Alienware questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aheadatime

01-27-2013

Im considering buying an alienware laptop as a gaming/recording laptop, but ive read online that they have overheating issues. Is this true? Had my eye on the m17x but don't want to invest that much money into a computer that has such a blatant flaw. From what i hear, the vents are placed on the bottom side of the laptop, and since the computer runs hard, overheating isn't rare.

ComanderMolander

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2013

don't alienware is ****

looks around on newegg for a pc

Prófessor Oak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2013

Aleinware costs to much look into other places

Gaxxe

01-27-2013

No, just no. They rip you off so hard, just build your own pc. I'd recommend a desktop.

Zerocaliber

01-27-2013

Do you really even need a laptop? Because honestly, that's a huge amount of investment for a somewhat marginal benefit and it will still be so much more inferior to a desktop at half the price.

Aheadatime

01-27-2013

well i quite literally need a laptop. i take it with me to recording sessions, it has all of my studio software, i take it with me for school/studying, bring it upstairs for my workouts, and basically just am very used to the whole mobility benefit.

Zerocaliber

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aheadatime View Post
well i quite literally need a laptop. i take it with me to recording sessions, it has all of my studio software, i take it with me for school/studying, bring it upstairs for my workouts, and basically just am very used to the whole mobility benefit.
If you game in only one place, then you are still probably better off buying (building your own) a desktop and getting a cheaper laptop for simple tasks since you could get both for the same price of an alienware. While your laptop might only run League at minimum settings, you would still be able to run it and at the same time have a kickass computer that would double the performance of that alienware.

My desktop is about 1400$ worth of hardware, while my laptop is only about 300$ (bought it for 500$ a couple years ago). It still manages to play league on minimum and I can still do simple college studying/homework on it when I need to. And when I want to play my hardcore games, I just come back home on my desktop.

----------------------------------------------

If you really want to be a tech enthusiast, you could get a laptop with a thunderbolt port, buy a PCI Express to Thunderbolt chip and hook yourself up with an external GPU that you could take anywhere. In that case, get a laptop with a good processor, but onboard graphics chip and then just hook up your eGPU when you want to really play games. Would still completely trash the alienware in performance for several hundred dollars cheaper.