Blue vs. Purple map imbalance

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Geryth

01-27-2013

So I've noticed this actually can make a big difference. Maybe when I have time later I'll create some screenshots but I'll try my best to explain it right now, just so people are aware.

The imbalance lies in what's visible in from the brush in the center of the map. Imagine you're looking at the health relic. Let's shift slightly right to the purple side brush. If you stood in that brush as far over to the right as possible (towards the purple side altar), you can position yourself in the brush so that you can see almost all the way to the top lane.

Now let's shift back to the health relic, the slightly left to the blue side brush. If you stood in that brush as far over to the left as possible (towards the blue side altar), and position yourself for maximum visibility to the top lane, your vision gets cut off only half way there.

This gives the purple side a much better defensive position at the very start of the game, because they have full vision in the brush from any angle of attack an aggressive blue team could be coming from, and everyone can do it safely hidden in the brush.

If the blue team is in their brush and holding a defensive position, if they all want to be hidden in the brush, they sacrifice a large portion of vision from the top lane, and it's very popular for teams to rush the opposing side's brush from the top lane, they don't have time to react until the purple team is practically in the brush themselves.

It's just something that's been bothering me.

Edit: Adding screenshots:

Blue side brush vision:
Attachment 601173

Purple side brush vision
Attachment 601171

Edit: the links to the attachments are broken if you click on the pictures. Here are the direct links:

Blue side brush:
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...hmentid=601173

Purple side brush:
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...hmentid=601171

Demacry

01-27-2013

Im 90% positive you can get more on the blue side than the screen shot shows. If you move ever so slightly down and to the left you should get more vision while still being covered by the bush. Ill try to get some screen shots in a sec.

Edit: Screenshots: After a ton of tedious spamming of right click and the "s" key I think I've found all the different angles.

Attachment 601413

Attachment 601414

Screenshots 1 and 2 are showing that by actually being a little bit more north you actually get more vision (of the altar pad) from the bush (didnt try to replicate it on the other side, dont know if the imbalance affects this too)

Attachment 601416

Attachment 601415

Shots 3 and 4 show another example of purple side getting a ton of vision up from bush and while standing on the blue side parallel I actually got less vision and no bush coverage.

A very nice catch op, hope that riot sees this.

peonicscrub

01-28-2013

i never noticed a difference tbh o.O

but then again i play a TON of teemo and i wait outside the brush to scout for the top gank

Demacry

02-01-2013

Would very much love a red to just mention that theyve taken note.

Yappy Type Dog

02-01-2013

Sold me. This is important. I know that there is always going to be a slight difference between playing on the blue or purple team due purely to the perspective view of play, but one thing I love about TT is that the bases are separated horizontally instead of diagonally like on SR, which leads to far less bias based on who's on top and who's on bottom.

This seems like a legit problem with game balance and it should be dealt with. Thanks for bringing this to my (and eventually I hope a red's) attention.

PurpleURP

02-01-2013

why hasn't this gotten a red post? This is a real inequity with an easy fix.

AndersMMO

02-04-2013

bump;

this sort of thing is why the map is still in beta and +1 to the OP for not only noticing it but trying to bring it to the attention of reds.

Calzoner

02-05-2013

Have you noticed that starting on the purple gives you much less visibility towards your opponent below you, seeing as the whole HUD is in the way of seeing the complete screen. This is all 5v5 of course. I specifically notice going bottom lane right next to the turret i cannot see the bush right below me but if I am on blue i can sit on the end of the bush and see the tower. I do not see any difference in 3v3 like i read above since both sides have the same view just opposite sides.

When I first started playing LoL i wondered if they had a feature to reverse your view so you could choose which corner you view from, but alas.. none

Geryth

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzoner View Post
Have you noticed that starting on the purple gives you much less visibility towards your opponent below you, seeing as the whole HUD is in the way of seeing the complete screen. This is all 5v5 of course. I specifically notice going bottom lane right next to the turret i cannot see the bush right below me but if I am on blue i can sit on the end of the bush and see the tower. I do not see any difference in 3v3 like i read above since both sides have the same view just opposite sides.

When I first started playing LoL i wondered if they had a feature to reverse your view so you could choose which corner you view from, but alas.. none
That's been an issue and talked about since LoL went live. Blue side even has a better win %, and that's likely the cause. But in 3v3, the sides are SUPPOSED to be equal because the orientation is horizontal, not diagonal. But, as clearly indicated in my screenshots, the purple side has a clear advantage of view from the middle brush, you can tell just by looking at the terrain how slanted the blue side is versus how straight the purple side is up to the top lane.

Sizmic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

bump Op's post needs a red to look at it so we know they have seen it.