Let's Talk Rammus Builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IntFam

10-22-2010

Item builds, specifically.

Lately, I've been addicted to Rammus. To put it shortly, his tanky "beat me all you want, but it's gonna hurt" play style is just what I was looking for in a regular-to-play champion.

So far, I've had lots of success with him, but I'm having doubts about my build order.

I play him jungler (and really, you have no reason not to. He's amazing at it), so I usually start with 5 pots and a cloth armor (I take all the pots I can so I can clear the jungle in one quick run without having to B for more, obviously) and build those into Ninja Tabi. My rationale behind this is that the extra avoidance doesn't hurt jungling, the armor contributes to my passive, and Rammus can generally survive 90% of any sort of spell salvo the enemy team throws at me, which is why I choose tabi over Merc's. Then I move on, as all good tanks should, to Aegis, then Thornmail. You may notice something wrong here. My build is right in line with the recommended buys, which is generally a very, VERY bad thing, from my experience.

So far, sure enough, I've followed Thorn mail with Sunfire cloak or Guardian Angel. Usually Guardian Angel.

Now, my question is, is this a smart build, even though it defies every instinct in my head from what I've learned in my time playing LoL

My rationale behind my build order after Tabi is basically this. Aegis is vital to any tank and the aura is invaluable. Rammus is frequently focused because of his initiation and taunt, so adding on to his reflexive damage seems like a good idea with Thornmail. GA just seems a no-brainer after that. Being able to soak up a ton of damage that gets reflected back at the enemy team, then powerballing out after a quick revival? Sounds good to me.

Now, I have a hard time justifiying even considering buying Sunfire. It makes sense because Rammus thrives on getting up close and personal with his enemies, but I can't help but feel that Randuin's is an infinitely better choice (albeit a more expensive one.)

So please, Guides and Strategy forum. Help me out here. Am I doing it right or should I change it up?

IntFam

10-23-2010

Really? No one can help me with this one? >_>

ChasmGasm

10-23-2010

Both! Thornmail is situational imo. And I'm totally gay for boots of mobility on rammus, with ghost. You can be ANYWHERE that you need to.

saixx

10-23-2010

Thornmal is situational. How often are you being autoattacked other than when you taunt? A banshees veil is great for MR. I usually end up with a randuin's omen, banshees veil, guardian angel, situational boots, and filler items if they are more AD or AP.

GlitchedOut

10-23-2010

My Rammus build is:

1) Tabi or heart of gold.

2a) If Tabi then evaluate teams magic vs attack damage ratio. If magic is higher then I start the Force of Nature. If Attack is higher then I check to see if they have more than 1 autoattacker. If yes then I start thornmail. If no then I start Sunfire.

2b) If I got the heart of gold first then my second purchase is Tabi.

3) Again, evaluate the enemy team. This time I watch for who is getting the most kills and then who is getting the most assists. Assess their damage types. If Magic is greater, then I start/finish Force of Nature. If Attack is greater then start/finish thornmail or Sunfire.

Recheck scoreboard.

4a) If Magic is killing me and I have FoN, I start Banshee Veil. If magic is killing me and I don't have FoN, then I start building that.

4b) If Attack is killing me and I have Sunfire but not HoG, then I buy HoG. If I have HoG but not sunfire, then I start sunfire.

Check the scoreboard again.

5a) If Magic is killing me then I should have FoN and BV. If not, start/finish those items. If those are done and I need more, start Abysmal Scepter.

5b) If attack is killing me then I should have a finished HoG and Sunfire. If not then start/finish those items. If those are done I need more then I start Wardens Mail.

Score Board Check. Game isn't over yet?

At this point of the game there is only a few options left to go. For example, if your build in the game went so far:
Tabi, Sunfire, FoN, BV, Abysmal... then your last item should be GA.

If your Build went Tabi, FoN, BV, Abysmal... then you are better off getting a Sunfire. The reasoning is more health will give you a better return on your money than stacking more MR. Plus with your Abysmal passive, sunfire adds to your threat/damage in the group fights. If magic damage is really bad, you can consider a second FoN and a GA but generally speaking you better off getting that extra HP.

On the flip side, if your build somehow went Tabi, Sunfire, Thornmail, Randiun Omen I would consider 2 things. Does your team do lots of Magic damage? If yes then move into Abyssal Scepter if no one else on your team has. If someone on your team does have it or your not on a team with heavy magic damage then move on and get another Sunfire or a GA.

The last thing I think you should consider is this: don't always get Tabi. Pay attention to how many stuns and slows they have. If you are looking at a Morganna, Galleo, Ashe, Swain, Taric then by all means get Mercury treads. The less time you are stunned, the more time you have to get where you need to be to taunt the bad people off your carries.

IntFam

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasmGasm View Post
Both! Thornmail is situational imo. And I'm totally gay for boots of mobility on rammus, with ghost. You can be ANYWHERE that you need to.
This is true. I've considered BoM, but I always fall back into Tabi simply because it's always half-built for me when I start :P I'll have to give 'em a whirl. I run ghost as well

Also, I probably should have noted that I have been considering enemy team comps before building Thornmail. I've been lucky to be up against many teams with auto-attack/phys damage heavy champs so far (eat it, Garen), and I've really only regretted picking it up once, and that was during a practice game where I kind of stopped trying after our Jax fed and Teemo left after 15 minutes of buying no items :P

Also, to GlitchedOut, thanks for the comprehensive groundwork for buy order. That helps me a lot to work out how to adapt my build order.

Volkner

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-23-2010

It's also worth noting that Thornmail might be better on squishy chars rather than tanks. Think about it. Your enemy doesn't want to hit you. They want to kill your allies first. That is, they want to ignore you if they can, thus negating Thornmail's passive.

If you want armor, I personally am a sucker for Randuin's Omen. Its passive is cool, active is even better - slow down movement and attack speed of nearby enemies? Yes please. This way if you're focused first anyway, you punish them with Omen's passive (potentially), and can hit them again with the active just for kicks.

Cooldown reduction is also useful.

GlitchedOut has a useful series of 'evaluation steps' - I guess one thing to note is that tanks shouldn't have a static build, but should rather use a build that depends on enemy team makeup.

One thing that I've been considering, though, and want to throw this at you as well - Quicksilver Sash, at least when going against Galio. Galio's ult is a channel, so it can be interrupted - my dream is to get taunted, Sash, taunt him out of his ult. 8D Haven't really gotten around to testing this though.

IntFam

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkner View Post
One thing that I've been considering, though, and want to throw this at you as well - Quicksilver Sash, at least when going against Galio. Galio's ult is a channel, so it can be interrupted - my dream is to get taunted, Sash, taunt him out of his ult. 8D Haven't really gotten around to testing this though.
I believe they shortened the taunt duration to a little shorter than the effect itself, so you may be able to try this out without QSS. It certainly would be satisfying to pull off.

Goldoak

10-23-2010

I need to jungle more with Rammus, but if you're going to start laning with him, start witha regrowth pendant and rush a philosopher's stone. The regen will keep him in lane forever, and let you spam pretty much all your abilities without worrying about mana. Later on, you can sell it, or turn it into a Reverie, which I find surprisingly useful on Rammus. The CDR helps him with DBC and spamming his ult, and the mana regen holds him in pretty good stead for the rest of his career. Plus the active is just so much fun with powerball. You can pretty much get wherever you need to go.

I generally go for merc treads and an aegis early, and then unless they're stacked hard with casters, don't usually need any more MR after that. I like a sunfire, a randuins and then maybe an Atma's as a last item.

I am Bobicus

10-23-2010

here you go sunfire,sunfire,sunfire,sunfire,sunfire,sunfire lol i did that once