Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Smartcast - How to Disable

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TrueSkillz

Recruiter

01-29-2013

smart cast = uses ability in the direction or position of the mouse cursor. so for direction where ever you mouse is compared to your character. pretty straight forward.
just hover the ability and it will show you the range.

In reality just go into a custom game and mess with that champ. if you cant get use to the way they play then pick a diff champ. This is not a game mechanic issue this is a users unwillingness to adapt to the way that character plays. Just because something is different does not mean they need to change it to make it more familiar.

Cloaked Figure

Recruiter

01-29-2013

@Skillz: If I'm hovering my mouse over the ability to see the range, and the ability goes toward the cursor, wouldn't that mean that the ability would go towards that spot rather than where I want it? Seems like kind of a paradox: you can aim, OR you can have the info you need to aim properly.

Shouldn't there be a way to get both, like you can with non-smartcast abilities?

TrueSkillz

Recruiter

01-29-2013

really? have you never used flash? It is the most used summoner skill and people dont make this much of a fuss about it. if you hover the ability and see the range. guess what you now know how far it will go. So you can even use other objects in the game to measure distance if nothing else is working for you. I really dont know how to explain this better. just go into a game and get use to using it. a forum post is not going to get riot to change a character or ability that millions of other people dont have a problem with.

sorry if im being harsh but you seem that you need to be babied through this and blaming the gmae because you are not able to do what you want. If other people are able to do it just fine then its not the game and its not a flaw. its the player.

There are plenty of champs that i am sub par with but im not going to ask for a rework of that champ because i cant play them.

Cloaked Figure

Recruiter

01-29-2013

Flash is auto-smartcast now? I had no idea. I haven't used it in over a year. That sucks. Good thing I've learned to not get into situations where I would need it.

And I'm not asking Riot to make Ahri's ultimate non-smartcast. I'm asking them to let each player choose for himself whether he wants to be shackled to this horrible UI 'feature'.

Let me ask again, as it wasn't answered: Is there a way to, at the same time, aim the skill AND see the range indicator?

OhBoyItsaMegaman

01-29-2013

Quote:
Cloaked Figure:
@Skillz: If I'm hovering my mouse over the ability to see the range, and the ability goes toward the cursor, wouldn't that mean that the ability would go towards that spot rather than where I want it? Seems like kind of a paradox: you can aim, OR you can have the info you need to aim properly.

Shouldn't there be a way to get both, like you can with non-smartcast abilities?

There is. If you enable Smartcast Range Indicators (I think that's what the checkbox in the settings is named), pressing the ability's key will show the range and releasing the key will cast it. But I'm fairly sure that it doesn't apply to abilities that are already smartcast by default such as Flash and Lay Waste.

Armored Revenger

01-29-2013

Quick question. Do you know how smartcast works? It doesn't seem like you do from the way it irks you.

When you hover a skill it will show you the range. How smartcasting works is that when you press the shortcut it will "fire" the spell towards where your mouse is. It is very useful especially on skill shot heavy champs.

For example if I'm playing Lux my combo without smartcasting would be E, Click, Q, Click, R, Click, E, Auto Attack.

With smartcasting I would only need to hover my mouse over the opposing champion (keep positioning and minions in the way in mind of course) and my combo would be shortened to the much simpler E, Q, R, E, Auto Attack.

All smartcasting does is fire off your chosen skill in the direction your mouse is hovering over or if it's a targeted skill it will use the skill on the unit your mouse is hovering over.

Learning to smartcast is very important and will make playing certain champions much easier while removing the alienating feel of being "forced" to smartcast skills such as Riven's Q (Broken Wings).

Personally I smartcast everything and selfcasting (alt + skill key) is also important as it removes the need to finding yourself in the gigantic cluster**** called team fights.

Hopefully this was helpful and good luck.

Cloaked Figure

Recruiter

01-29-2013

Quote:
OhBoyItsaMegaman:
There is. If you enable Smartcast Range Indicators (I think that's what the checkbox in the settings is named), pressing the ability's key will show the range and releasing the key will cast it. But I'm fairly sure that it doesn't apply to abilities that are already smartcast by default such as Flash and Lay Waste.

Well drat, those are the only ones I need it for, all other ones I can just... not smartcast, problem automatically solved.

Quote:
Armored Revenger:
Quick question. Do you know how smartcast works? It doesn't seem like you do from the way it irks you.

When you hover a skill it will show you the range. How smartcasting works is that when you press the shortcut it will "fire" the spell towards where your mouse is. It is very useful especially on skill shot heavy champs.

For example if I'm playing Lux my combo without smartcasting would be E, Click, Q, Click, R, Click, E, Auto Attack.

With smartcasting I would only need to hover my mouse over the opposing champion (keep positioning and minions in the way in mind of course) and my combo would be shortened to the much simpler E, Q, R, E, Auto Attack.

All smartcasting does is fire off your chosen skill in the direction your mouse is hovering over or if it's a targeted skill it will use the skill on the unit your mouse is hovering over.

Learning to smartcast is very important and will make playing certain champions much easier while removing the alienating feel of being "forced" to smartcast skills such as Riven's Q (Broken Wings).

Personally I smartcast everything and selfcasting (alt + skill key) is also important as it removes the need to finding yourself in the gigantic cluster**** called team fights.

Hopefully this was helpful and good luck.

You must be amazing if you can hit with Lux's abilities despite smartcast. As I stated previously, I specialize in skillshot-heavy Morgana and Blitzcrank-- where missing your Q means losing the fight. I've found the default method of casting to be VERY easy to hit with. Smartcast... not so much.

I actually know about Alt to self-target. I use it a little as Morgana, but usually I'm shielding the AD carry or the bruiser, or whichever of my teammates seems most wounded.

You said you can get the range indicator by hovering the cursor over the skill's icon, but what if I want to cast in a different direction? Is there a way to get the range indicator to show up while I aim the shot?

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

01-29-2013

Quote:
Cloaked Figure:
Well drat, those are the only ones I need it for, all other ones I can just... not smartcast, problem automatically solved.

Also, you must be amazing if you can hit with Lux's abilities despite smartcast.

Smarmy sarcasm isn't very becoming...

Nor is an unwillingness to even consider that you might be wrong. I can see one might come from to come to an opinion similar to yours, however your attitude seems to shout 'I can't, therefore it's wrong,' or 'I don't feel like changing, therefore it's dumb.' When you come at an argument with a level head instead of shouting and whining, people are much more likely to spend more time helping you and understanding your point of view.

Cloaked Figure

Recruiter

01-29-2013

Please don't misinterpret me like that. There was no sarcasm in my post. I meant what I said. Anyone who can become good at skillshot champions like Lux while at the same time overcoming a system seemingly designed to punish the user, has my honest respect.

Including you, if you yourself have become good at such.

I admit that I can't as of yet, as obviously there are things about the subject I do not know. I have asked a question that has, as of yet, not been answered as far as I am aware. The question was, "How can I see a range indicator on auto smartcast skills while lining up those same abilities?"

While I'm at it, I might as well ask a few more.

"Are there any benefits to smartcasting?"

"Is it possible to keybind a smartcast ability to a mouse button?"

TrueSkillz

Recruiter

01-29-2013

well you are now calling smart casting auto skillshots? if that is the case you cant. also flash has always been smartcasted.

and your comment of saying smartcast is to punish the user. how so. the way riot implemented those abilities is fine. Ahri is a champ that is hard to catch. if you had to stop moving to use her ult that would be stupid. there is nothing wrong with the system.

instead of wasting your time on the forums and having us tell you the same thing over and over. go play ahri in a custom game with bots and take flash and figure out how smart cast works.