Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

efdf

01-29-2013

woah i didnt realize they made gunz 2

Ryios

01-29-2013

What games failed me:

-Every MMO after FFXi and WOW that tried to be WOW....
-FFXIV: I had high hopes for this game to deliver me a good UI for a game with content and features on par with FFXI... but no... utter failure, it is going to relaunch as a completely rewritten game, we will see
-Minecraft: Nice and Creative, gets booring quickly, lack of physics, lack of ability to do cool things like build a car, air plane, fly off a mountain with a hang glyder, this game could be SOOO much more than it is and would be awesome. right now it's awesome, but only for 1 day a month, I burn out on it fast then sit it down for 30 days. Cube World and Patterns releasing soon might breath some new fresh air into this concept.
-GW2: This game is great, don't get me wrong, but I just can't get over the concept of not raiding, and not having traditional healer/tank/dps roles. E.g. in a fight against some big giant boss with no way to get agro off the squishy mage and watching him tumble around like a fool with the boss dancing all over the place, not fun.

Bottom line, pretty much any game that isn't based off an original concept. The truly great games, are always original ideas and not trying to 1 up the guy before. Sure the game might be better than the one before it, but fun factor wise, it's not enough to maintain interest.

In order to hook people in a game, and get HUGE numbers of players, you need to be different, original, creative, inspirational. IMO, if you don't have a new, original, FUN, idea, don't bother making the game, just update/fix/improve the ones you have out already.

You finished building and launching a game, great. But don't move all those resources onto the next project. Instead dump all of it into community involvement, listen to the player base, give the players what they want. I don't know about anyone else, but if you sell what I want, I'll buy it, digital content download, expansions, graphic updates, you name it, it's all fair game.

NeoLlama

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropoftheGun View Post
call of duty, world of warcraft, battlefield 3.
the original call of duty failed you?

Malgana

01-29-2013

That sounds like a logic fallacy to me...

What you're saying here is that making things easier to understand makes them easier to use to a persons advantage, therefore it takes less skill and means less? I don't see how it means less if you can achieve the same goal with less effort, you're not missing out on anything and it doesn't take forever before you know how to do something.

How is this bad? of course making something easier to understand is going to make people gain levels or w/e faster because they can understand how to play faster, that's how it should work. The only reason you weren't gaining stuff crazy fast in your game is because it was overcomplicated and took you like 10 years just to learn how to play, that's no fun.

TROLOLOLOLIN

01-29-2013

Neopets.

Drekor

01-29-2013

Guild wars 2... such an amazing game, amazing lore, amazing combat... tossed out the window for another vertical progression MMO like all the rest. I nearly quit on the spot with ascended gear but decided to try it out... just made me think even worse of it .

Diablo 3 was pretty disappointing as well. Personally I didn't care about the AH stuff my big issue was with a major lack of customization which Path of Exile seems to have gotten right big time.

Sven the horible

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worst Zed Ever View Post
Game Companies that have let me down? Obsidian, Bioware, and Blizzard.
hey man, Bioware has only had one real abortion in its life, I don't think its fair to lump them in with blizzard

TROLOLOLOLIN

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malgana View Post
That sounds like a logic fallacy to me...

What you're saying here is that making things easier to understand makes them easier to use to a persons advantage, therefore it takes less skill and means less? I don't see how it means less if you can achieve the same goal with less effort, you're not missing out on anything and it doesn't take forever before you know how to do something.

How is this bad? of course making something easier to understand is going to make people gain levels or w/e faster because they can understand how to play faster, that's how it should work. The only reason you weren't gaining stuff crazy fast in your game is because it was overcomplicated and took you like 10 years just to learn how to play, that's no fun.
What he's saying is showing new players everything you need to know(making them understand) Doesn't really do anything. Its like saying 1+1=2 But not knowing the reason why... It's like teaching someone without the experience, rather than just letting them learn and experience the game by themselves.

Ryios

01-29-2013

FFXI is still my favorite online game ever, it had a bad UI, but other than that it was everything I've ever wanted from an online mmo.

It was fun, and it was (technically) orignal to the FF universe. When you got in the game, you didn't have a bunch of yellow question marks holding you through. You had to actually look around and explore things. People posted nice info about things they found on community forums. People playing the game read those useful bits of info off the community forums. People had to form groups to be able to level up, creating some really fun leveling sessions. You weren't just alone in the middle of some troll filled area fighting over a grinding spot for 80 levels. You actually grouped up, and had your (fisher) go out and get a mob and bring it back to the group where you methodically destroyed it with skill chain combinations off weapons and magic bursts.

The content just kept getting better, and the story line for being in an MMO was epic imo.

I mean, some of my best video game memories are from FFXI. I especially remember the first time I got a group to go to the gusgen mines. We were in the basement farming flies but there were skeletons that would eat us alive. I accidentally cast a GA spell on a fli and agroed 80% of the room and linked all the skeletons, it was so funny, every laughed their guts out, no one trolled or raged about it, and I removed the ga spell from my macros...

Or the first time I got a piece artifact gear on my first job high enough to get one... Epic times, good stuff.

Dunse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Blizzard

Vanilla>BC>

Everything after this point was made for 14 year old angst ridden children who need to play as death knights werewolves and eventually pandas..