Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellioning

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
A bit - but since we are going to release the skin soon (really!) we have high hopes. We do a model where we compare the skin popularity and adjust it for the champ popularity (under this model, Battlecast Urgot is well-received, for example).

This is primarily to teach us "taste trends" in League players.
This Soraka skin needs to be a full 20 dollar theme with how much you're hyping this up

Kato75

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrad View Post
what games have failed me?

s4 league
a korean action 3rd-person shooter, akin to gunz. However, pentavision grew too aggressive with micro-transactions. Instead making premium content more appealing, they made free content worse. They changed starting outfits from cool-but-simple futuristic t-shirts to ugly pajamas, selling the former starting outfits as premium content.

They never did balance changes. never. Once an item was released, it stays like that forever.

[
hackers
hackers everywhere

ChaosBloodterfly

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredmonroe View Post
Melee players did "cry wolf" about how bad Brawl was, and how it ruined smash, but you know what? They were right. There was a wolf that killed the flock.

[
Brawl: 10 million sales.
Melee: 7 million sales.

Totally ruined right there.

Nintendo real sad there. The head designer for SSB has stated that he does not give two ****s about the competitive scene.

Kato75

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

Quote:
This is one of the more interesting ideas I've heard on the subject. Care to elaborate?
I am not a pro-player in any of the smashes,but I do watch it(not as much as league,dont knwo all terms\techiquenes)

What I can say is that Brawl slowed down the pace of the game...also,wave-dashing.
Pace changes are almost,if not,always not well received(except for extreme examples) by the community,hence,S3 pen changes that changed the pace of team fights

In Brawl,Project M appeared to counter this.In lol,LEAGUE OF WARMOGS

ChaosBloodterfly

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrad View Post
S4 League
A Korean action 3rd-person shooter, akin to GunZ. However, Pentavision grew too aggressive with micro-transactions. Instead making premium content more appealing, they made free content worse. They changed starting outfits from cool-but-simple futuristic t-shirts to ugly pajamas, selling the former starting outfits as premium content.

They never did balance changes. Never. Once an item was released, it stays like that forever.
Basically every Korean online game port ever. The most infamous company being Nexon.

Too bad, because a lot of their games are really fun at the core (excluding RPG and FPS clones that everybody and their mother makes)

XVIII The Moon

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato75 View Post
Something that,while doesn't bother me that much,is the Popularity=Skin paradox

If a champions is popular,he gains a skin
If he isnt,he normally does not
But if he doesnt have more skins,will he have more popularity>

Also,even tought I cant see where soraka could fit in the current meta,how much do you think you guys lost in NOT releasing a soraka skin with her VU>
Not all champions that are popular get skins...

Skarner has seen multiple tournaments and as been in a general mid-popular place since the start of season 2. He however has yet to get a skin when other champions like leona and wu kong has.

ChaosBloodterfly

02-08-2013

Quote:
This is one of the more interesting ideas I've heard on the subject. Care to elaborate?
I'm guessing the existence of Metaknight?

Eph289

02-08-2013

Games that failed me:

Everything C&C starting with Red Alert 3. They'd just released C&C 3 and Kane's Wrath, but then plunged into RA3 way too fast. The games were rushed, and it showed. Great graphics, the cheesy plotlines were about what you'd expect, but the engine was a mess and the balance needed serious help. Using GameSpy to host their own servers was a mess, and EA didn't support the games properly. The lack of postlaunch support and the rushed games brought that franchise to its knees.

Then, the death knell was Tiberian Twilight. EALA was (ordered) to release a game that nobody in the C&C community wanted, with drastically different mechanics that the diehard fans hated with a short campaign that was supposed to resolve a decade of sci-fi shenanigans, but ended up being an utter disappointment, and lacked many of the classic C&C features.

EA killed that franchise hard, and it's because upper management rushed their games and crowded the market in the interest of a quick buck (reportedly to make up for the millions blown in the canceled Tiberium FPS).

Bow Of Havoc

02-08-2013

Runescape, it was never broken but the developers decided to fix something that was never broken.

NightFire666

02-08-2013

If you don't want that I highly suggest playing Eve Online. The Devs listen to the players and make sure the players have a fun time no matter what.

The learning curve is a bit harsh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLqb-m1ZZUA

Happened a few weeks back. In there it shows something called Time Dialation. Which slows down time for players present in the solar system so that lag is set to the bare minimum.

Battle was so big server crashed anyway.