I am sincerely disappointed in the Tribunal system

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SFtheWolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

League of Legends has to have one of the most toxic, bigoted, not to mention stupid player bases of any online game right now, which is really saying something.

It's what drove me away from the game in the first place. Coming back to it recently, I'm finding it no different. I believe that an egregious lack of player accountability is to blame for this.

The Tribunal is a great idea, but the execution has already made me lose all faith in its efficacy. You simply cannot rely on a democratic system where the same terrible community ruining the game is allowed to have a voice. You can include as many press-release blurbs as you want about players being very thoughtful in their judgements, but that means nothing without the results to back it up.

Perfect example; I've had 6 cases reviewed so far. Every single one has resulted in a pardon. 50% of these were ones I voted to punish on. I read every case thoroughly and put a lot of thought into the context of what was said. I simply cannot believe the system would call my judgements equally as effective as a coin toss.

Look at the most recent pardon: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/case/6167346/

The very first tab shows a player being the epitome of toxic. They're negative, rude, and a poor sportsman. They repeatedly insult everyone as "newbies", "kidz", or "fking gayz".

According to this judgement, Riot condones this bigotry and general attitude. This person will be allowed to continue playing and acting exactly as they are. The game considers him and I to be of equal value. The "Strong Majority" of the community agrees that this is acceptable.

Here's another one I was "wrong" about: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/case/6163946/

Game 2: Nothing but bragging, insults, and 3 separate anti-gay slurs. Community agreement to punish was "Almost No One".

Here's another pardon: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/case/6164964/

In anger, he tells his teammates to suck his dick. He was also reported for having a username which IIRC was something like "pooponmyface". That has since been removed to protect his identity.

You have the inmates running the asylum Riot. It's no wonder that matches with positive, fun socialization seem to be in the minority. I think my quitting again is an inevitability at this rate.

Keonyn

01-29-2013

It's easy to say "this game is the most toxic" but I find that holds little water, especially when you're saying it when ticked off about something (justified or not). I put some time in Dota2 and frankly that game makes LoL's playerbase look downright saintly. Even at this stage Valve does little to nothing to get rid of toxic players, and I can only imagine how much worse it'll get when it gets opened to all.

It's just the reality of the internet. Some people suck, and the internet allows them to be pricks with little fear of reprisal, so they can be as loud and moronic as they choose to be. Sadly it's just something you learn to deal with and I honestly can hardly think of an online game that I haven't dealt with this type. The idea that LoL is somehow far worse than others seems laughable to me. It's certainly got its share of toxic players, but I've played D3, HoN, WoW and Dota2 just to name a few, and I would say all of those were as bad or worse. Unfortunately being an "e-sports" class game and highly competitive just brings the **** to another level.

People have noted that the pardons as of late have been excessive, and hopefully we see some results in that regard. 5 of my last 6 were pardons (3 of which I did agree with though), but before that on all 3 pages I have so far I have only 4 other pardons total.

SFtheWolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keonyn View Post
It's easy to say "this game is the most toxic" but I find that holds little water, especially when you're saying it when ticked off about something (justified or not). I put some time in Dota2 and frankly that game makes LoL's playerbase look downright saintly. Even at this stage Valve does little to nothing to get rid of toxic players, and I can only imagine how much worse it'll get when it gets opened to all.
Well I've held this opinion for a long time, it's not said in emotion. I play some other games with really horrendous communities too (Counter-Strike, 2d fighting games, competitive Sonic speedrunning) and none of them is quite as consistently bad as League's.

Quote:
It's just the reality of the internet. Some people suck, and the internet allows them to be pricks with little fear of reprisal, so they can be as loud and moronic as they choose to be. Sadly it's just something you learn to deal with and I honestly can hardly think of an online game that I haven't dealt with this type.
Right but this game isn't run by the abstract Internet, it's run by a private organization making gestures toward improving the playerbase. I'm being critical of how badly that gesture is made.

Quote:
The idea that LoL is somehow far worse than others seems laughable to me. It's certainly got its share of toxic players, but I've played D3, HoN, WoW and Dota2 just to name a few, and I would say all of those were as bad or worse.
I wouldn't disagree that those games may have communities even worse than League's but that's a pretty bad lot you picked. I'm only speaking from my own experiences and I play a much broader selection of genres and IPs than most people.

Moreover I could say that 4chan has more immature bigots than these forums and I'd be right, but that wouldn't be an argument to not try and moderate these forums as effectively as possible.

If I run around calling everyone a *** I should be banned regardless of whether I can point to someone else who does it 10% more often.

Geekweezul

01-29-2013

While those pardon's do seem wrong...I'd rather see those than unjust punishments. At least those people will likely end up in the tribunal again very soon.

Stywing

01-29-2013

I think all the cases were pardoned for a reason. People like you are what make this community horrible, and corrupt. Voting punish on the littlest things is abusing the tribunal. Stop trying act like a 'Judgement Vigilante' because as the system displays, your decisions are wrong. Go home bro.

SFtheWolf

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stywing View Post
I think all the cases were pardoned for a reason. People like you are what make this community horrible, and corrupt. Voting punish on the littlest things is abusing the tribunal. Stop trying act like a 'Judgement Vigilante' because as the system displays, your decisions are wrong. Go home bro.
I rather think that you, sir, are what makes etc. etc.

And I advise you to google the definitions of "corrupt", "vigilante", and "appeal to popularity fallacy".

Also if constantly screaming insults, obscenities, and bigoted slurs at people constitutes "the littlest things" I don't think I want to be matchmade with you.

I won't argue against you speaking for this community though...

GreekLight

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stywing View Post
what?

if a player violates the summoners code, you punish. thats how it works. no vigilante-ism, no personal feelings, its pretty cut and dry. if you stray from those simple guidelines, then its you who is abusing the tribunal by asserting your own personal feelings into the case reviews.

if you dont agree with that, then its people like you that make this community horrible.