Is Yorick's ultimate considered necromancy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gweee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

If so, then how is he able to cast it within the bounds of a Field of Justice?

According to the first JoJ, the League allows only two city-states to study necromancy. While they haven't banned its use outside of the League (hence why it is okay for Yorick to perform his duties), "The League does not sanction the use of necromancy, and the study of necromancy and the manufacture of necromantic items are not allowed within the Arcanum Majoris." (JoJ Issue 1, Piracy Strikes Demacian Navy section)

With that said, Yorick's ultimate creates a revenant so that the death of the champion will result in a recalling of the spirit. My question then is, if this in fact necromancy (pretty sure summoning the soul of a recently departed into a visible ghost is necromancy) why can he use it? As much as the League cautions against its use and restricts it within the Arcanum Majoris, are they going to let a champion freely use it in a Field of Justice? Or are the supposed powers of the nexuses and summoners in the League powerful enough that this use of necromancy isn't seen as an issue?

Perhaps I am misreading something, but I am pretty sure this is a little inconsistent.

HerbaNoctis

01-28-2013

Quote:
If his ally dies while their revenant is alive, the revenant sacrifices itself to reanimate them temporarily by restoring them to full health and giving them time to enact vengeance.
It's not summoning their soul, it's temporarily breathing life back into their dead body. They're very much corporeal for this time.

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

It's a controlled exception. Much like the League restricts the use of any potions sans what is 'sold' at the shop, they are making an exception for Mundo's anabolics and Singed's poisons, because those are their core abilities.

Detective Riven

01-28-2013

Okay, there is really only one problem that I have with this theory. We don't fully understand what "dying" on the field of justice actually means. For all intents and purposes it seems to be an infinite loop where your body and the leagues version of a soul never really die or move on... you just seem to pull a Red and white out when you are defeated and then pop back up some where. So as much as this warrants possible discussion,I'm not sure if it can go anywhere unless we have a full defintive answer on what happens when a champion dies on a field of justice under the call of a summoner. I'd honestly think you'd have a stronger case arguing for Necromancy in Yorick's standard abilites, he technically summons spirits to do his bidding. Although just like with Morde's ultimate I officially have no bloody idea as to what happens or if there is even a spirit avaliable to be manipulated... RIOT! PLS!!!

Managable

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweee View Post
With that said, Yorick's ultimate creates a revenant so that the death of the champion will result in a recalling of the spirit.
The same could be said for Mordekaiser's ultimate

Kungaherre

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanWarwick View Post
Okay, there is really only one problem that I have with this theory. We don't fully understand what "dying" on the field of justice actually means. For all intents and purposes it seems to be an infinite loop where your body and the leagues version of a soul never really die or move on... you just seem to pull a Red and white out when you are defeated and then pop back up some where. So as much as this warrants possible discussion,I'm not sure if it can go anywhere unless we have a full defintive answer on what happens when a champion dies on a field of justice under the call of a summoner. I'd honestly think you'd have a stronger case arguing for Necromancy in Yorick's standard abilites, he technically summons spirits to do his bidding. Although just like with Morde's ultimate I officially have no bloody idea as to what happens or if there is even a spirit avaliable to be manipulated... RIOT! PLS!!!
As explained in The lore a champ dying they feal The pain of actually dying both The Champions and The summoner, The respawn is Actually The Time the summoners need to recover from The pain they feel from dying in the league

Frequently

01-29-2013

From http://na.leagueoflegends.com/story/...20-june-21-cle
The first paragraph for The Mailbag of Justice

Quote:
With [Yorick] joining the League, some people have asked if the League is violating its own policy on necromancy. I would like to clarify that necromancy is permitted for use on the Fields of Justice by champions, it’s only forbidden for use within the Institute or by Institute officials. Champions have contracts with the League, although they are not directly employed or commanded by it. There are some caveats to that statement, but it’s generally true for these purposes. Beyond all that, the new champion’s method is…somewhat different than what is currently classified as necromancy.