Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eloquid

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
What exactly are you afraid of Riot doing?

Deleting some fun bug/ gimmick that might show up in the future?
I'm deeply scared of stupid moves like completely removing old TT map and replacing it with this nonsense map that we have today.

Eloquid

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Usually when a champion topic is ignored, it's mostly because we aren't focused on this problem because we have a lot of other stuff prioritized currently. That's the case with Viktor right now.
I only partly understand this, but... How much focus do you need to remove cast time from Sivir's ulti or just a little bit increase her range to make her relevant again. Or make it obvious when Rammus's W is active, the particles are not visible in teamfight. These are just examples of things that community was asking for ages and it can't be more than 5 minutes work for makers of these champs, but we still get things nobody asked for and most will never like while what we want keeps getting ignored.

Nasus' buffs are good sign, but still some notorious and really needed changes are happening too slow.

Stizunna

02-06-2013

If you didn't raid in bc its cause ubad. The raids then took a lot of coordination and skill. They dumbed down wow in wotk and the game sucked. League is on the same path. This new league system is a joke. They don't want people to see how bad you are so they don't show stats, don't show losses( I know you can just do math but the point is it doesn't show), don't show elo. Soon everyone will be in rainbow league so everyone is the same.

BloodKaqn

02-06-2013

I just want them to bring back dance skating :/

Shosuko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2013

Of all of the games I've played over the last 10 years, Riot is the least of my worries.

They don't always get it right, but the amount of time they do is impressive. When something does go wrong, they admit it and fix it. They also pay a lot of attention to the fan base, without just doing what the fan base wants.

I'm really proud of Riot, and feel every penny I've dropped into this game has been more rewarding than any other. Even now where I'm not playing this game so much (we all go on breaks) I'm still buying a few skins I like b/c I know I'll be back.

Other games that have dropped the ball typically do it b/c they won't reverse a decision. This is the single worst offense a game developer can make. Let's face it, no one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes. Bad companies turtle up and ignore the ragings hoping the players will "see it their way." Riot cops to it. Even if they don't revert, they explain their logic behind it. Their developers always have amazing insights into game development and game balance that I appreciate, even when I disagree.

Gargabane

02-06-2013

K, I had an idea. An accelerometer for players to obtain IP, like a Pokewalker. Getting IP by playing takes forever, this would just be a bonus amount of IP, but you obtain it by walking longer distances.

SubZerØ

02-06-2013

I'd have to say League of Legends is failing me, I find the queue dodging rule is completely unfair and needs to be removed in ranked queue... when I am playing ranked I and I hope a lot of other people play ranked to win, so if there is someone trolling and saying I am going to troll cuz of last game and picks a mid when we already have a mid and pisses everyone off.. someone (like me) would rather dodge, right? except when I dodge I am punished as well, why am I punished both ways, sticking around to lose and leaving to save my self a headache... I was up for promotion and had to win 3 games and I dodged cuz of the same reason and I lost my promotion. That's whats fail about the League of Legends. I hope you guys hear me out and remove penalties from queue dodging, as I personally think its better to dodge than cause your teammates frustration.

EDIT

So I have done some more digging to see what other people think and "Riot Yegg" has a good point to my complaint. but "TheCkieMonster" has a great solution.
you can follow up on this link http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3007733

Kneon

02-06-2013

sadly i already find myself spending some of my league time playing Dota2 now. League has been my #1 game for close to 3 years now, which is a longer run than any other game has before (on the plus side) but Riot always seems to break things more rather than less now a days. Season 3 ranked hasn't won me over, and has me missing Season 2 in both ranking and items. The whole League of Cleavers stupidity and health being the new #1 stat in the game is struggling to hold my interest.

Endertome

02-06-2013

On the subject of developers who do or do not know what their customers are asking for/want/need, I was curious what kinds of motivations Riot has behind skin design.

I mean, lately we've had a huge wave of high tech skins for a lot of champions new and old. There have been posts complaining about this. While I personally think the skins are individually cool, what's the reasoning for releasing similar themes in such a dense cluster? Why not break up the theme with other themes?

To use the high tech/sci fi example, it could be broken up by more magical or natural themed skins.

AORainmaka

02-06-2013

I keep seeing the league system pop up, but I have to say I love the idea of this new system. I will not be playing enough to really fight for Platinum or Diamond. But this is an idea to let me battle people on my level, and not get stomped by pros.