he is amazing.

Its true that he can't wave clear until about after he gets a Deathcap, but using two Arcanopulses or just using some auto-attacks isn't much of a hinderance.

I actually like the suspense and timing involved in aiming his Q, and it is already about as easy to hit with as it could be without getting a nerf.

Xerath can feel a tad clunky before Locus of Power is level 5, but he is fine when he gets there with constant repositioning and artillery pokes.

Malzahar and Xerath is a total case of apples and oranges: Xerath is an artillery AOE mage, while Malzahar exists to pin and burst down a crucial player.

Xerath can position far safer than Malzahar and still win team-fights.

I like building CDR being a thing on him- needing CDR and AP is the only thing that keeps mages from building durability/AP: and I love being a glass cannon artillery piece.

Honestly, I think most people didn't bother to learn Xerath, and that he is one good skin from fotm.

How much you like Xerath depends on how much you enjoy throwing out AOE pokes from far away for safe sustained damage.

If all you care about is a burst combo, he is decent, but you might be better served elsewhere.

EDIT: One more thing- Xerath is a late game champion. He can still win early and can still crush certain mids earlier on, but he becomes an absolute monster in the late game.

Cladun

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikero View Post
Xerath is hindered by his W and his ultimate. Without good positioning and both of those available, Xerath is pretty darn lame.

Essentially, if you don't build 40% CDR on Xerath, you're going to feel pain.

As well, the crappy farming doesn't help either.

Based on all this, you're pretty much always better off playing Malzahar instead of Xerath.
Yeah, but I want to focus on little buffs for Xerath first. Sure I would like his ult to have an ammo system, but the buffs I proposed are small enough that it wouldn't take much of Riot's time. Riot has stated that they put more work into things that the community wants and since Xerath isn't popular at the moment he won't get much attention.

Yma Sumac

01-29-2013

I play Xerath a lot in ranked

what he needs is 4 second CD Q and 0.7 AP ratio or 250 base damage if possible

Cladun

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
Its true that he can't wave clear until about after he gets a Deathcap, but using two Arcanopulses or just using some auto-attacks isn't much of a hinderance.

Xerath can feel a tad clunky before Locus of Power is level 5, but he is fine when he gets there with constant repositioning and artillery pokes.
When I talk about his clunky-ness, I am talking about how he has to stand and cast for nearly an entire second for his Q. His W was included because of it's very nature. And I have to say, you probably missed a lot of CS because your Q brought the minions too low and while you were still AA one minion, yours took the others. And how long were you able to kill caster minions with one Q after Deathcap? Not very long.

Swampmajikk

01-29-2013

I'd like to see some buffs/qol changes for xerath. I like many others dropped him once season 3 hit :/

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cladun View Post
When I talk about his clunky-ness, I am talking about how he has to stand and cast for nearly an entire second for his Q. His W was included because of it's very nature. And I have to say, you probably missed a lot of CS because your Q brought the minions too low and while you were still AA one minion, yours took the others. And how long were you able to kill caster minions with one Q after Deathcap? Not very long.
I really like the channel with its suspense and timing, personally: and the speed buff from canceling Locus of Power keeps me from feeling immobile in my poking. Its a difference of taste, I guess.

I tend to weaken minions so that a Q will finish them off, unless none of my minions are hitting the ranged minions.

Actually, I kill caster minions all game long once I start because I never stop investing in damage once I get CDR out of the way. Who needs durability when you have the safest positioning in the game?

Cladun

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
I really like the channel, personally: and the speed buff from canceling Locus of Power keeps me from feeling immobile in my poking.

I tend to weaken minions so that a Q will finish them off, unless none of my minions are hitting the ranged minions.

Actually, I kill caster minions all game long once I start because I never stop investing in damage. Who needs durability when you have the safest positioning in the game?
You like the channel? Why? Do you feel that its short enough? Well people do have different opinions, and I accept that.

Sure that's fine, in fact might as well do regular last-hitting. But I what I mean what if you want to shove the lane, because the enemy mid left and you want to shove the lane before going back or you are ahead and want to gank, your Q will make you miss CS plus not pushing very fast.

For most games, the mid game is when you kill caster minions with a Q. Not mid nor late, in fact especially not late because minions out scale.