Seems to be a miscommunication...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AFK in lol ftw

01-29-2013

I'm wondering... why do people always ask for their team to be reported when losing or a poor start? It seems like a growing trend that if their team is playing poorly, reporting them would do something. Did I miss the memo somewhere from Riot or from a LoL tip that you can report people YOU think is playing poorly?

Edit: I'm sorry if it wasn't clear. This is more of a discussion on player activity based on Tribunal reports as well as from your experience in regards to other players asking for their own team to be reported despite all they did was play poorly.

Shiister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Has nothing to do with Riot.

People who do that assume that the player doing poorly is intentionally feeding and will ask to have them reported.

MFKrazed

01-29-2013

You can report for unskilled, which has an effect in your matchmaking with that individual in the future, but no, player skill in itself is not at all punishable.

Exploding Barrel

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKrazed View Post
You can report for unskilled, which has an effect in your matchmaking with that individual in the future
Nah, the only effect of that report is Riot collects data from it, according to Lyte a few weeks ago. I don't know why this is such a persistent myth.

AFK in lol ftw

01-29-2013

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear. This is more of a discussion on player activity.

AFK in lol ftw

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Barrel View Post
Nah, the only effect of that report is Riot collects data from it, according to Lyte a few weeks ago. I don't know why this is such a persistent myth.
I was wondering about that. I could not find proof early on about the "Unskilled" report. Could you link the Lyte comment about "Unskilled" as well? I always thought it was basically a giant stressball that really does nothing... just there to think it does something. I guess it didn't pan out well since people generally just report them for "intentional feeding" instead.

Akado Bayushi

01-29-2013

My guess is that the reason is psychological. When you're in a game, and a teammate is doing badly, some people flip out and get mad at that person for doing badly. "Reporting" is, in a sense, justification that this teammate did something wrong. If someone else reports that teammate, then that third person confirmed that the original rager is correct to get mad at the teammate.

I'm guessing it boils down to "Everyone wants to feel like they're correct in their actions."

AFK in lol ftw

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akado Bayushi View Post
My guess is that the reason is psychological. When you're in a game, and a teammate is doing badly, some people flip out and get mad at that person for doing badly. "Reporting" is, in a sense, justification that this teammate did something wrong. If someone else reports that teammate, then that third person confirmed that the original rager is correct to get mad at the teammate.

I'm guessing it boils down to "Everyone wants to feel like they're correct in their actions."
But what I want to know is... when the team is doing poorly, why would they resort to demanding the team gets reported? Where do you think the idea that you can report for playing poorly would come from?

Akado Bayushi

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK in lol ftw View Post
But what I want to know is... when the team is doing poorly, why would they resort to demanding the team gets reported? Where do you think the idea that you can report for playing poorly would come from?
Reporting Tool is 1) accessible, 2) used to report teammates who you did not appreciate having as teammates, and 3) can lead to punishment for the reported people.

It's convenient, arguably effective, and people feel justified in asking for "bad teammates" to be punished, even if the teammate's only offense is having a bad game.

*Edit* I don't condone asking others to report someone, even if I've done it a couple times. That was poor judgement on my part. False reporting isn't effective in getting the other person banned, it's only been shown to be effective in the false reporter getting banned by a Riot audit.

AFK in lol ftw

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akado Bayushi View Post
Reporting Tool is 1) accessible, 2) used to report teammates who you did not appreciate having as teammates, and 3) can lead to punishment for the reported people.

It's convenient, arguably effective, and people feel justified in asking for "bad teammates" to be punished, even if the teammate's only offense is having a bad game.

*Edit* I don't condone asking others to report someone, even if I've done it a couple times. That was poor judgement on my part. False reporting isn't effective in getting the other person banned, it's only been shown to be effective in the false reporter getting banned by a Riot audit.

In other words, it's widely known by many that they can get away with giving out false reports to people playing poorly in an attempt to get them banned by Tribunal for the wrong reasons. This seems to be the case when it comes to reporting people for "intentional feeding" when it really wasn't intentional at all.