Just did a couple PVP matches. Looking for some advice.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TailsMK4

01-28-2013

So tonight I decided I would try PVP even though my computer is weak at the moment. I will keep these two matches short so this post doesn't get long:

1st match: I was playing with a friend, and he had big problems with his internet then, so it ended up being 4vs5. Guess how that turned out.

2nd match: With the first match being a sort of introduction, I head out into the Rift again understanding a little how PVP works, and while I volunteered to take bot, my teammates suggested I take mid since I had range (I was using Ezreal). I recalled the few tournament matches I watched on Youtube as I played through the game, and made some actions that impressed my team.

For starters, I won the two fights I soloed against my opponent (who was Vi) on mid. I actually got quite a few kills (7 in all, and a few assists), as I decided to help my team gank at other lanes while doing a majority of my minion fighting at mid. The other team eventually shut me down, though. I remember one of the people saying I fought bravely. After that, we finally got to pushing when we were all around level 12-13. About a minute or two later, we were all inside the base destroying the last turrets and inhibitors, though the other team killed me one more time before the game was done (3 deaths in all). I wanted to say good game to everyone, but my computer loaded too slowly to see anyone still in the chat at the end.

In the end, I gave all of my team members +1 Teamwork, and in return I got +1 Honorable Opponent in both matches. PVP was really fun, and I look forward to doing more matches soon. So, before I do so, would you guys mind answering a few questions for me?

1. I am starting to get "good" with Ezreal, and I plan to unlock Ahri fairly soon, since I found her fun to use. After that, though, I am unsure what champion to try next. I do know I should save up soon to get Runes as well, since I'm at level 15 right now. What other ranged champions might be worth trying out if my overall strategy is to be aggressive, though not TOO aggressive to risk reckless dives? I also am curious about other champions I should try out. I heard Cho'Gath and Nalphite were good, but any others you would recommend?

2. I wish to do my part in honoring my opponents, so what should I look for in an opponent to see if he/she is worth being given an honor if I am unable to see how the person reacts at the end of a match?

3. Any tips you guys would recommend when doing PVP? I have already figured out how to deal with players that may be hiding in the brush (I got the ping sound more than once when I fired the Mystic Shot in them), and the players in the game warned me about the other team ganking as well. I mainly am interested in tips that will help me be a better teammate.

Any advice you guys have for me will be great. I know this was a long post, but I had a lot to say. Thanks for reading, and maybe perhaps we'll meet on the fields someday.

EDIT: Just out of curiousity, when will I be able to post in other forums? I see a message saying I need to be level 5, but when I looked at ranks, I only saw Junior Member, Member, and Senior Member. Does this mean I need 30 posts first? This is confusing me...

iTziLLiRL

01-28-2013

Your in game level needs to be 5, and to be a better team player is just to carry them. All people care about is winning. Normals/co-op/ranked doesn't matter. To elaborate more if you're playing a carry(Carries will usually be in solo lanes or bot lane ranged AD) You just need to carry and a lot of it comes down to experience.

Uhh and just a warning, like most of other games there are many nasty people, who will talk smack, have negative attitude, or try to throw their logic at you. Just ignore them and don't pay attention to them =P. LoL Is a good game don't let these Ethugs mess with you.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsMK4 View Post
What other ranged champions might be worth trying out if my overall strategy is to be aggressive, though not TOO aggressive to risk reckless dives?
Speaking in broad terms, there are 3 ways that a champion can hope to interact with the enemy in a laning situation.

1. All-in: You can engage the enemy in a way that means they are sure to die before they reach safety even if they start running right away. A champ with a devastating "full combo" burst or heavy cc combined with high damage.
2. Trade: You can engage and retreat in a way that means they are going to take more damage than you. This could be because you have a temporary shield, or you have a disengage that limits how easily they can hit you back, or you just deal more damage.
3. Poke: You can deal damage at range from outside the enemy's optimal range so that there is no risk involved.

It sounds like you're looking for a champion with good poke. You won't get as many kills but your opponent will feel the results of your aggression. Ezreal certainly falls into that category. Caitlyn is another AD carry who pokes well because of her long attack range and pass-through skillshot. Lux and Ziggs are some AP carries with strong poke. For support characters, try Lulu and Sona.

TimelessMonk

01-29-2013

Hey man,

It seems that you don't really know the roles, but then at your level it doesn't matter really. I'll explain it because you'll need to learn when you get to higher levels.

Here are the roles:

ADC (Attack damage carry) - Usually they are ranged users that build attack. Graves, Ashe, Caitlynn and even Ez. Of course there are more, but you get the jist of it. An ADC's job is to farm and get kills at Bot lane with his or her support. He or she as the name suggests helps carry the team to victory if fed.

Support - This is rather obvious but some champions are made to assists others. Taric, Sona, Leona to name a few go Bot as well to help feed the ADC. Support always carry a few wards with them to ward the river so bottom won't get ganked. You're job here is to keep you Carry safe at all cost, help him get kills, and ward ward ward ward WARD WARD.

Jungler - This is a tricky role that many don't really know how to do. You definitely need runes to pull this role off. As you can tell by the name instead of laning you run through the jungle and kill the creeps in the jungle. Lee sin, Udyr, Shyvanna and Olaf are a couple of good junglers.You're job is to aid your team by ganking lanes that are gankable and farm. A good jungler always carry a ward with him as well.

Solo Top - Usually you want someone tanky to go top or someone with sustain. Lee sin, Nidalee, Darius, and etc. Pretty much this lane is like Mid but for ad lol You always want to keep a ward in your river because you're alone up there and you can get ganked.

APC (Ability Power Carry) - Of course is for AP spell casters Ahri, Annie, Mordekaiser, Morganna, and many more. All you do is farm and kill while keeping yourself from getting ganked. Buy a ward put it on oneside of the river and fight closer to that side.

TimelessMonk

01-29-2013

Right now no one probably follows this at your lvl because no one can handle top by themselves or know how to jungle.

Also make sure you learn your counters of your favorite champions @ Championselect . com

TimelessMonk

01-29-2013

Here are popular champions right now in rank that i've seen:

For:

ADC - Graves, Caitlynn, Draven, and Miss Fortune (MF)
Support - Leona, Taric, BlitzCrank, and Sona
APC - You get a variety here honestly lol you have to decide who you like. Like ahri.
Solo Top - Darius, Jayce, Zed, Olaf, Riven, Occasional Teemo, Singed, Teemo, Jax, and much more.
Jungle - Lee sin, Shyvanna, Olaf, Dr. Mundo, Malphite, Amumu, and Nocturne.

RealMouse

01-29-2013

some people will tell you to stick to 2 or even 3 "roles" (lanes) and 1 or 2 champs each..i diluted my gaming early on by trying (and failing) to master 38 champs..do not do that to yourself !!! also, save that precious IP for runes!!! you will need 2-3 pages worth and 1 page can cost about 15k IP . Pre-lvl 20 your lane/role wont really matter so play to master your few favorite champs. you seem to have the research part of the game down quite well. also, play each of the free champs every week at least once so you can figure out how to counter them

if you have any questions for me you can ask me in-game Realmouse

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

1. yeah you should get runes, and in the meantime you can try out all the free weekers every week. I'm sure you'll find champions you like who suit your play style.

2. hard to say, I tend to use that as a Friendly honour for the guy on that end (if we had fun in the /allchat, I'll probably honour him.) A good indicator is "glhf" at start of game.

3. don't die, learn from your mistakes, etc etc. Know all the champions and what they do so you don't get caught unawares, know all the interesting little things like tower range and damage. And learn to last hit.

BurstDemon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Since no one mentioned this yet, I believe it's 30 post to become Member, and 100 post to become a Senior Member. Obviously your initial Forum's rank is Junior Member. Eventually you'll be a Senior member. Just don't spam post to become one.

Cloaked Figure

Recruiter

01-29-2013

If you want to kill people who are hiding under their towers at low health, I recommend a champion with a long-range combo like Morgana, or a long-range ult like Lux or Corki.