Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UrsaMinor

01-29-2013

Oblivion was a massive disappointment for me.

I played Oblivion for maybe 10-15 hours till dropping it. Morrowind? Hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Grammatizator

01-29-2013

i used to play runescape until they changed it into something it wasn't. plus i was getting bored of it anyway but now i definately don't look back at that game.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Moonray View Post
Borrderlands 2, Gearbox was like "Hey, what made Borderlands so loved? Let's do none of that, but make it look the same on the surface. Also, we should totally buttr*pe single player to force multiplayer. Then we won't release any of the content we hyped up in development, and never fix bugs."

I really don't understand at what point it became wrong to make a sequel just like in predecessor. I was under the impression that was the whole damn point of sequels. 6 Megaman games on the NES, all the same, nobody complained once. That's how it's done.
I enjoy Borderlands 2, but I have a few gripes on it.

The game is supposedly meant to be fun co-op, but the combat system that requires no teamwork other than ressurections and a total lack of mechanics to let players of different levels have fun together really hurts that.

I also don't like how gear becomes outdated, so finding the perfect gun for your play-style gets to be rough.

That said, what they did to the weapons was a flat out improvement in my opinion.

Eleven13

01-29-2013

Blizzard: diablo 3. One of the biggest fails in the history of gaming fails.

Shadowy1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Moonray View Post
Borrderlands 2, Gearbox was like "Hey, what made Borderlands so loved? Let's do none of that, but make it look the same on the surface. Also, we should totally buttr*pe single player to force multiplayer. Then we won't release any of the content we hyped up in development, and never fix bugs."

I really don't understand at what point it became wrong to make a sequel just like in predecessor. I was under the impression that was the whole damn point of sequels. 6 Megaman games on the NES, all the same, nobody complained once. That's how it's done.
I'd actually say that they knew what made Borderlands good, and just did it badly in Borderlands 2. They tightened up the random weapons generator which actually removed a lot of the weird and random weapons from the pool. They also made more "unique" weapons without making them actually unique which is a bit of a goof. People like weapons with red text, but only if that means it does something weird. Even if the weapons sucks novelty is what drives it. That and people said Borderlands was too easy, so they tried to make it harder but that just leads to walls of hitpoints in Diabloesque games if you aren't intelligent about it. They knew what people liked but did a bad job of "updating" it.

BurgÍrKing

01-29-2013

Dragon age 2.....
Cave and city simulator! 1.0

Ansaa

01-29-2013

A moba is something different: It can never be too simple or stupid proof". Its just too confusing, with too many champions, and way to many quick reactions and strategies for it to become simple.

Besides, look at all the recently released champions: They're getting more intricate and difficult to use. Compare Syndra to Annie, right?

But I understand your point: Dragon Age 2 was just mashing buttons the whole time.

Lord Gildarts

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fatalii View Post
The new final fantasy games. Everything after ff10 just blows. No free world map and ****
Hey FF12 was pretty awesome.

Zerglinator

01-29-2013

How should a Game Developer KNOW what the players want? Mind reading?

Snakeblade

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beas7ie View Post
I'm afraid that Riot will show us a new awesome map that's set in a volcano with one half molten and fiery and other half frozen tell us how badass it is and then at the last second troll us by canceling it and turning it into a game mode that no one plays.
For one, it was all molten i dont know where you got frozen from. And secondly the reasoning for canceling one of many concept ideas that leaked is completely contrary to most poats here. Releasing summoners rift 2.0 with molten particles would have been the easy money maker bringing no new innovation to the game or the genre. Its obvious they actually tried to build a new model for the game, problem is is that they did not anticipate spliting their efforts between gametypes and the newer was all but abandoned. In all honesty i appreciate being able to play murder bridge and CS rather then having 3 versions of SR.

Furthermore, on the topic of changing meta/game play, think about what you would pick 8 months ago. Kog maw nunu, oriana, ken top and mundo jungle were your picks, focusing on poke, often squishy with good sustain. Now think how its changed, we have shorter range tanks and sustained dps. Very different metas in a short time. Whether you're for or against this is a differet story but this is still a player influenced change that developers did not go out of their way to stop. Stagnating games like maple story in the op have not chamged that much, similarly wow. Its not thay leveling has gotten so much easier but instead that players have learned how to do it much more efficiently and the game was never adapted to balence that. Developers who actually influence the game in real time are always better in my opinion even if they change things im not 100% for.