Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

guinsu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

think it's only like 11:30 in cali, but points to morello for really really liking league of legends =]

Typhoo Tea

02-04-2013

Bioware with the mass effect 3 ending.

Red blue or green? Take a pick

Sessamo

02-04-2013

Morello do you have any champions that you consider "crown jewels" of design?
Obviously you're proud of most of your champions, but are there any that you legit wouldn't change a thing about?

FreakinEpic808

02-04-2013

Halo 4

Solance

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinsu View Post
think it's only like 11:30 in cali, but points to morello for really really liking league of legends =]
its actually 12:45 here, don't ask why I am still up thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sessamo View Post
Morello do you have any champions that you consider "crown jewels" of design?
Obviously you're proud of most of your champions, but are there any that you legit wouldn't change a thing about?
I dont know about morello but right now I really like zed and thresh, they fit into their concept perfectly and is a lot of fun to play with some degree of counter play.

MostlySilent

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solance View Post
its actually 12:45 here, don't ask why I am still up thou

I dont know about morello but right now I really like zed and thresh, they fit into their concept perfectly and is a lot of fun to play with some degree of counter play.
I tend to to think Singed and Hecarim are really, really well done.

Singed in particular.

Raptamei

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlySilent View Post
I can agree with this.

I dislike winning by not allowing the opponent to do things. Winning because you did cooler things feels awesome.

Winning because they can't deal with Nidalee split-push or massive amounts of lock-down crowd control are way less fun to deal with because you feel hopeless.
+1.
This is a big flaw of Dota 2 as well. It has several heroes that can split push very hard and are completely impossible to catch unless you are one of a small handful of heroes. Furion can even use his ult to split push all of the lanes at the same time without being anywhere nearby. You are not supposed to fight this by actually fighting them, you are supposed to use your own cheese more effectively than they use theirs. Perhaps you have vengeful spirit and you just steam down mid and anyone who gets within a two screen radius gets swapped into your team and instantly killed, or you have chaos knight and point and click to stun people for 4 seconds and easily kill them during that time by pressing R and right clicking.

There is very little actual fair fighting in Dota 2 and it is unfortunate that some LoL matches also end that way. Losing just because Yi threw himself at your towers for 20 minutes is not fun, winning because you landed one random hook and got a free kill on the enemy AP is not fun.

Solance

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlySilent View Post
I tend to to think Singed and Hecarim are really, really well done.

Singed in particular.
I think they are great in design mesh with gameplay, problem is they lack counter play, have you ever seen a lizard,mogs, and frozen fist hec or a full build late game singed? They are nigh unstoppable, they are also hard to shut down early game and still com back strong late even if you did. just my opinion though, I do love them both

Redeemed In Fire

02-05-2013

Issue I have with singed is he is literally the most passive character in the game. He has one job and one job only: Run away and make you chase him. You shouldn't chase him because he'll just run and make you eat poison, but you also shouldn't not chase him because then he'll sit on your face. He's also boring to play as because all you do is turn on ult, turn on q, and then occasionally hit w or e opportunistically. But mostly run around, because your kit has only 2 occasional use spells.

ImpTaimer

02-05-2013

*EDIT* I didn't realize how old/long this thread actually was.

If we're talking in general,

Xbox/Microsoft has systematically failed the console and PC playerbase.

*Straps on Nintendium armor and grabs UMD Launcher and Keyboard+Mouse-chucks*

Come at me.

If we're talking about League,

Riot has failed to make every champion reasonably viable in every game type and Elo. Instead we're left at the whim of the player-fabricated meta or some player finding a glaring exploit (bugs, "clever use of game mechanics", etc). FotM rollercoasters are neither fun nor engaging.

If you can win at the champion select, why bother allowing people to pick whatever champion they want? Why not limit champion role pick and ban choices (lane isn't important)? Because that feeds the player-fabricated meta? What's the point of avoiding it if you (intentionally or unintentionally) cater towards it?

LoL is not the type of game that allows for change on the fly (ie TF2, albeit loose example). You pick wrong, you suffer for 20 minutes.

Although I only believe champions are the problem when you remove rune/mastery/item/spell from the factor. Items/runes/mastery/spells do far more damage to balance than champions do honestly.