Tresh's Q's Passive...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGiantYordle

01-28-2013

Thresh's Q is a tad annoying, assuming he lands it being as the animation pauses for quite a bit, giving people ample time to move (normally)... the -passive- however..

Mathematically it adds magic damage equal to a crit, a regular crit not an I.E. buffed crit, or rune buffed crit... however. I discovered last game, then ran a bit of math after I hit a Shen for 3/4 of his health by hitting him once in lane (I went top as AD Tresh). He gains armor and AP just by being in lane, and with a 1:1 ratio on his ult I can see the appeal of AP Thresh over AD, however... I crit the Shen, and then the magic damage hit him. Like any decent Shen he had Ninja Tabi (after realizing I was AD) and a Sunfire Cape, however I nearly killed him with one crit, the magic damage from my Q's passive, and then killed him between grabbing him with my chain and my ult. He was a tad irritated... either way not the point.

With an AD built Thresh (with, say, a Maw thrown in for MR, since he only gains armor from souls, meaning you can skip buying armor if you're good at avoiding early ganks), you can crit (say you have an infinity edge), and if you haven't swung in a few seconds you basically crit twice considering the magic damage from your passive (Q). Therefore, like all champions built with a Trinity Force, I.E., etc, you can hit for nearly 4100 damage against a carry... that generally flat out kills them (ask their Ezreal, I hit him once and he quit, it was late game)... now I sold my I.E. because we had no tank, and was building an Abyssal Scepter for some more MR, as I'd gotten more than enough health from my cleaver and T-Force, -had- enough MR mid game with my Wit's End, but not enough to withstand their Morde late game (he got a quadra with my ghost, I figured it was time for some MR)... now I didn't even have time to build my Blood Thirster, despite the fact that AD Thresh actually farms rather well.

Either way, between the regular crit, and the magic damage, I oneshot the other team's Ezreal twice, before he flat out quit. We still lost, by this point out Cait had decided to go tanky over doing damage, and our Amumu was a solid tank with no AP, and we had a Leona... sooo...

Okay, let's end the story with the point...

As AD Thresh, you can easily flat out kill any squishy you come across, that doesn't have -atleast- 4k HP, and that is merely by attacking them once. I think the damage bonus of his Q is a bit much, being as it's literally a double-crit when you attack. When you stack that with the fact that late game, merely from souls, he's sitting on around 200 AP, his ult will kill them if you flash over to them, or drag them in with your chain, assuming they didn't die to your over 4k hit.

Yeesh. O_o

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PerfidiousAlbion

01-28-2013

Until you realize he has the lowest level 18 base AD in the game, bad base AS, low AA range, only the single offensive steroid which requires time in between AAs to actually benefit from AD scaling, no way to properly itemize for both armor and magic pen of which he needs both, and doesn't make good use of three of his abilities with an AD build....

There is also no way you're doing 4100 damage in a single hit. Even assuming 200 souls (something that would never happen) and a crit that would still require you to have ~870AD, which is more than is actually possible in the game even with six fully stacked BTs.

Thresh can probably work well with an on-hit build, but an AD build is something that is unlikely to work against a competent team. It's much too squishy to work with his low range, and it really doesn't synergize with his base stats and only really takes advantage of a small portion of his kit.