Kiting, what is it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JoEpic

01-29-2013

-To the forums
I have heard this term thrown around, and i was wondering what it is?
here are the questions i have
- what is it (definition)
- basic item build for kiting
- champions good at kiting
- early mid and late game overview (what you do)
I thank you for imparting knowledge beforehand
Thank you
-EnkindledAngle

Orugund

01-29-2013

Kiting is short-ish for "kill in time," (source: experience in other games) basically it means you get an enemy to follow you so that you're moving away from it and damaging it, AND keeping its attention while avoiding taking any damage yourself. Unfortunately I'm new to the game as well, so I wouldn't be able to help you with and good builds or champions to use.

TrueSkillz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

kiting is the process of attacking and moving away from the enemy. so say they are chasing you and your a ranged champ. attack and move away. just keep doing that if they keep chasing you. if they are low enough and they start to run. then you start to chase.

best items are items that have a slow
frozen mallet
tri force

any adc can kite well

Andarel

01-29-2013

Kiting might be an acronym, but it revolves around staying just out of reach of enemies while still dealing damage so that damage builds up on them without you taking any.

The best champions for kiting are always ranged; in fact, it's almost impossible to kite someone without being ranged. An excellent example of this is Teemo - if you try to reach him he can pop Move Quick to stay out of reach or escape, and run away through shrooms while turning to autoattack every so often. Since you will be slowed from his ultimate he can get free damage without you actually reaching him.

Late-game this revolves around disengaging well. Ezreal with Triforce or Iceborn Gauntlet, another supreme kiter, will Arcane Shift away from a gap closer and then poke with Q and autoattacks, the slow from TF or IG preventing people from catching him. If they keep trying to commit but don't reach him, the kiting was successful and they are probably dead.

The downside to this is that kiting is generally all you are doing, since you are only hitting one target and generally moving away from the teamfight. If you are kiting, you won't be able to move back and hit higher-priority targets; someone on your team should be peeling for you so you can get back into the fight and focus down whoever was diving you or counterinitiate on the enemy's back line or disengage and punish the enemy team for splitting up.

Asaryu Sinon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnkindledAngle View Post
-To the forums
I have heard this term thrown around, and i was wondering what it is?
here are the questions i have
- what is it (definition)
- basic item build for kiting
- champions good at kiting
- early mid and late game overview (what you do)
I thank you for imparting knowledge beforehand
Thank you
-EnkindledAngle
- Kiting: maintaining distance between you and your target, generally your enemy. Can be achieved through various means including CC (stuns, roots, slows), movement speed (simply moving faster than them works), and character abilities (Ahri ult, Caitlyn net, Ashe slow on auto attack from Q).
Extra note: While just maintaining distance between you and your target is considered kiting, you also want to be able to damage them in the process.

- Anything with extra movement speed or a slow will help you kite. Items such as Statikk Shiv, Phantom Dancer for movement speed. Phage, Frozen Mallet, Trinity Force, Blade of the Ruined King. Boots: Getting boots and relevant upgrades to it also help a lot!

- Many champions have many tools for kiting. Pretty much any champion with CC or extra mobility can kite. Kiting isn't exactly a strategy to win, more a strategy of survival that anyone can do.

- Stutter step: This is a method of kiting people use for AD ranged carries. Basically it's just auto attack, take a step back, auto attack again. Rinse and repeat. Distance you move depends on how much you need to get farther away.

Using stutter step, combined with your character's abilities plus assistance from teammates will help in kiting.

OriginalJack

01-29-2013

Other people have explained it pretty well so I'll just leave this visual aid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTyKc5O9d7I

Dark Nephthys

01-29-2013

I was wondering the same thing...So would Singed be the king of Kiting? I mean...Assuming your enemy follows you without noticing what your doing xD

Andarel

01-29-2013

Singed, Teemo, Ezreal, Ashe are all excellent kiters.

Cloaked Figure

01-29-2013

I would also add that kiting is often used to refer to wounded or otherwise appetizing champions baiting a powerful enemy champion into chasing them as a set up for an ambush.

TrueSkillz

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked Figure View Post
I would also add that kiting is often used to refer to wounded or otherwise appetizing champions baiting a powerful enemy champion into chasing them as a set up for an ambush.
no that is baiting not kiting.

kiting is running from a melee champ on say ez and shooting skill shots backward whiles you are staying out of range of his attacks.