Something needs to be done about trolls during champ select.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AznFuFu

01-28-2013

I also posted this in general but as that moves so fast I hoped this section would be viewed more.

I find myself dodging at least 2-3 games a day because of people trolling during champion select. I was in ranked queue today and in 4 queues straight someone went afk had a champ auto picked and then refused to communicate at all with everyone else. In 3 of the queues it was the same summoner each time and I am assuming the fourth was the same guy just on the other team.

Currently there is nothing to prevent someone from joining a queue, either picking a troll pick during champ select, or just afking and getting hard randomed, and forcing someone else to dodge or be stuck with him/her. In a normal queue the 5 minute penalty you have to wait is not terrible but in a ranked game it means 30 minutes you are punished for someone else's actions or else stuck with them in a game for X amount of time and eat the loss.

When I find myself having to dodge roughly 20% of my games because of this, (and I am sure others deal with it too) Riot needs to implement some sort of system to prevent legit players from being locked out because of one person purposely ruining it for others.

Either a way to report a player in champ select for this action, or to be able to disband without penalty is needed because currently there is really no way to prevent this action without being stuck in a game with them and reporting after which is unfair to the people looking to enjoy the game.

Please try and keep this thread constructive with either your own experiences or other possible solutions and hopefully Riot will play attention and do something to prevent this problem from continuing to happen.

Kantala

01-28-2013

I have a tendency not to dodge these games. Call me a sucker for punishment, but I'd rather see these people get what's coming to them at the end of a match rather than letting them go off to ruin someone else's game. Maybe that's just my tribunal side speaking, but quite frankly someone needs to stand in and take it for the team so that others may benefit from the rewards.

In my experience, most of the time these people will play another role so long as it's another one that they can competently play. I usually step forward and ask that person if there is another role that they'd be willing to fill that hasn't been yet. Sure, that sometimes but rarely means I have to jungle or duo top when I'm not very good at it, but it's a LOT BETTER than seeing that person intentionally ruin the experience for those of us who are trying to win and have fun doing so.

As for the afk for hard randomed... One could say that the rest of your team should try and build around the randomed champ... But there's no way to tell if that person will even be there once the game starts. There are several threads floating around here that have these same suggestions or variations of that you may even like. I would suggest searching them out.

If you're getting trolled via harassment, you can submit a support ticket with as much detail and any screenshots under Category -> Games -> Report A Player here:

https://support.leagueoflegends.com/...s_requests/new

KT Faux

01-28-2013

Yeah I have an idea for this that I posted a few days ago. If 4/5 players vote to kick someone during champ select that person should suffer the penalty of dodging.

The current system is poor at best. No one in ranked wants to waste 20-40 minutes losing elo just so they can report some guy who doesn't care at all (and won't face an consequences until they do this several more times).

Additionally the penalty for dodging in ranked is so much worse than in blind pick and you see so many more trolls. In blind pick you get noobs who legitimately don't know that taking Yi bottom when someone already called adc is stupid, but that is excusable because you're playing blind pick and it's not expected that the participants are interested in playing the game seriously. In ranked there are tons of people who do this type of stuff intentionally to ruin the game for the people who actually care about it.

AznFuFu

01-28-2013

I thought about the 4/5 vote kick idea, but I found two major problems with it. First if you have a duo queue going for the purpose of trolling 4/5 isn't going to cut it. The other problem is it can be abused the other way also. If 4 people don't agree with your pick you can unfairly be stuck with a lockout too.

My thought is perhaps make is 3/5 required to kick you, and then make it so the first time you a dumped back in the queue with no penalty, but if it happens a second time in a row then you receive the lockout. The extra steps suck, but it also prevents the system from being abused as easily.

KT Faux

01-28-2013

Yeah that wouldn't work at all against duo's. I also think there should be a limit on how many votes you can cast per day so that they have some real value. If they didn't I would just cast a vote against the weakest player on the team every game. Other people would probably adopt a similar strategy and it would lead to a lot more bans.

AznFuFu

01-28-2013

The community for lol is toxic to itself for the most part, and in a way that mentality of I would just ban the weakest player every game is an argument against implementing a system because if you were to abuse it would you end up no better than the trolls it was trying to prevent.

We Are As One

01-28-2013

This is becoming a serious issue. Often I'll spend 5hrs worth of normal games before I get one single game that isn't composed of serious trolls. I am gonna have to start Q dodging like the OP, I have avoided it as I don't wanna look bad, but frankly I'm gonna have to stop playing league if I don't start dodging because I am tired of wasting my evenings of what should be a fun night of gaming. I really don't wanna be forced to play in a toxic environment, forced in the sense of being punished if I leave. And its insane to always have to mute folks on your team and even the enemy team. This game can be really fun, has amazing champions and artwork, but it also has a lot of trolls and very toxic players, and now that I am level 30 its like 75% of my games involves multiple toxic players. Heck if your lucky you can get 3 out 5 on your team toxic and about the same on the enemy team and it just becomes one big troll festival. The way I see it Riot designed this game perfectly if there wasn't the toxic player problem, but really the game lacks abilities to deal with these problems.

Don't allow people to lock in, in normal games, its soo rare to get a game where folks don't autolock, I mean yesterday we were gonna have a Nami solo top? Oh but then they DC'ed at start of game. Which is the other huge problem, IMO if after some period of time its 4 vs 5 or even 3 vs 5, let me leave w/o punishment. As yeah you have to wait till 20min but usually so many trolls on the team that they won't surrender anyways even if the score is like 10 to 30. Also at champ selection screen, why not have a "next" button so you can just move on. And yeah I hate being constantly sent back to Q because someone leaves but I understand it now and will start doing the same. Tired of teams where they want 3 mid champs and all fight for mid, or 3 bot, or multiple junglers. Or folks who don't talk during champ select and you have no idea what role they are gonna do. I mean often times only 2 of the 5 people will even talk in champ select.

Oh and lag, I had some problems with my internet, so after I realized I stopped playing until my ISP could fix the problem. But it seems folks don't care about making the player base suffer, so they join games with their unplayable connection over and over again. Don't let people Q if they have unstable connections.

Oh also don't put me in Q with users who are on my ignore list, seriously WTF. I finished playing a game that involved a seriously toxic troll (this was last night), who I had muted mid way into the game, I reported him at end of game and made sure he was on my ignore list. I Q'ed for the next game and I was stuck with that fool again. Now that actually makes me angry.

I am starting to doubt that the tribunal works at all, I have recently started taking part in it to evaluate it, but considering the high level of toxic players its clearly not enough, or cases aren't being reviewed or people are just pardoning way too much. Frankly most of these trolls follow such a distinct pattern that I'd like to see the game just auto ban them right in a match even, I noticed one person here on the forums said replace that player with an intermediate AI bot, seems like a good idea to me. I mean the chat during game gets logged, just ban folks that are using the awful language, I mean I don't care if they drop some f-bombs, I mean folks who are using serious hate speak etc, kinda hard to give examples here lol, but pretty sure just about everyone who plays has seen it.

meh I could honestly go on forever, I am still pretty upset about how bad things have gotten. I don't really know where to discuss such things and I kinda doubt anyone from Riot would even read it, but please don't let this amazing game become so toxic. And +1 to the OP

ShadowSek

01-28-2013

I've reached the point that I generally don't play unless I have a full team of my friends. (or close to it) Granted, that doesn't help you in solo queue, but if you find the trolls are starting to get to you, then you should call up some of your buddies and knock out some normals.

We Are As One

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSek View Post
I've reached the point that I generally don't play unless I have a full team of my friends. (or close to it) Granted, that doesn't help you in solo queue, but if you find the trolls are starting to get to you, then you should call up some of your buddies and knock out some normals.
Yeah I do agree this is a good option, I do try to make friends on League but even with 60 or so on my list, having 5 on and wanting to play at a given time seems rare.

Just Q dodged my first game, done waiting the 5min, this seems like the best option to me until they fix this problem. Just one troll in champion select, everyone wanted to report him right then, but not much you can do at that moment but leave /:

Q dodging actually seems like a good thing, I mean I'll do w/e it takes to have a fun match. I encourage folks to dodge if someone is clearly trolling, sure you have to wait a bit, but better than losing 20 to 70+ min in a game.

AznFuFu

01-28-2013

The penalties increase the more frequently you have to dodge. For normals they start at 5 minutes and then jump to 15. Not sure how much higher than that they go or what the cooldown is to reset it to 5 minutes. I've dodged played a game then dodged again and had a 15 minutes wait.

Its a larger concerned with solo/duo queue ranked where its starts at a 30 minute penalty. If i have maybe 60-90 minutes to play a game and because of a troll I end up having to dodge, there goes my play time for the night, because I wouldnt want to start a game that I potentially can't finish.