Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Let's Talk Rammus Builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ReBorNKiLLeR

Recruiter

10-23-2010

First off, there is no set build for rammus. It all depends on how the enemy team is built. Say, for example, there is an enemy team composed of 4 ranged and melee dps and a hard hitting veigar. I would build
1. cloth armor to Heart of gold
2. Mercury Treads.
the rest; in no particular order, Thornmail, banshees and sunfires, capping off with finishing my randuins from the Heart of Gold. A Rammus build all depends on the enemy composition and how they are doing throughout the game. If their ryze has a score of 5-0 in the halfway mark, maybe its time to hold off on your armor items and get a FoN or a Banshees.
Starting off with rammus, however, i would recommend getting a heart of gold as your first item as it can be built later on into a Randuins Omen.

Also, on the topic of Boots of Mobility, why in the mother of hell would you pass up on dodge or stun reduction for movespeed? As rammus with powerball, you can easily get across the map quickly; having a boots of mobility hinders your ability to tank better with the added MR or Armor.

Here are a list of items that i would consider on Rammus:
Thornmail, Sunfiresx2, Banshees, Randuins, Aegis, Force of Nature, Quicksilver Sash, Frozen Heart, Spirit Visage, and Soul Shroud. I would not recommend Guardian Angel because it loses nearly all of its usefulness later on due to the fact that it can only revive 750 hp now.

Lee Wang

10-23-2010

Go AP rammus, someone posted a guide sometime ago, it is by far the best build. Don't ever get armor, it's a trap. Yes he will gain a tiny bit of extra AD, but that isn't very useufll since you don't have crit or attack speed and you shouldnt be autoattacking anyway, also your natural+w will give you more armor than two thornmails.

Twilexia

10-23-2010

rammus is fantastic. i love playing him. his weakness is health. compared to some other tanks he has relatively low health.

i go the same jungling build you do with smite/flash and cloth armor + 5 hp's. i always build merc treads... it's just too good on rammus to not have.

thornmail + ninja tabi kind of cancels out each other's effect. if they hit you, well, ninja tabi's not doing its job, and if they don't hit you, then thornmail's not doing its job.

i rush health items on rammus - always try to get warmog's first. then, banshee's veil, and then a sunfire. at this point you have nearly 5000 health at level 18 with an elixir, along with nearly 200 magic resist/armor, which is more than enough (diminishing marginal returns after that). at this point i just stick to buying wards and elixirs until the game's over, but if you have a nice pot of extra gold you should change that cloth armor to a randuin's omen or aegis.

ChasmGasm

10-23-2010

From the other threat the OP was in:

1)regrowth pendant + hp pot
2)philosopher's stone + heart of gold + boots of mobility(be EVERYWHERE)
3)negatron cloak + chainmail
4or5)banshee's or force of nature OR sunfire or thornmail
4or5)upgrade to shurelia's item and randuin's omen

As a personal playstyle, I much prefer to get force of nature and sunfire so that i don't have a super incredible amount of health or the little bubble. The reason I don't want either is because i like to powerball way too far ahead of my team and let the other team think they can kill me, they blow their loads, and my team sweeps up. Sometimes I even get to live through it all. At a glance, a low hp tank without a bubble seems really easy to kill, never mind my 400MR and armor while i'm in curl.

Shurelia's new deal is just hilarious with powerball. Also is funny to slow their entire team and haste your entire team at the same time.

For skills I get all 3, then max Q and then alternate between e and w, if i start to get beat up, more emphasis on w and if not, more on e.
Q does silly aoe damage and slows at like 50% at max (something close to that). I usually taunt as soon as I recover if my teammate is in the right spot at that point. After you powerball for that much (hits hard if you max it first) most people are jamming on the flash button or some other escape skill/spell, I love a flashed melee character running back to me. Also powerball is nice for farming, one or two hit the back row and powerball for a sexy 3-4 creep kills.

For laning, get in their face and then regen off the punishment. Don't get yourself killed, but with the right talents and items, you just play safe for like half a minute and you can be threatening again. You only get to kill noobs at your tower with taunt, which is why I don't max it out first.

GlitchedOut

10-23-2010

Quote:
Twilexia:

thornmail + ninja tabi kind of cancels out each other's effect. if they hit you, well, ninja tabi's not doing its job, and if they don't hit you, then thornmail's not doing its job.

Red post which I can't find at the moment says an attack dodged still proc's thornmail and DBC reflected damage.

tigerllama

10-24-2010

First, I'm really upset about the sudden realization that Rammus is an amazing jungler. Sure, he was buffed and does better now, but he was always good.

Second, Rammus' core build is this
--------
HoG
Merc Treads
Aegis
--------
Everything after that is situational. You typically have enough time to get two more items before the game is done, which USUALLY are Banshee's then Sunfire or Randuin's then Banshee's.

goonsy

10-24-2010

Quote:
tigerllama:
First, I'm really upset about the sudden realization that Rammus is an amazing jungler. Sure, he was buffed and does better now, but he was always good.

Second, Rammus' core build is this
--------
HoG
Merc Treads
Aegis
--------
Everything after that is situational. You typically have enough time to get two more items before the game is done, which USUALLY are Banshee's then Sunfire or Randuin's then Banshee's.

+1 I'll vouch for this build, it's what i usually do.

Banshees, Randuin's and sunfires all work really well with Rammus because he doesn't have that high a base HP for a tank. HoG is pretty good as well because Rammus doesn't lane very well and won't really get a chance to farm early on.

biomorph

10-24-2010

I would say that with the new warmogs it is definately a good first item to rush.
Start with regrowth so you can afford get some last hits and then retreat and regen up again.
Rammus problem early game has always been his lack of HP scaling. And HP is what you want early to mid game for survival. Once you have Warmogs you can start building Armor and/or Resist items depending on enemy compositions.
As for Boots it's pretty straight forward Ninja Tabi or Merc Treads but I almost always go for Merc Treads for the passive as there is almost always one or more CC champions on other team.

My old build was HoG->Boots->Sunfire. It is still viable but I have taken quite a liking in rushing the new Warmogs as first item. Sunfires are a good but somewhat overrated in my opinion so rushing thses is not a must. The same goes for the situational Thornmail.

Omen however is what I get for first Armor item as it gives you Armor/HP/Regen/CDR and has a very nice clicky that helps you tank better in group fights as they can not run away easily nor rush your allies.

Banshee is just brilliant as magic resist as it also gives you HP and much needed mana. I am certain that most Rammus players have cursed how fast you burn through your mana in fights.

Guardian Angel is always a good option ... simply brilliant.

I usually pick Frozen Heart over Thornmail since I am not concerned about carries hitting me more than my allies. Smart carries will ignore you unless you taunt them or you are the only one left.

All in all I rarely build sunfires or thornmail anymore as there are better alternatives that does more for you and your team.

If you feel like having a little fun after warmogs and a banshee throw in a Atma Impaler this baby will make you a semi physical carry =P Had a lot of fun with this item but it's not exactly priority.

Force of nature also is phenomenal against caster heavy teams ...

Well that is a little rambling from me, but try starting with regrowth and rush Warmogs. I find it to work pretty well. But don't you die and farm good because the faster you get it the better ... a LOT better.

OctopusDropkick

10-24-2010

Thornmail on Rammis is not suggested, you have ballcurl which comes with a Thornmail. Your CC, taunt, is mostly there to apply control, not so much damage. Ballcurl's damage output is just a nice little perk.

What you should be more concerned about is cooldown for more CC application, durability, and threat/damage output.

1. Omen helps cooldowns, durability, and CC application, while also threat output by using his abilities more. The active also works with ballcurl.

2. Sunfire cape applies a base 40 damage / per + HP all the time. Usually more suggested than Thornmail vs a lot of physical damage.

3) Rylai's Staff gives a lot of CC, HP, and more threat from AP damage on his abilities.

4) Abyssal Sceptor also gives MR, AP damage, and flat MR pen vs squishy targets.

AreYouReady2Die

10-24-2010

My typical jungle build or lane build that I win with about 90% is (vs physical)dorian, ninja tabi, sunfire,Manamune, Banshee, sunfire, situational item FoN or thornmail usually situational b4 2nd sunfire.

Against magical mana crystal>tear of goddess, mercury treads, banshe, sunfire, FoNN sunfire.

Simple and easy, sunfire ups your farming tear/manamune gives you 60 hp regen off your mana pool