Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jixxur

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I think it's a lot of "free power," and I'd only include move-while-cast if the feel of the character were reliant upon it. Additionally, stopping to cast or attack is one of the biggest visual queues that action is occurring in many cases, and gives your brain just a little more time to react.
geez morello, take a break man

Sojs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2013

gunz the duel is the hardest game to play ever made

LilB GodSwag

02-06-2013

The game that did it to me was Halo... Halo2-3 were best games ever made.. I could be so much better than the other team I could always win. Then Reach came out and I quit. GoW2, then they made the sawedoff shotgun.

Tulfrir

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by with momoiroUME View Post
Most big corporation are like this. Runescape is probably another good example. I just play league till it ends up like that and another good MMO/MOBA comes out.
Runescape used to be so good a while back, and no one would flame you for playing it either. Now it sucks

Sh00t3rman

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
And in this example, Force Staff causes its own slew of balance issues. DotA is a poor comparison for this argument because it's unconcerned with powercaps and has lots of hard-counters. That's an OK design direction, but it's not League's. "If everything's OP and there's hard counters, it's balanced" is a way to make a game. We don't think that game feels like you get a lot of type of counter-play we value.
That's a big reason why I don't play DotA much.

ZzRadio

02-06-2013

Jagex LTD failed constantly and I laugh at their failures today.

Chinaskii

02-06-2013

I've only went through a couple pages and didn't see it mentioned but, Star Wars: Galaxies. This little MMO was once a sprawling universe with a very detailed, varied, and fun career structure. The planets were vast and when they added space it was almost like adding an entirely new game. If you didn't want to fight, there were plenty of things for you to do as well. When the game first released lightsabers and Jedi's were a myth (seeing as the game took place during the time of the original trilogy.

Well, eventually the stripped the entire game and how it was played down to it's bones. Instead of learning traits as a scout or a marksman so you could eventually earn a chance to become a Bounty Hunter you were forced to chose simply, Bounty Hunter and given a tree to fill out.

I miss that game

Warface

02-06-2013

Companies that failed me: Blizzard (WoW), EA (Battlefield franchise), Activision (CoD: World at war was best cod, all others suck), Jagex (runescape), Bethesda (so many bugs its unbearable), Nintendo (don't like their business since the Wii came out), Microsoft (Halo's milking)

I hope not having to add Riot games in a near future

Waffletimewarp

02-06-2013

Diablo 3.

I don't even play the game and it disappointed me. I started following it after the *****-fits started showing up between it and Torchlight 2. Looking at every decision made on that game simply dumbfounded me on how disconnected a developer could be with it's community and how downright insulting it could be towards those that disagreed or criticized it (i.e. Wilsons "**** that loser" in response to Brevik's OPINIONS on how the direction and team's experience with the IP affected the result).

It cemented my choice to never buy a Blizzard game. Not the game itself, but the general attitude of all involve that basically said "Look how awesome we are, we did it all by our selves to make the best selling game of all time, never mind it was the work of the first two games that made that happen. Never mind it immediately started hemorrhaging players and refunds to the point of ridiculousness. We're awesome, **** everyone who disagrees!"

Waffletimewarp

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostArcher024 View Post
Halo. Big time. Ever since Bungie handed the reins to 343, it's been rolling downhill
Cliche'd as it was, the story and internal logic in HALO 4 was better than the bag of **** that was ODST and Reach.