J4 w thought

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unwardil

01-27-2013

I play this champion a lot.

I mean A LOT.

I mean when you go on lolking and look up who's played him the most this season on NA server, that's me.

He has an intensely satisfying play style, if you're the kind who likes to get up close and personal and there's just something enduringly awesome about his e/q combo.

However, I'll be the first to admit that if the game goes much beyond 40 minutes, you start to become progressively more and more screwed. This isn't a problem necessarily, but you run into the old bruiser's paradox. If I build defensive items, I can't do enough damage to kill the carries and if I build damage items, I can't survive on the front line.

What makes all the tier 1 bruisers so great is that they have something in their kit that scales with a defensive stat. Either armor or HP or something like that, where they are rewarded that little bit extra for building more defense. This is why Jarvan falls off so badly in the late game, I feel, which is a shame, because he's such an incredibly fun champ to play and to watch. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing Cataclysm doing work. You position that thing in a choke point at the right time and it's a game changer. You do it wrong and you throw the game. What could be more fun to watch?!

However, there is the issue of his late game.

Here's the solution I feel.

What's the skill that nobody gets first on Jarvan? W, obviously, because it's really only good in big team fights where you can get a lot of shield and a lot of slow down. It's got a long cooldown and cost a lot of mana so you can't use it for mitigating damage in the lane phase unless you pop it to save yourself from ignite or something or if you're just going all in to get a kill.

If something about his W scaled off his max hp or armor though, all of a sudden you'd have a really good late game ability. So instead of gaining a flat amount of shield for each champion hit with the slow, what if instead that extra amount was based off J4's max hp? Ah ha, suddenly we have a significantly tankier Jarvan in that very very late game stage IF he has been stacking hp (you should by the way. Even without my proposed change to his w, you should stack hp). Jarvan would still be able to do what he does best, e/q right into the middle of a team, slow them all and then split them in half with his ult and live to land another e/q.

TL;DR

Make Jarvan's W scale in some way with his HP.

Thoughts?

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-27-2013

didnt read all of it but a shield based off his HP seems like a bit much. I dont play jarvan but I would be interested if the ability was less dependant on jarvan and moreso on his team.

Unwardil

01-27-2013

The way it works now, he gets a flat shield amount, does a move speed slow in an aoe and gets an extra flat amount of shield for every enemy champ he hits with the slow effect. I'm proposing the amount of extra shield he gets per champ hit would scale off his max or even possibly current hp.

Cutiecat88

01-27-2013

I agree, his shield should be a tad bit more in base damage and the extra health per champion should be a lot higher so R - W is a lot better.

Although I think the biggest buff he needs is fixing people walking through his Ulti(Yi especially) and having abilities that aren't a teleport or massive jump go over the walls.

By the way, what do you build on Jarvan to alleviate the tank or damage situation? I play jungle Jarvan and have a similar issue unless I get fed hard.

Unwardil

01-27-2013

Wriggles, Randuins, Mallet, Sunfire, Warmogs in no particular order. If Im jungling I'll usually start Philo for the extra gold and mana regen and at a convenient juncture I'll get some boots.

Nyx Warframe

01-27-2013

I like the idea. There are obvious tweaks that could be done with his W, if not this idea, then another one. Upvote from me!

Tymiros

01-30-2013

his base shield of w should scale with ap like a (.6) ratio while the bonus he gets from extra champions should scale off his attack damage like (.1) ratio

Orrrr

Make the slow last a lil longer with a slightly bigger range?

oh and maybe make his W and R work together, like if His W is Used inside his R it idk silences enemies in his cataclysm for 1 sec?

idk At the very least his W should refresh his passive on all targets affected by it.