Smartcast - How to Disable

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cloaked Figure

Recruiter

01-29-2013

Okay, I'm not exactly new. I've been playing League for a few years, and have won more than I've lost. But all this time, I've played almost exclusively Annie (admittedly not so much anymore as she doesn't have a place in the current meta), Morgana, and Blitzcrank.

I want to diversify. And on that subject, I have a newbie question.

I tried playing Ahri. She's hot and a lot of fun, but I had difficulty controlling the dash element of her ult-- she seemed to dash in a random, uncontrollable direction each time I hit R, making it useless as a chase or escape, and unreliable as a juke.

I've been told by a friend that this is due to something paradoxically called "smartcast" which is on automatically for her ult.

How do I turn it off? I want to play Ahri, but being unable to aim her ult... well it's not fun.

Dakahn99

01-29-2013

It goes towards your mouse, just like flash

Cloaked Figure

Recruiter

01-29-2013

How do I disable it?

TrueSkillz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

you cant turn it off. its like urgots q, nidalees leap thing, karthus q. just have to get use to it

Fs Son0fSilas

01-29-2013

You disable smart casting the same way you enabled it, by changing it in keeybindings

As was already stated though, it automatically jumps to where your cursor is

Cloaked Figure

Recruiter

01-29-2013

So basically I just can't play Ahri, Karthus, etc due to a mechanic that is un-removable and makes the champions unusable? Thanks a lot Riot.

Also Fs, I would never enable smartcast. I'm not that masochistic.

Dakahn99

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked Figure View Post
So basically I just can't play Ahri, Karthus, etc due to a mechanic that is un-removable and makes the champions unusable? Thanks a lot Riot.

If you are unwilling to learn a new game mechanic then you wont be able to use them, however if you learn those abilities well, then it is a very dangerous thing and gives you more control than having to target somebody, especially since karthus q takes one second to go off

It's all a matter of play style and they shouldn't be changed imo

Cloaked Figure

Recruiter

01-29-2013

Matters of play style shouldn't be hard-coded in the game, they should be, well, matters of play style.

Maybe I'm approaching this from the wrong angle. As I said before, I main Blitzcrank and Morgana, two champs for whom pixel-perfect aim and ideal shots are worth waiting a half-second to line up.

Is there at least, at bare minimum, a way to turn on range indicators for smartcast abilities so I don't have to just guess how far and in what direction I will be firing off these abilities?

Armored Revenger

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked Figure View Post

Also Fs, I would never enable smartcast. I'm not that masochistic.
If these champs are so "unusable" why do they see tournament play.

No offense but calling champs useless because you as a person is unwilling to learn how to use them makes you seem like your just attention seeking.

Edit: Wouldn't scrolling over to the ability with your mouse show the range like any other skill? I'm talking in-game obviously. It does that for Flash and Flash is always smartcasted.

Cloaked Figure

Recruiter

01-29-2013

You are correct, Armored Revenger. I worded that poorly. I should have said "unusable to me". My apologies to Ahri players, Karthus players, and everyone else who has managed to work around this very unfortunate UI quirk.