i think i am becoming racist due to league.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AoiAoi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

so im to the point now when i play with a certain group of people, i instantly ignore them in team chat even before they say anything, and i believe that this is a racist/discriminatory reaction. i know that there are jerks in all races and creeds, but i find myself singling out one particular group before they have committed any kind of offense.

anyone else have this reaction or have any insight into why i started doing this. after i noticed what i was doing i did stop making the snap judgements, im still not sure how it got that bad in the first place. maybe Lyte or anyone from PB & J would have some explanation as to how someone could get so far gone.

Enterti

01-29-2013

I think everyone has that one group they don't like for whatever reason. As long as you don't harass them or vocalize your opinion you should be fine though.

AoiAoi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

well im not worried about a ban or anything, i dont say anything if i cant say anything nice. i just dont like how i came to this point. i was really hoping someone knew if there was a particular cause for this type of behavioral modification. i have been playing online games for years and never had an issue like this. i dont play SR anymore because of it tbh. i stick to custom ARAMs and Dom. just because the number of ppl i see who are overly aggressive or toxic seem to be the above mentioned nationality and they always seem more toxic in SR.

Enterti

01-29-2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negativity_bias

And if it is the group I assume you are thinking of the good ones generally do not even bother to chat, so it seems like you are only paired with the bad ones thus compounding the bias.

AoiAoi

01-29-2013

thank you for that Enteri i do believe you are correct with the negative bias, you also have provided me with a way to overcome this. many many many thanks sir/mam'

Forchark

01-29-2013

Racism is of all colors and types. The fact that I acknowledge a difference in skin tone between myself and a black individual makes me racist. What matters, as said, is that you try to take the time to get to know each person individually. You will be happier that way. If they close the door to it at all, ignore them.

Enterti

01-29-2013

You are very welcome, I hope that helped.

Uccisore

01-29-2013

Brainwashing at it's finest. You play a game with people from all around the world and notice that certain cultures tend to be jerks and feeders...it can't POSSIBLY have any merit to it because your worldview won't let it. Better to just assume you're crazy and let a stranger on the internet help you make the bad old evidence go away.

Shunkwugga

01-30-2013

Racism has to do with race. Brazilian isn't a race, and neither is Russian.

I hate playing with either one of them since both groups tend to be horrible beyond words.

Uccisore

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunkwugga View Post
Racism has to do with race. Brazilian isn't a race, and neither is Russian.

I hate playing with either one of them since both groups tend to be horrible beyond words.
Nono, that's just an illusion based on a latent bias and blah blah blah blah! It can't possibly be that we're all noticing the same thing because there's some truth to it.