Which tank to play?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ghostvoider Rick

01-27-2013

I play as an ap tank support, jungler, and solotop, so I have narrowed down the champions to malphite, nautilus, and skarner, so which one offers more?

Crimson5pheonix

01-27-2013

Malphite's technically not a tank, though it's hard to tell. He even has an ability that scales off armor. I don't know why he doesn't have the tank tab :\ Anyway, he's frequently banned because his AoE AS slow and his AoE knockup ultdash.

Skarner is another "technically not a tank but who cares" champ. He works very well in the jungle and his ganks and initiates with his ult are great, but a lack of a real gapcloser hurts him in the current meta.

Nautilus is my personal favorite tank. He is a tank, with the tab and everything, that piles more CC on than any other champ. Period. He is the measuring stick that other CC tanks compare themselves to. He has a ranged AoE knockup/stun, a massive AoE slow, and his AAs root. His auto attack is a hard CC. He gets damage and AA range for no good reason. He gets a pull that can pull himself to terrain. As someone else put it, a lot of teams have less CC than Nautilus.

MrSnitches

01-27-2013

Thresh.

workthecorners

01-27-2013

maokai or chogath naut is good too....skarner is a little slower in the jungle with the new jungle (i used to main him) and his ulti late game although good is sometimes unreliable

i always jungle malph if hes not banned and you can build ap tank like singed and just watch the other team QQ

Vejoviis

01-28-2013

Skarner has been left in a bad place, first his shield and ultimate got nerfed, then S3 itemization hurt him as well. He isn't the same Rock Lobster he used to be, he has rubber bands on his claws now. (For more info see my thread:http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...0#post31771850)

Malphite is stronger midgame and Nautilus is stronger if he can get a lot of items, however with how the meta is atm the jungler still deffer a lot of farm, so it is hard to get all the items you need to be effective (tanky + cdr) with Nautilus, whereas Malphite has high base stats and more utility with his attack speed slow. Malphite is stronger with 1-2 items, they are about equal with 3, and then Nautilus becomes stronger (read: cc train). I think if Nautilus wasn't so weak - in terms of speed, resilience, and vulnerability to invades/ dueling - before lvl 5 that he would be used/ banned in most games on the competitive level.

I haven't seen much Nautilus top (I have played it a tiny bit) so I can't really comment with much of an authority, but here is my two cents. Topnaut can be played two ways, cheese your opponent with some sort of pen build that doesn't scale as well into large teamfights but takes advantage of Naut's high base damages, or build full tank and take tp and try to wave clear (extremely fast with Naut) and roam a lot during laning phase.
Personally I would prefer to go full tank with maaaaybeee a Liandry's Torment. So something like this Mogs/Sunfire/Merc Treads/ Randuins/ Bulwark/ Torment (Sunfire procs Torment?) and try to play it somewhere in between an average laner and heavy roam a la ap Sion.
(Edit: Not that I am advocating top Nautilus, because I haven't experimented with it at all s3)

Support Nautilus is really squishy unless you get kills in lane and can afford some good items before teamfighting. The base damage on his E is enormous if you get all of the hits, I max this first, then Q if we are ahead or W if we are behind. Personally I run a 34 armor rune page with 24 scaling mr and 1/28/1 masteries to be significantly stronger in lane than the opposing support and to have stats as well if we don't get kills in lane. It's kind of cheese. (Edit: I don't think this setup is, objectively speaking, good - hard to tell. I think Leona is better though, since she gets a really strong steroid and doesn't need stats/items to be tanky)

Ghostvoider Rick

02-03-2013

so iam am assuming that i should play leona, or play nautilus

Vashos

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvoider Rick View Post
so iam am assuming that i should play leona, or play nautilus
Depends. Leona lanes better than Naut in my opinion, both for her ability to jump *through* units (doesn't have to line of sight like Naut) and her passive damage boost to allied attacks. Naut on the other hand, works well in the jungle.

jmlinden7

02-03-2013

A tank is someone that uses cc to draw focus onto themselves, Leona and Nautilus are perfect examples of this, Blitzcrank, Shen. Skarner is technically a bruiser, he wants to deal a lot of sustained damage over time with Q and autos

AWildRaticate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

Naut is, in my opinion, the most versatile and dangerous tank in the game. His jungle is excellent, his support is squishy, but all the CC makes him just a tiny bit less viable than Leona for that position, and he's a great solo top. I used to main him top, but in S3 his jungle is way better than S2, so I mainly keep him there now. With Ignite and Exhaust you'll have a whopping FIVE forms of CC as well as 3 DoTs when you get your Sunfire cape. With his high base damage you can rush Sunfire in top lane then just blow people up midgame. Leona is good, but has only one role she can play. Naut can do anything except for ADC, really, so he's one of the best bangs for the buck in the game.

Ghostvoider Rick

02-04-2013

I might be interested in playing nautilus, but he seems to be quite slow for me. Is there any other champion that i should consider. I would like to play someone ad also, but not sure who, as ling as there are tanky, supportive, versatile, and not so mana hungry because i like to spam a lot