Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hitsuyaga

02-07-2013

Diablo3 worst game ever made period. and riot usually fails but they always fix it later

RG Clockwork

02-07-2013

There is this flash game called "RotMG" or Realm of the Mad God, it was perfect; you ran around shooting enemies forever and then you went farther in the forest and fought tougher stuff. Now you go into dungeons that are so complicated its like the new LoL shop, but imagine you cant use a mouse...

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I hear this a lot when people talk of TF2, but I'm skeptical; how would hats have prevented play? Wouldn't there be some associated cause that might have lined up in a similar timeframe?
As a TF2 player, I love the hats an assorted swag to customize my look.

Elder Schnelle

02-07-2013

When are you going to do something about poppy? Even though it's completely against what i think about the little god of late-game, people say she's unviable. Can you enlighten us on this subject?

dogbiter

02-07-2013

kk morello now go buff some champions

but nerf some others too

Morello

Lead Designer

02-07-2013
55 of 91 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otniel View Post
Imo STOP nerfing/buffing champions.
Pretty soon it will end up like the Death Knight situation from WOTLK. Death Knights came out, dominated tanking and pvp. Paladins QQ because they'd get their ***es handed to them on a silver platter in pvp so in return Blizzard nerfed Death Knights. Then Death Knights QQ so Paladins got nerfed and it all went downhill from there.

I think if you (Riot) stop nerfing/ buffing champions based around a handful, if not one champion, then people will actually be forced to play the game the way it's meant to be played, A CHALLENGE.

I think all companies when they make a game want it to be a challenge but at the same time not just "rollface rofl stomp I win"... to me it looks like you are trying to cater to the players who don't want it a challenge and rather a "rollface rofl stomp I win" game.

I'm sure you guys are pulling your hair out trying to please everyone and their brother but the fact is you can't please everyone so just stop nerfing/ buffing and get the new champs right before releasing them via PBE and come play with us
I think you're way off on this; we're not always accurate with balance, but it does need to be done and I won't be having the team back off from this direction anytime in the near-future - sorry.

exe3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Morello with champion remakes like Karma and Heimerdinger why don't you make threads like what was done for Xin and Viktor to discuss with the community what they think the champs problems are?

Morello

Lead Designer

02-07-2013
56 of 91 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exe3 View Post
Morello with champion remakes like Karma and Heimerdinger why don't you make threads like what was done for Xin and Viktor to discuss with the community what they think the champs problems are?
We did with Sejuani - so the newer ones will likely do this. Heimer and Karma already have a direction that we approve of, so I think we might be sending the message of "looking for ideas" when we'll be in a "looking for feedback on results" more soon.

Captain Youl

02-07-2013

question for you morello, do you think with the flow of constent nerfs, the champs are losing whats make them unique/good?

If a part of a champion's kit is too good you nerf it, by doing so you kill a part of the champion, just look at urgot, he had too much range on ult and E+Q, you nerfed it, now he just feels meh, what if you could nerf things people care less about like the slow % on his shield, or best just buff the others champs so they could all be unique enough to be counter to your balance problem, kinda like dota 2 but with less OPness.
Right now you focus on making all abilities balanced instead of having 1-2 great spells and 1-2 average ones that compliment the champion

example: blitzcrank grab is the best part of his kit, but its ok since his passive consumme his mana and his W slows him after the overdrive hes OP and UP at the same time making him unique and balanced

example #2: heimer can zone too easily with his 3 turrets, but its ok since hes squishy and cant rely on his others spells to protect himself.

example #3: malzahar have too much burst with his ult (back when it had 1.6 ap ratio) but it was ok because his ult range puts him at risk + QSS, now you nerfed it and hes subpar to aoe burst mages who can deal around the same ult damage as him but AOE

Dogadewd

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We did with Sejuani - so the newer ones will likely do this. Heimer and Karma already have a direction that we approve of, so I think we might be sending the message of "looking for ideas" when we'll be in a "looking for feedback on results" more soon.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1#post34407591

ARAM match making with a few conditions...

4,931 Replies

Mostly gone unnoticed...until now, when you formally give us a verdict on ARAMs future.

I hate being the direct and pushy guy, but lets face it...for a post that started back in 07-08-12...having only 5 riot employee posts on such a LARGE forum post with relevant topic, I cant help but feel a little angry.

Dogadewd <---with a capital D

P.S. You said be vocal.