Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What are good non-traditional supports?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nakawaka

01-28-2013

Just looking for variety.

I've seen Xin Zhao and Vi act as support, but I'm also curious what these characters do if their opponent played safe or their kill lane tactic didn't work as desired. If either way, the opponent farmed a bunch and is more "fed" than them then wouldn't these supports be a downer in a teamfight? I know XZ and Vi have good initiators and some way to provide utility (i.e. XZ's knock-up) but at the end of the day, their kit isn't Lulu's.

Also, is it that bad for a support to transition as a carry (or back-up carry)? It wouldn't have been too different from teams without a support, where both lanes are duos where both partners share some cs (and they ward for each other, like a perfect world ffs). It's just that one character is more prioritized to getting someone's early game over with.

I'm afraid that if I played these as support, I might accidentally take 1 or 2 kills and then blamed for a sin so heinous that it might just throw the game apart when these characters normally benefit from Phage's or BF's swords or something.

ROOFIECOPTER

01-28-2013

Fiddle

YoungGoN4v5

01-28-2013

Zyra and Lux. The chaaracters you listed do not work in this regard because their builds traditionally need a lot of CS to be competent. That is the secret to supporting. Your kit has to be able to do damage and benefit the team with minimal gold amounts. Vi and Xin just frankly don't work like that

PrinceOfUruk

01-28-2013

Xin works well with Caitlyn, knock up into air, she puts trap down, fires q and she should be able to auto them to death.

RockJockey

01-28-2013

Uncommon, but generally accepted supports: Morgana, Mundo, Maokai, Nautlius, Sejuani, Shaco, Sion, and Zilean.

Really uncommon, but Possible supports: Anivia, Annie, Ashe, Cho'gath, Vi, Gangplank, J4, Singed, and Volibear.
-This category suffers from the fact that they are better off in a solo lane (Most champions are) or jungling because they need farm to function late game.
-Tends to be a kill lane usually.

Wonderonous

01-28-2013

AP Nidalee is coming back as a support, although she still isn't extremely common because she has no cc/stun/snare. However she is great at keeping harass up while still healing her carry.

GodKilleR 999

01-28-2013

Leblanc with that snare/silence. She can poke the ennemy to near death and let the adc finish them off the way zilean does.

HawkeyeSnipes

01-28-2013

Lee sin by far!

IdoI

01-28-2013

Jarman IV and Dunkmaster Darius

LitoJ

01-28-2013

Annie is a great support from personal experience.
I usually go Rumble as an AP carry in bot lane as our combined slows/stuns and high burst/constant magic damage easily mesh and compliment each other in each others' areas of weaknesses and always outdo our competition.
We haven't truly lost a match yet.

While in theory and from multiple testing, the combination works great. We mostly win due to the element of surprise on our side and by the fact that most adc/support combos we face are not very good and/or simply do not know how to counter our own combo.
On top of that, not a lot of people seem to know how to fight a Rumble.