What are good non-traditional supports?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fishtumz

01-29-2013

Teemo can be played as a support with his blind

Treza

01-29-2013

chogath

gets tanky for free, good cc, doesnt typically build a huge amount of damage

Robotiny

01-29-2013

No Rammus love? Rammus can make a really good support due to general tankiness and that taunt! Same with Shen, but Shen can harass more.

oRegret

01-29-2013

You should try Kayle. W has little heal but ult can make a huge difference with it's low cooldown. Sheen with give you huge burst with Q E combo.

The Jade Fist

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin the Hurt View Post
Zyra and Lux. The chaaracters you listed do not work in this regard because their builds traditionally need a lot of CS to be competent. That is the secret to supporting. Your kit has to be able to do damage and benefit the team with minimal gold amounts. Vi and Xin just frankly don't work like that
Well Xin can still be an assist to his team even with out being super farmed, he just has to realize he's there more for utility and not dmg or tankiness. He still has ku/kb which can easily punish some one caught out of position, or put some one out of position if he dashes in and ults.

I've done support xin a few times, won lane, got my carry fed, bought wards and an aegies/phage. Won 2/3 games like this, still all 3 won the lane, last one i did quite drunk last week, if I remember right enemy top got fed, and we started loosing team fights despite our carry being very much ahead.

Vi i think would be a little harder to do the same though, she's not super tanky naturally and doesn't have an ult to throw other people away when she does dive some one.

Other non standard supports, i've seen Darius support that some how managed not to ks every kill but still ulted early on purpose, some times bleeds picked up kills that would have other wise gotten away, and in my personal opinion if a DOT kills a fleeing target, that means the carry just got an assist on some one that might have gotten away other wise, so its more gold.

Mostly any body with any kind of cc, or great harass can do it. Just have to realize that latter in the game, that same champion isn't going to be the same champion they would be if they were solo top and farmed 5 times as much, and as such can't behave the same in team fights, due to lack of tankiness and/or damage they needed from items they can't get.

Not saying these off supports are optimal but at the same time, many of them can perform the role just as good as traditional supports if you play to their utility.

stupak

01-29-2013

I have had some success with teemo/ori.

Both are ap oriented, and usually just have the basic gp/10, ap/lvl, and movement speed runes with them. With teemo its about hit and running while keeping your blind ready for when they decide to go after your ad. I play very aggresive with this one, and avoid playing against strong healers such as soraka/sona.

With Ori, its all about lane control and using that ball to check bushes and keeping your e up for when the fights break out. Her ult is a very good game changer, and the speed buff provided by w is invaluable when avoiding ganks. With her I'll play more passive, using the ball to harass as often as possible.

SwitchBlade1

Recruiter

01-29-2013

Karma, Kayle.

MichaII

01-29-2013

when i played support for a while i got tired of the normal champs and went crazey with diffrent toons the best one or shoudl i say best outcome to most amount of fun was support dinger and rengar just had loads of fun playing them.

ding was fun using turrets as wards his stun and missles cant go wrong but is very easy to kill bc ur not rocking alot of ap

rengar totally difrent kind of fun ur basic goal is to push them out of cs as much as u can. dont go to kray kray with him bc ull never have the iteams u need to do a ton of damage but u will do just fin in harassment. late game u fail hard alot but still fun for clean ups or ninja kills

CounterSnipe

01-29-2013

Maokai is an interesting support to run, but only if you're against a poke/sustain lane composition. You max your Saplings and just toss them on the enemy back line, it will usually do a lot of damage. He helps a lot in ganks as well because he is a gank jungler. However, he is terrible at babysitting the carry, similar to leona, so your adc has to be smart enough not to get caught.

jefffroson

01-29-2013

Trundle, and no I'm not trolling.