Need help with Shyvana Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dark Nephthys

01-29-2013

So I've been playing her during the free week when she was up and really like her and going to buy her now but I'm still having some trouble with what to actually build with her. I tried to look up guides for her, but almost all the guides were for jungling and I just wanna play Top with her. So here's my build so far and please let me know what you all think and can change anything for me.

(Remember this is for Playing Top. And Currently I'm level 25, so rem that when you look at runes/Masteries)

Masteries:
22 in Attack
1 in Defense
2 in Utility

Runes:
Attack Marks (Flat) {Should I change it to Armor Pen Marks?)
Armor Seals (Flat)
Magic Resist Glyphs (Scaling)
Attack Quints

Start off with Boots and 3 potions
First return get Vamperic Scepter
Then upgrade to Ninja Tabi/Merc Treads and Bloodthirster
Then buy Tiamat and save up for Phage
After Phage, I'll get Sheen and Zeal to upgrade it to Trinity Force

At that time I would have
Tier 2 Boots (Merc/Tabi)
Bloodthirster
Tiamat
Trinity Force

Then the other 2 would be situational and wouldn't exactly know what to get...I'll prob upgrade the Tiamat to Hydra and then buy Black Cleaver and if the game lasted long enough maybe end with Warmog's Armor for some extra HP.

I never actually did this exact build yet, I use to get the build besides for tri force but when I really thought about it, Tri Force can be really powerful on her and decided to get tri force over Frozen mallet.

Can some one please let me know how you think of this build? I really enjoy playing her and she's a strong champion and can deal some serious damage in dragon form and she's the first top champion that I actually enjoy. Thanks to everyone that reads and helps me.

Kaalika

01-29-2013

I like hydra and warmogs on her, she really needs the tankiness or it's just roar in and w out before you get blown up, but this season she also needs the extra damage and it's harder to get those big damage items in the jungle.

katyyyyyyyyyyy

01-29-2013

Inaugurate her tanky, but better alternatives prevail. Shyv can't win trades if built offensively, or it is very hard. If built tanky, she is inferior to the tanks who got lots of cc in their apparatus or scaling with defensive stats in their apparatus.

Cloaked Figure

Recruiter

01-29-2013

Call me a weirdo, but on Shyvana I'd rather build Phage into Frozen Mallet than Trinity Force.

Kaalika

01-29-2013

It's not weird she needs the slow of frozen mallet. People told me not to build hydra on her but I find she's not a true tank anymore compared to others and needs the extra damage of hydra to be a threat in teamfights.

Sikuq

01-29-2013

I'd say you're getting the phage way too late. I'd go 2x doran's blades and then build into phage/frozen mallet.

GoombaStompin

Recruiter

01-29-2013

I'd recommend a bigger focus on tankiness rather than damage items. Your goal as shyv in a fight is to sit on an important target and make their life miserable, not "burst" targets down.

early core:
Boots, Doran Sword, Phage (with plenty wards/pots)

Mid game:
Boots, Frozen Mallet, Witz End

Consider adding in Sunfire Cape and Randuin for armor choices, and Hex Drinker or Warmogs if you're concerned with the enemy's ap damage.

I'd also highly recommend switching to 9-21-0 for Masteries.

Dark Nephthys

01-29-2013

Alright I took some of your advice and I might change my order to..

Boots +3 pots
Vamperic Scepter
Phage
Upgrade to Tier 2 Boots (Still prob tabi/treads)
Upgrade to Bloodthirster
Tiamat
Upgrade to Frozen Mallet
Upgrade to Hydra
Warmog's Armor
Last item is basically getting what I feel I lack in the current Battle (Damage/Tank/HP etc)

Would that be a better order? Also would Armor Pen marks be better then Attack marks on her?

I still feel that Shyvana is an excellent champion to use for bursting the targets down..Her Q allows her to easily deal an insane amount of damage to a target (or targets in dragon form). I understand that she can also be a great tank, but I like playing her as an offensive champion that deal a good amount of damage while be some what bulky.

MadTenuki

01-29-2013

I always play her tanky, but if you're shying away from that, have you tried sotd on her? I'm theory crafting here, haven't tried it myself, but ulti jumping on someone with w going, hitting once, hitting again with q, then critting 3 times with sotd, then hitting again and getting another q off ... It sounds a bit trolly but let's face it, your job is to take out a squishy adc or ap, and I can't see any of them surviving that.

So build would be like phage or brutalizer depending if you want damage or tanky, sotd, whichever one of brutalizer or phage you didn't get, or giant's belt if you need more tankiness. Your core would be cleaver, sotd, and frozen mallet. After that you probably want tanky warmogs or some type of spell shield or cleanse for final items. I'm curious to try it now