Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Burungeru

02-04-2013

Quote:
kirby145x:
To all people discussing Brawl:

With no patch schedule Brawl was doomed to not give players what they wanted from the start. These days to not have a patch schedule is just not acceptable.

Except that Melee and Brawl are still both huge in the competitive gaming scene... I fail to see how they're doomed when both games are still relevant several years after release without a single patch update.

slamor

02-04-2013

Quote:
Burungeru:
Falco has a chain grab on just about every character in the game. His dash is much more reliable, his laser longer ranged, and he has a bit more potential to combo his moves together. Falco > Fox > Wolf tournament wise. There's a reason Falco is ranked 4th overall and Wolf at 16th >.>

Also, edited my last post to include wave-dashing / IC chain grab for whoever was looking for those.

I can not say how many things went wrong with a bad dash from wolf. Are you talking about up B or sideways and B?

JevelFaithful

02-04-2013

Quote:
Hellioning:
Most of which, incidentally, were bugs and not intended.

So I'd say Brawl is the better game.

Depends what you mean by better.

More fun as a fighting game? I think melee takes the cake.
More fun as a party/beat 'em'up game? Brawl all the way.

The best execution? Brawl too. Melee was a game that went out of control. Brawl is probably pretty much what they wanted. As a result, it's a lot less technical, slower and less balanced (becasue I think it's been almost officialy said by miyamoto that he didn't want a balanced vsFighting game). From experience, the guy that is invincible in melee, if he played brawl, he'd still be invincible. I know a guy who is so good at all 3 games he admit himself it's not fun to play against him. (the fact he can't play for fun doesn't help)

Take your pick. Personally I still prefer melee. Even tought I'm pretty bad at it.

Burungeru

02-04-2013

Quote:
slamor:
I can not say how many things went wrong with a bad dash from wolf. Are you talking about up B or sideways and B?

I'm talking about his side B. I believe that's one of the main reasons Fox is ranked higher than him.

Judge Arcadia

02-04-2013

Quote:
Morello:

To use your example, in the pattern of Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King, the changes to easier raid content and more accessibility is actually informed by a want that a lot of players expressed - IE, raids were content that was exclusive from them and they wanted a piece. I respect the guys who make WoW (and its success is a testament), but this is a good example of where the developers should have recognized the core need of exclusivity and the right tuning of that, and steered away from players said they wanted. Personally, I think Burning Crusade is a sweet spot.

Can you please teach Ghostcrawler how to properly balance the game then? Instead of throwing Hunter's under the bus like the "Redheaded Step Children Who Lives Behind The Staircase" that we are made to be.

kirby145x

02-04-2013

Quote:
Burungeru:
Except that Melee and Brawl are still both huge in the competitive gaming scene... I fail to see how they're doomed when both games are still relevant several years after release without a single patch update.
Brawl is huge? Didn't know that. I always thought melee had a better standing.

When Nintendo is going to take off and try new things like tripping and smash balls and go way off what they last did, patches are needed.

When they are trying to implement and online mode which they have never done before, patches are needed.

To my knowledge Brawl did not even use dedicated servers. You think that a company which has never had great netcode and online gaming experience in the past is going to "get it right the first time?"

And I doubt there is anyone in this forum who thinks Brawl's online gameplay was good. There is noone here who thinks it is even close to on par with MvC3 or SSFIV.

Part of the need for a patch schedule is that games are a lot more complex than they used to be. And companies really are "trying new things" but it is not guaranteed to work right.

Would you rather companies stick to the old formula in fear of messing something up and not being able to patch it and make adjustments? A patch would allow a game developer to try something new and give the players some new content because it allows them to fix any issues arising from that "gamble."

And a lot of the gambles that came out of SSBB are not able to be fixed, adjusted, removed because there are no patches.

Whether or not a game is well made, there will be exploitable issues. Would you prefer that a super overpowered character get patched or be permanent banned from tournaments and thus unplayable?

SnowTiger

02-04-2013

Diablo 3 (waste of $60, account got hacked, d2 is way superior)

WoW (last 2 expansion not good enough)

Maplestory (still sitting on my lvl 200 account sometimes, but overall this game is just so boring now)

Runescape (it is kept getting worse, just saying, 06 pure pking days were the greatest )

Hero of Might and Magic 4-6 ( 3 is the best strategy game ever created , after that it is just not going well)

Red Alert (meh...)

all failed pretty badly

league of legend is actually successful btw

Aryogaton

02-04-2013

Well, if Vlad's trollpool doesn't quite give him the depth of decision-making he could've gotten, what about Fizz's trollpole? Or other untargetability mechanics too, for that matter.

slamor

02-04-2013

Quote:
Burungeru:
I'm talking about his side B. I believe that's one of the main reasons Fox is ranked higher than him.

Also, can you link the tier list? I do not feel like looking for it. Thanks for all the great links. The infinite range laser is what I imagine what put falco up so high. Wolf's laser does much better on battlefield due to the very small size of the map. I played in one tournament and came in second place using wolf. The battlefield map was played.

Henry Plainview

02-04-2013

Quote:
Aryogaton:
Well, if Vlad's trollpool doesn't quite give him the depth of decision-making he could've gotten, what about Fizz's trollpole? Or other untargetability mechanics too, for that matter.

Troll pool is not what makes Vlad lack decisions. He lacks decisions because his gameplay is: is there an enemy nearby? Then press Q and E as soon as they're off cooldown.