Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phil Nye

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashGizmo View Post
yep, that's my YT channel.

Project M is a cool community endeavor that I just can't get into =\. Any time I play it, I find myself going, "hey this is close to Melee! ... oh wait, why don't I just play Melee?" . I think it's cool that people are doing it and that some folks enjoy it, but my feeling is still just that if I wanted to play Melee, I'd just play Melee rather than playing an attempt at hacking Brawl into Melee that still needs a lot of polish.
I can see where you're coming from, that was a big mindset a lot of people had especially earlier on about it especially initially, but especially in the PNW region where I am from (and from what I understand, it's getting pretty big in the MD/VA/East US region), it's pretty hot now. I think what they've done to make it fresh was toy around with unique character "archetypes" that would be fun to use in such a game (for example, Lucario with the new "on-hit cancel" combo system that makes him more familiar to traditional fighting game characters, or Ivysaur with a "charge" system on her bulb attacks, as well as giving her more familiar intuitive powers from the Pokemon games like Leech Seed).

But hey, Melee all Daylee, right?

Biracialmage

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashGizmo View Post
I definitely went to a tournament or two there, but that was years ago .
Of course it was. We had to close about 2 years back.

Annekelol

02-12-2013

Guild Wars GvG died a slow and agonizing death, and I feel that the promise to revive it and improve it in GW2 fell extremely short..

By the way, Morello, I remember pugging with you a few times (#gwp).

Asmonok

02-12-2013

The game for me that I love and am sad about is Day of Defeat: Source.

They took a near flawless game(mechanically speaking) destroyed hit box placement and weapon statistics in there last patch. An easy fix for another patch. Except that after the last patch they immediately announced they were no longer going to support the game. 8 years later I still play it almost every day. However it requires changing your configuration files from server to server in order to bypass the hit box placement problems. Which is easy yet incredibly tedious.

Fuzen kuden

02-12-2013

nerf lee sin hes a ****ING tank with massive amounts of damage and cc

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

On the off-topic of Smash Bros, I am a casual player of the game, and while turning the randomizing factor of items off in tournaments is essential for a high-stakes game, I feel like it isn't really Smash Bros if you do that.

(Look at Riot post 76 as an example of where Smash Bros came up.)

To me the game is about constant damaging/ positioning/ looking for smash openings where items serve as a sort of equalizer across picks and add an "adapt on the fly" element I love.

I love the quick decision making that needs to be made when an item randomly appears and the combat paterns around using items.

I guess I'm trying to say that the competitive scene of Smash Bros doesn't even use some of the game's core features, and shouldn't be an end-all be-all for judging the series.

Mishli

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
On the off-topic of Smash Bros, I am a casual player of the game, and while turning the randomizing factor of items off in tournaments is essential for a high-stakes game, I feel like it isn't really Smash Bros if you do that.

(Look at Riot post 76 as an example of where Smash Bros came up.)

To me the game is about constant damaging/ positioning/ looking for smash openings where items serve as a sort of equalizer across picks and add an "adapt on the fly" element I love.

I love the quick decision making that needs to be made when an item randomly appears and the combat paterns around using items.

I guess I'm trying to say that the competitive scene of Smash Bros doesn't even use some of the game's core features, and shouldn't be an end-all be-all for judging the series.
I understand your opinion and do agree with you to a point, i am a player who often goes to tournaments if i can find them, but i do enjoy casual play too. While there is a special type of skill used when playing with items (i remember sniping people across the stage in sector z on the origional smash with the beam sword or bomb ombs, or the positioning for motion sensor mines) From what i understand, and this is also my personal opinion. The general consensus is that, while they can be fun, if you are looking for a pure skill vs skill match, the random factor of items can easily make or break a game. On certain stages, simply whomever the item spawns nearest to can win that stock, like a lucky bomb omb or maybe even a franklin badge vs certain charaters.

The reason i've always liked brawl (or smash bros in general) is the fact that a single hit doesn't necessarily decide the entire fight. for example, i have a friend who plays soul calibur 4, and if he so much as landed one hit against you, he could drop you from 95% to dead. Though this too is a method of skill, i find it less enjoyable when everything can be decided by a single hit. and that's what i've always loved about smash in general, is the ability to be able to come back after you've taken a huge hit or combo and still bring back the win. Though this is possible in most games, smash feels like it's more balanced in this respect than your traditional fighters like mortal combat or soul calibur.

The best example of this would be the smash ball, you're playing maybe link or ike? You get the smash ball, you have a chance at dealing some good damage and maybe getting a kill with it. Someone like sonic or any of the space animals gets it? that's very eaisly 2-3 stock down the tubes. (seriously all you have to do is fly up with the landmaster and you'll auto ring out your opponent) Considering your standard tournament game only has 3 stock? this could easily and single handedly win the entire match. and, similar to the x factor IMO, infinite combos or guaranteed kills are rarely any fun for someone on the recieving end. Sure smash does have it's share of infinites, but they are few and far between, most of them require a wall to function and the only one i can name offhand that is tournament legal is the iceclimbers chain grab, which, if you are fast enough can be broken out of, and the amount of skill this takes to pull off is staggering, because there is 6 different timings per character PER % of damage.

The Partisan

02-14-2013

Jumping on the Karma piece Morrello, I think her lack of popularity is part of her apparent weakness. Players try her out and are surprised to find she requires some good team coordination and are upset when they don't do well, as they don't see her full potential. There is also no support mechanism for these players, no aray of awesome guides or pro players maining the champ they are learning, as is the case with many other champions.

Does Karma need buffs? In my opinion yes, but not a rework. Look at what a visual rework, the S3 changes, and Wickd playing around with her on top lane will do to her win rate and popularity. Let people play her as an AP bruiser then maybe buff her with some reduced cds.

Yma Sumac

02-17-2013

I told you Riot

I told you that your decisions would reflect poorly on the community

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3136454

look at these people, they think actual strategies and mechanical thinking is "Trolling"

Mishli

02-17-2013

It can be considered 'trolling' though i believe by technical defenition, it's called cheese if it works. It's only trolling if it fails. Lol. On a more serious note, these people are simply being beaten by better tactics, that's what team comps are there for.

What's really mean to see is thresh + skarnor, pull someone into 'the box' then pull them around and break every wall.

People simply like to call this trolling because they feel like the enemy team is going out of their way to single them out for this kind of strategy, and if said person is playing the carry? the team probably is, but that's a good team.

This isn't riot's fault. They are simply going out of their way to bring in new mechanics to raise the level of the game. The players need to adapt to the ever changing and evolving system. Though it does help from time to time when older champs 'evolve' too, lol. Supposed to be a joke, probably sounded better in my head.