Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arechon Gend

02-05-2013

Wow, some of the Smash Bros discussion on this thread reminds me of why I hate the competitive Smash community, especially melee elitists.

Katarìna

02-05-2013

Quote:
Morello:
From a decision-making standpoint, Vlad is a big offender in not having much. Other than timing and CD management on W, Vlad is painfully free of decision-making outside of basic League of Legends play.

Hence why you should convince the Live Design team to revert Katarina to how she was a year ago. So we can have our choices back. I think it's safe to say that the Kat rework was mostly a failure, not really due to you guys doing poorly, but due to you guys not really having enough information about Kat before deciding what you were going to do.

LouisLeGros

02-05-2013

Quote:
Arechon Gend:
Wow, some of the Smash Bros discussion on this thread reminds me of why I hate the competitive Smash community, especially melee elitists.

And we hate you for ruining the series too

iamriddik

02-05-2013

anyone remember the public/private match glitch in MW2? where you could have 16 people playing FFA on a map with only 10 spawn points.

those were chaotic and fun as hell, but quickly got patched away

RayneAU

02-05-2013

I have a big beef with sega for this reason.
mostly because of there slaughter of the phantasy star and chromehounds series.

Yes in an mmo everyone sails they want more exp but no you morons you don't up the exp rate to X5 per kill that's just retarded.

but anyway onto riot.
I have not been a part of the community for long but there are a lot of changes they make that do help along with the bad ones .
Case in point dianas shield balls being range upgraded to match her attack.
I get a lot more use out of her nowadays.

changes they make to maps like the twisted treeline health pickup I think is awesome.

Idano I thik what it comes down too is with a big enough community if we change B some people will enjoy it and some people will not.
League dosent seem to be the type of game publisher to suicide bomb there games.

Gentleman Poro

02-05-2013

I think one of the companies that made some missteps was zipper on the socom series. They had an amazing game in socom 1 that was ruined by cheaters and glitches. They made another great game in socom 2 that did away with alot of the problems of socom 1 but destroyed alot of the great things about it as well. Each successive game they released they moved away from the original to include parts of other games that "players" liked that had massive changes to the feel of the game and they way it was played.

I think thats why games like Tribes: Ascend have done well because they stayed true towards the original gameplay, not tried to become call of duty with jetpacks.

I think that most league players love the game, and have very few fautls with it. They would rather see implementations in customization and UI, the "team/clan" system, friends list, spectating. Anything that doesn't change the gameplay of the game. I love the philosophy that you guys take with no hard counters, and wanting there to be decisions and hope that it stays on this path. I just think there are alot of games that make the mistake of trying to become the best parts of other games and lose their own identity.

SomeCallMeEd

02-05-2013

Personally I think a lot of players tend to warp the line between "need" and "want".

My favorite example is a game called Runescape.

It was a easy access browser MMO with an emphasis on adventure, Roleplay, and being social. Low graphics made it run like a fancy car on a wood computer. Eventually as updates came, players started wanting credit for their skills. People hit 99 in a skill just because it randomly happened, level 60 or so in a skill gave you most of the perks and it was overall not AS grindy (as it's infamous for). Untill the day skill capes were released. People started acting above those without capes, just general elietism for a simple cape that wasn't even that good. The RS dev team upon relasing more perks for 60+ and even having quests needing VERY high combat thought about making the game less grindy. The forums exploded, they HATED JaGex for even suggesting the game become less tedious and more challenging! Eventually seeing all the just awful responces the dev team kinda fled the forums, only announcements and random comments suggesting a more constructive responce. Today the dev team works with IVP and put in a system to make the game less grindy against the vocal minority, they hammered their F2P players with adverts and dramatically changed the game. This all never would have happened if players didn't get so hyped up on capes. To this day I blame the players of that game for outright killing it, no not yelps or solomon, the players.

The end.

On a side note Flyff utterly failed me when I hit about level 60 and realized there is nothing to do but kill monsters (normally the same kind for hours) every update is for level 120+ players and it takes years of
repetitive grinding to get there, all while updates like "players can vote for a king of their server, player must be 120 or Master or Hero (basically you go back to 60 and lvl to 120 again) and he can set tax rates on all items and trigger events! Kings get the taxed money as gold for him/herself". Yeah jerk move there.

Beas7ie

02-05-2013

I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of Blizzard and Diablo 3.

Took about 15 years to make after Diablo 2, many people said it wasn't that great gameplay wise and many others including myself didn't even go near it once we heard of the Always Online DRM and Error 37 mishap.

CooLTanG

Recruiter

02-05-2013

Originally Posted by Alice Twilight
Serious question, if this is all true then why is animation cancelling a thing in League?

Quote:
Morello:
Technical reasons.

Its also the only way melee champs can hit and keep up with players.

Hidden Sniper

02-05-2013

What players NEED- Heimerdinger to be viable