Rix, The Demented Entomologist

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrokenSteele

Member

01-27-2013

Rix is a champion I thought up when thinking of unique mechanics for new champions. This champion is meant to be a jungler, support, mage, ranged type depending on how you build him and is dependent on AP alone. This champion is just meant to be a concept which is why only abilities and lore are present in this post. I won't attempt to give him starting stats simply because I don't want to make an utter fool of myself in this case. Enjoy.

Abilities

- Passive - Human Hive
- Rix gains 10/15/20 insects per second to a max of 500/750/1000 insects. Every 10 seconds you're out of combat these insects passively create a shield which blocks half of the amount of insects you currently have. When leveling your ultimate for the first time you can change his swarm's behavior allowing your shield to take 25% more damage (Protective) or exchange your shield for a damage dealing aura of insects (Insatiable). If Insatiable is chosen then Pheromones debuff is refreshed and activated for enemies in your area of effect.


- Q - Frenzy
- Active - Rix sends his insects on a rampage in a straight line dealing damage and swarm in an area causing damage over time for 3 seconds. Reactivating this ability will make them swarm in a single area sooner. If this ability is reactivated again or after they reach their full length you can redirect the swarm to a second area. If Frenzy kills an enemy minion, Rix is refunded 10/20/30 insects. Refund triples with champion kill.

- Cost: X number of Insects
- Cooldown: 6 seconds
- Slow: 20/25/30/35/40%
- Range: Not Known Yet
-AoE: Not Known Yet


- W - Protect the Hive
- Active - Sends a swarm of insects to a Champion or chosen location. If Ally or champion dies before the duration is over the insects will target any enemies afflicted with Pheromones before going back to Rix and healing for the damage dealt.
-Ally Cast: Swarm creates a damaging aura and increases armor and magic resist for Ally for 8 seconds. If cast on self it increases the amount of damage Rix's swarm can take or deal by 5% for 6 seconds.
-Enemy Cast Swarm damages the enemy and reduces their armor and magic resist for 6 seconds. Also reveals them in Fog or War for 8 seconds.
-Location Cast Swarm awaits stealthed on location for 10 seconds until an Ally or Enemy passes through them.

- Cost: X number of Insects
- Cooldown: 12 seconds
- Range: Not Known yet


- E – Swarm Wall
- Active -Rix's insects create a wall for 5 seconds which damages and slows enemies for 4 seconds. Enemies who walk through the wall will gain a stack of Pheromones, destroy that part of the wall, and become visible in the fog of war for the duration of the slow. Swarm Wall can stack with Rix's Protect the Hive ability.

- Cost: 20% of remaining insects
- Cooldown: 10 seconds
- Range: Not Known yet


- R – Anger of the Queen/ Benevolence of the Queen
-Passive- All abilities apply Pheromones to enemies which cause Rix’s insects to sting and poison his enemies with his next ability cast(AP ratio or Flat amount not decided).
- Active– Anger of the Queen Calls out the majority of the swarm you have available and damages everything in a massive area of effect for 5 seconds. If you activate the ability again within 5 seconds you can release the queen toward a location making the swarm follow her until she dies or latches onto an enemy champion. If she latches onto an enemy champion the swarm will stick to that champion for another 2 seconds after which the queen will explode and deal additional damage. Otherwise the swarm will persist around you or the queen for the duration of the ability.
- Active– Benevolence of the Queen
-Active – Calls out the majority of the swarm Rix has available creating a massive aura that gives allies half of your passive buff at Max for 5 seconds. Aura heals Rix for a percentage of all damage done within the area of effect. After 5 seconds the swarm returns to Rix and allows him to cast one of his abilities for free.

- Cost: 80% of remaining insects
- Cooldown: 120 seconds
- Range: Not Known yet



Lore
Although I don't have something solid for lore I do have an idea of what I want and how I came up with Rix as a character.

Rix was an Entomologist working in Piltover and moved to Zaun due to Piltover's restricitve policies. Although his research continued in Zaun he found studying the mutations in the buglife to be boring due to the fact most never survived past the first stages of mutation. So he began to travel through Runeterra in an attempt to discover a new species, which he found in the dying Kumungu Jungle that tried to eat through his suit. Using this creature he found the hives in which they lived and watched them from a distance. The creature was amazing to him but he found that their species was slowly dying. After capturing and dissecting one of the older members of the swarm he found traces of nectar from a plant that was so unique in nature he couldn't replicate it perfectly. So instead he created a substitute in which he could feed the swarm and keep them alive until he could find this plant. Their queen in turn recognized his help and allowed him closer to their hives. With this new privilege he created an enlarged backpack copy of their hive and a synthesizer/dispenser for the food which attached to his glove so he could move the swarm with him as he hunted down the source of food which had kept them alive for so long. The source which he traced down the Institute of War in the living plant known as Zyra.


Personal notes:
I wanted to create a champ which relied on its source of power in 2 separate areas. In Rix’s case I wanted it like this so players would have to decide if keeping your insects up to protect you or sending them away to attack was more beneficial. Also I couldn’t think of better powers that would suit a jungler type who would need to gank so I came up with abilities that would allow him to keep enemies within his ally’s reach while still being able to do damage.

Didn’t include AP ratios because I don’t really have an idea on how to balance a champ but I do think this player would be awesome to play by everyone.

I was thinking of switching the W with E and vice versa.

I created Pheromones debuff in order to give the AP Carry Rix more damage that he may be lacking in late game if people decide to play him that way. Tank/support Rix uses Pheromones in order to poke champs with his poison. So scaling Flat amount may end up being a better fit on Rix.


Any comments are welcome just be civil about it.

Also just for the record I created this character simply for the idea of using his shield as a source of power. If just THAT mechanic could make it into the game as a new champion I would be SOO happy :D.

EDITS:

1/29 Changed Swarm Wall and Frenzy to Aevus Clumpus's suggestions.
1/31 Edited changes made to formatting and added the EDITS section to the bottom of this post.
1/31 Changed Protect the Hive's Enemy cast to reduce Armor and Magic resist rather than a slow and reveal in fog of war in order to avoid redundancy with his Swarm wall


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aevus Clumpus

Junior Member

01-27-2013

I like the idea a lot. You introduce a new form of mana/energy/etc, and have a solid theme with the bugs. Concept wise, instead of a person, I would like to see this as a Queen Character (queen bee, queen ant, etc.) and have the insects you use be drones. I think that fits more thematically. This is just my opinion however.
Concerning Q: What exactly is X? Is there a cap on the amount of insects sent to the target ares or is it some number, or can you toggle it so that you shoot X when toggled-on and can stop the toggle at any time? You should have two damage amounts on this, the first being the skillshot itself and the second being a DoT on enemies standing in the swarm. After the insects go to target location, they remain there until you move them or call them back by recactivating Q. This can be used to check bushes like Orianna's ball.
Concerning W: Assuming you like the idea on the above Q, this should be turned into a Ally buff/Enemy debuff. It can be cast directly onto a champion or you can activate it while your Q is on the field and it will target a champion. You could make it heal allies and damage enemies over time for some length of time.
Concerning E: I like the wall idea. When enemies walk through it, the potion of the insects that were walked through should instantly swarm them dealing damage like W, while the portion not walked through should remain to potentially catch other champs.
Concerning R: I think the aura idea is ok and the passive works nicely.

That is all I can think of at the moment. Nice design!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrokenSteele

Member

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aevus Clumpus View Post
I like the idea a lot. You introduce a new form of mana/energy/etc, and have a solid theme with the bugs. Concept wise, instead of a person, I would like to see this as a Queen Character (queen bee, queen ant, etc.) and have the insects you use be drones. I think that fits more thematically. This is just my opinion however.
Concerning Q: What exactly is X? Is there a cap on the amount of insects sent to the target ares or is it some number, or can you toggle it so that you shoot X when toggled-on and can stop the toggle at any time? You should have two damage amounts on this, the first being the skillshot itself and the second being a DoT on enemies standing in the swarm. After the insects go to target location, they remain there until you move them or call them back by recactivating Q. This can be used to check bushes like Orianna's ball.
Concerning W: Assuming you like the idea on the above Q, this should be turned into a Ally buff/Enemy debuff. It can be cast directly onto a champion or you can activate it while your Q is on the field and it will target a champion. You could make it heal allies and damage enemies over time for some length of time.
Concerning E: I like the wall idea. When enemies walk through it, the potion of the insects that were walked through should instantly swarm them dealing damage like W, while the portion not walked through should remain to potentially catch other champs.
Concerning R: I think the aura idea is ok and the passive works nicely.

That is all I can think of at the moment. Nice design!
Thanks for the compliment! Now to go through your comments on the abilities.

As for the theme I would honestly be happy with anything as long as I got to see this passive mechanic in action on a champion one day.

Q: The X cost is the amount of insects you need to use in order to activate this specific ability. As I said in my statements above the idea for this champ is balance between when you should attack and when you should defend. Also I LOVE the idea of making the insect swarm controllable but I'm afraid of it being too OP.

W: I intended this ability to be like Lulu's Help Pix! ability where it would be a reliable single target spell cast unlike your Q which could support AND do damage when necessary. Adding the feature like what you mentioned above would make his skills start to look alike and that's something I'd like to avoid for this character. I do like the idea of healing your ally using this ability though

E: This I can TOTALLY be on board with this swarm net idea. I was worried the ability above would be more like Karthus's wall more then anything but with idea that parts of the wall break away and follow is genius! It's actually like gnats in real life when you walk through them and they seem to follow you lol.

R: Im glad this is the one ability you agreed with cause I put a lot of thought into how it would work lol.

When I have time i'll make the proper changes to abilities and credit you


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrokenSteele

Member

01-28-2013

bump

Also if anyone wants to give me help as to what his base stats may look like feel free to pitch in


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrokenSteele

Member

01-29-2013

shameless bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrokenSteele

Member

01-31-2013

bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrokenSteele

Member

02-01-2013

bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrokenSteele

Member

02-04-2013

I believe I completely messed up on how I went about designing this character. When I have a lore I'll come back with a version 2 and hopefully some Concept art to boot with new abilities. Although I fully intend to keep his Passive and new energy source.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hug The Kitty

Member

02-05-2013

I really like this idea. Something about bug characters seems awesome in League. And I'll agree with Aevus about what the character could look like. Unless you're actually going with some kind of scientist-looking dude, then ignore this part, because it'd be cool to see a giant floating Queen Bee/skittering Queen Ant out on the Fields.

As for the Passive's effects, I'm curious. It seems like you could literally toggle his passive's effects. Or is it something like a Toggle R ability that changes the state of the Passive? Insatiable and Protective are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but I think I missed out how they switch.

As for the concept again: It's great! Imagine if you could make something like Jack's Swarm from Bioshock, but even more hardcore! *Squee!* Awesome!

Also: Bump!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrokenSteele

Member

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hug The Kitty View Post
I really like this idea. Something about bug characters seems awesome in League. And I'll agree with Aevus about what the character could look like. Unless you're actually going with some kind of scientist-looking dude, then ignore this part, because it'd be cool to see a giant floating Queen Bee/skittering Queen Ant out on the Fields.

As for the Passive's effects, I'm curious. It seems like you could literally toggle his passive's effects. Or is it something like a Toggle R ability that changes the state of the Passive? Insatiable and Protective are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but I think I missed out how they switch.

As for the concept again: It's great! Imagine if you could make something like Jack's Swarm from Bioshock, but even more hardcore! *Squee!* Awesome!

Also: Bump!

The Passive (before Rix came into being) was meant to be evolutionary at level 6 and then that passive would grow in strength as he leveled in that particular direction. So since he levels and earns more insects to use per level he'll earn a passive that's slightly stronger until level 18 where he can be either a super off-tank or a powerful DoT mage.

Quote:
Every 10 seconds you're out of combat these insects passively create a shield which blocks half of the amount of insects you currently have.
This was meant to be like Malphite's shield passive with more complexity. Every 10 seconds the passive resets. So whatever the amount of bugs you have after 10 seconds out of combat affects your shield or damaging aura depending on what you decided to go with.


12