Riot powercreeped the hell out of their own game

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FalconPawwwwnch

01-28-2013

No seriously, just compare the kits of an older champ with a newer champ, and you'll see how stupidly big the gap is. Just compare the likes of warwick to some of the more modern bruisers. His q takes more mana than his ult at higher ranks. His E is so useless (much rather have an actual gap closer/opener), his ult can be removed by Qss or if warwick gets Cc'd at all. Look at Vi's kit, 6 bonus ad ratios, a gap closer/opener, a hard unstoppable cc with a gap closer, %armor shread, %health damage AND an as steroid on one skill, and a shield that scales with her hp. Vi is not Op by any means at all, but do you see what the problem is here? Everytime a new champ comes out riot adds more and more things in their kit just to keep up with some of the newer champs, and then this snowballs to the future champs and so forth. It's insane. It's why people like gp, nasus, sion, warwick, and the like are completely noncompetitive right now. This has completely shutdown some of the older champs to the point of near uselessness.

also, Once you guys started putting bonus ad ratios in on people, you put them in on EVERYBODY. None of the old champs bar a few exceptions have bonus ad ratios, unless they have been reworked since then.

Edit: If you wanna make another comparison, just look at Lee Sin's kit and compare it to warwick's, who originally was meant to be a melee bruiser/tank. Lee Sin has a total of 4.8 bonus ad ratios. He has 2 dashes, an execute, an aoe slow and AS slow, a hard knockback cc with a chance to knock up the entire enemy team, free lifesteal, free spellvamp, and (before) free armor...

Edit: Okay so people stop saying "you're only using warwick", what about warwick, but sion, tryndamere, gangplank, udyr, master yi, nasus? At least nasus is getting buffs but the others? Then there's fiora, who would've been fine in the older days but newer releases (looking at you leesin) put her to shame. And even gragas, who was designed to be a tank/bruiser can't now.

Edit: Okay so you guys understand, I'm not talking about every old champ, mostly I'm talking more about the melee bruisers than are aimed to deal damage mainly through basic attacks and have abilities to enhance them.

Nasus looking good! Now the others?

MoSBanapple

01-28-2013

Ryze and Nunu are still strong.

Okazaki Yumemi

01-28-2013

Singed.

hes op

01-28-2013

yea but do you really care that much?What, do you HAVE to play those champs?I wouldn't be mad if they removed them (preferably refund their IP tho)

FalconPawwwwnch

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes op View Post
yea but do you really care that much?What, do you HAVE to play those champs?I wouldn't be mad if they removed them (preferably refund their IP tho)
Um, yea I do, and so should the community. It's a huge problem in game balancing. There's no reason to pick a lot of champs now. If riot powercreeps and then compensates the old champs then that's fine, but they don't do that nearly as fast as the rate of champs being released. It's caused a lot of champs to be useless in competitive play, like i said.

gsai

01-28-2013

Implying Vi is competitive in the slightest.

ProtusK

01-28-2013

The problem is that their kits are very basic, it doesn't matter if their damage matches up to newer release champs, because their overall utility and usefulness to a team is always going to be weaker due to their skills/passive not having much innovation and variation in different types of CC or effects.

Oh and not only are many of them 'weaker' they are also boring to play in comparison.

Ragebeard Manric

01-28-2013

And yet some of the oldest champions are still used in tournaments (Singed, Ryze, Lee Sin technically) and banned forever (Alistar, Amumu).

Yes, the design style is obviously different now then it was then (hell, we didn't even have AD ratio's back then), but the relative power of the whole kit is still in the same range.

FalconPawwwwnch

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsai64 View Post
Implying Vi is competitive in the slightest.
I already said I don't think she's op. And everyone knows the most op champs get used competitively. Even moscow 5 admitted at the world finals that they only use "op champs".
Even if you don't wanna look at vi, just look at jayce's kit and compare it to someone like sion or warwick.

FalconPawwwwnch

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragebeard Manric View Post
And yet some of the oldest champions are still used in tournaments (Singed, Ryze) and banned forever (Alistar, Amumu).
Alistar still banned? He's never banned anymore, like maybe 1% of the time. And his jungle is absolute garbage after season 3 changes.