Jayce builds?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nishaven90

Senior Member

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinsoo View Post
It's really high burst. W - 3 attacks - SotD - 3 attacks - W - 3 attacks hits super hard. You need to have uninhibited attack time though.
Gotta love how I've been saying Infinity Edge is good on Jayce for months yet get downvoted while a single post from you gets many upvotes.

I do agree with you that Infinity Edge and other crit items are good on Jayce though, dat W.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByWaffle View Post
It is my belief that Triforce is the superior item for Jayce. It synergizes far too well with Jayce to give up.
Well, you're sort of paying a bit extra for things like mana, AP, Spellblade and cutting out the CDR and Armorpen from Brutalizer--

So you can lose a lot of earlygame presence, which is when the great snowball tends to start.

It's one reason Wickd likes his Cleaver Irelia now, too.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathByWaffle

Senior Member

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Well, you're sort of paying a bit extra for things like mana, AP, Spellblade and cutting out the CDR and Armorpen fro Brutalizer--

So you can lose a lot of earlygame presence, which is when the great snowball tends to start.

It's one reason Wickd likes his Cleaver Irelia now, too.
Mana is useful for Jayce. It lets me use spells more. It's one of the big reason why manamune jayce is a thing. However, instead of the unnecessary 1000 bonus mana, I only need the 250 sheen gives me.

Admittedly AP isn't that great on Jayce, but he does have two AP ratios (lightning field and hammer form's first AA)

Spellblade isn't a wasted stat at all. It's strong and helps with that burst.

And you're wrong. Triforce doesn't give up early game presence. It has the MOST early game presence. Slow, health, mana, AS, MS, crit, all these different things that are really strong with Jayce helps you snowball very well.

CDR isn't that important so long as you accurately land your skillshot. Too high of a CDR isn't that good because you won't have the mana to back it up.

Armor pen isn't important for Jayce early on either thanks to his free resistance shred on his cannon form (25% armor and mr shred at max lvl R). And yes, I do level R when I can. It's too good to pass up.

Irelia=/=Jayce. Besides, last time I saw Wickd play in that s2 tournament, I was severely disappointed in his performance. Ended up just not even watching all the way because of how poorly he was doing with Jayce.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByWaffle View Post
Just checked. He played 39 matches as Jayce, so it's a fair amount.
What do you run for your masteries? 9/21? 21/9? Is taking both the penetration masteries worth it?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathByWaffle

Senior Member

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph289 View Post
What do you run for your masteries? 9/21? 21/9? Is taking both the penetration masteries worth it?
I posted that info on page 3, underneath Guinsoo's post.

I run 21/0/9 though. I don't put points into defensive mastery because I'm pretty good at avoiding harass from the enemy so the mana and mana regen from utility is just more useful for me than the measly defensive stats 9 points in defense will give me.

I don't take both penetration masteries in offense. I only take the armor pen. 8% magic pen isn't enough to justify 4 points into pointless AP per level masteries. Besides, at like 50 MR, 8% is only 4 MR penetrated. At 200 it's only 16. It's hardly noticeable honestly.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sky Surge I

Senior Member

01-27-2013

Man, jayce can be built so many ways its confusing


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathByWaffle

Senior Member

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Surge I View Post
Man, jayce can be built so many ways its confusing
It's one of the reasons why I love him so much. In S2 I had 3 different builds for him. ADC Jayce, in case our ADC got crushed so hard that he won't be capable of carrying, Bruiser Jayce, for a mix of tankiness and damage, and Tank Jayce, for pretty much straight up tanking.

The common point between all three builds, however, was that I always got Triforce first in any of the builds. Getting that first let me see what the situation of the game required me to build and then do it, instead of settling on a single build from the very start.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByWaffle View Post
Mana is useful for Jayce. It lets me use spells more. It's the big reason why manamune jayce is a build. However, instead of the unnecessary 1000 bonus mana, I only need the 250 sheen gives me.

Admittedly AP isn't that great on Jayce, but he does have two AP ratios (lightning field and hammer form's first AA)

Spellblade isn't a wasted stat at all. It's strong and helps with that burst.

And you're wrong. Triforce doesn't give up early game presence. It has the MOST early game presence. Slow, health, mana, AS, MS, crit, all these different things that are really strong with Jayce helps you snowball very well.

CDR isn't that important so long as you accurately land your skillshot. Too high of a CDR isn't that good because you won't have the mana to back it up.

Armor pen isn't important for Jayce early on either thanks to his free resistance shred on his cannon form (25% armor and mr shred at max lvl R). And yes, I do level R when I can. It's too good to pass up.

Irelia=/=Jayce. Besides, last time I saw Wickd play in that s2 tournament, I was severely disappointed in his performance. Ended up just not even watching all the way because of how poorly he was doing with him.
The current Black Cleaver didn't exist in Season 2, so Wickd didn't play Black Cleaver Irelia then.

But I mean think about your lane presence, you rush Phage, right?

You're paying a premium for a %chance slow when Jayce already has a slow that combos into a knockback.

You're paying for health, which is good, but not something Jayce desperately needs early.

And then with Sheen, you shouldn't be running low on mana with Jayce due to Hammer W passive. (Especially if you level it.)

That's one reason to skip ult for W, others of course being the sustained damage and Waveclear->Roam.

Spellblade? Yes, it's good, it does something, but it's not like Jayce can trigger it too often, not like Corki or others.

That's not to say Triforce is bad at all, in Season 2 rushing Triforce was probably even better-- but now you have Black Cleaver.

Everything it gives just scales your damage and survivability, while destroying your main counter, Armor. (All for a lot less gold.)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zephrux

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
The current Black Cleaver didn't exist in Season 2, so Wickd didn't play Black Cleaver Irelia then.

But I mean think about your lane presence, you rush Phage, right?

You're paying a premium for a %chance slow when Jayce already has a slow that combos into a knockback.

You're paying for health, which is good, but not something Jayce desperately needs early.

And then with Sheen, you shouldn't be running low on mana with Jayce due to Hammer W passive. (Especially if you level it.)

That's one reason to skip ult for W, others of course being the sustained damage and Waveclear->Roam.

Spellblade? Yes, it's good, it does something, but it's not like Jayce can trigger it too often, not like Corki or others.

That's not to say Triforce is bad at all, in Season 2 rushing Triforce was probably even better-- but now you have Black Cleaver.

Everything it gives just scales your damage and survivability, while destroying your main counter, Armor. (All for a lot less gold.)
The thing is, Jayce's hammer W passive is only activated if you can actually land melee auto attacks on creeps without taking punishment from the enemy laner
J
ayce has really strong potential with spellblade, even stronger than corki imo because he has 8 abilities that can proc it, while corki only has 4, even if they are on a larger cool down.
IMO rushing cleaver during laning phase isn't good because its percent armour, and most champs wont have above around 80 or so armour top, unless its a malphite or chogath who is stacking armour.

Phage is good because while poking at your opponent in ranged form, you can land like two more auto attacks off if you get a proc and then possibily comboing it into a range QE into a hammer QE then backing off.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathByWaffle

Senior Member

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
The current Black Cleaver didn't exist in Season 2, so Wickd didn't play Black Cleaver Irelia then.

But I mean think about your lane presence, you rush Phage, right?

You're paying a premium for a %chance slow when Jayce already has a slow that combos into a knockback.

You're paying for health, which is good, but not something Jayce desperately needs early.

And then with Sheen, you shouldn't be running low on mana with Jayce due to Hammer W passive. (Especially if you level it.)

That's one reason to skip ult for W, others of course being the sustained damage and Waveclear->Roam.

Spellblade? Yes, it's good, it does something, but it's not like Jayce can trigger it too often, not like Corki or others.

That's not to say Triforce is bad at all, in Season 2 rushing Triforce was probably even better-- but now you have Black Cleaver.

Everything it gives just scales your damage and survivability, while destroying your main counter, Armor. (All for a lot less gold.)
Fair enough. Still doesn't excuse the fact that his Jayce performed exceedingly poorly.

Phage slow>To The Skies! slow in many cases because of the fact that To The Skies! puts you in range for counter attacks and that it can be dodged (flashing/blinking mid animation of the spell will cause it to do no damage nor apply its slow). When used in conjunction with Hypercharge, phage is almost guaranteed to land a slow. Health is important to ensure that you always come out on top in any trade you might get yourself in.

The mana from Sheen is important because of the fact that Jayce won't always be able to attack in hammer mode. Many times that puts him too much at risk of harass or ganks or whatnot. Not to mention, more mana=more times you can use your combo consecutively. Being able to use your combo an additional two or three times quickly in a row compared to only once can mean the difference between a kill and a death.

And you're joking that he can't activate too many times right? He has EIGHT freaking spells to work from. He can easily just spam his R to activate it whenever he needs too.

As for wave clear, you don't need W for that. Accelerated Q wipes out mage minions easy. Or you can just use To the Skies! and a level 1 lightning field to kill them easily too.

Jayce's main counter isn't even armor honestly. His R gives him a substantial armor pen and magic pen already. Hell, at max level R, it gives the same penetration as Black Cleaver (25%). Besides that, Jayce does a lot of mixed damage, especially early on, so armor pen is actually a wasted stat on 2, arguably 3, different spells (thundering blow, lightning field, and magic on hit effect of his hammer form).

Triforce simply does what Black Cleaver does for Jayce better, especially with my style of playing him, at least until late game.