Garen level: wtf. Is it just me?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Novä

01-28-2013

use lolreplay and then watch the replay to be sure of how much damage he did to u

PerfidiousAlbion

01-28-2013

His ult really isn't an issue given that he's not going to have any magic penetration and its level 1 damage, when you might reasonably not have bother to build MR as you're laning against a physical damage champ, isn't actually that impressive given that it's situational, and low range.

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfidiousAlbion View Post
His ult really isn't an issue....isn't actually that impressive given that it's situational, and low range.
(Confused grimace) Really? 40% health in one shot when I have around 90 resist and close to 4000 health seems impressive to me, especially in conjunction with Garen's sprint.

I am just beside myself, I guess I must somehow be playing wrong against Garen or just playing against really tough opponents.

Anyway, thank you guys for letting me know.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

Garen's ultimate only deals 40% of MISSING HP in damage. So for it to deal 40% of your HP, you'd need to be just a little bit under 10% of your max HP in the first place (accounting for the base 375 damage, give or take depending on how much you stack).

PerfidiousAlbion

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleally View Post
(Confused grimace) Really? 40% health in one shot when I have around 90 resist and close to 4000 health seems impressive to me, especially in conjunction with Garen's sprint.

I am just beside myself, I guess I must somehow be playing wrong against Garen or just playing against really tough opponents.

In lane it's only going to be 175+29% of missing health. As a top lane champ you'll likely have scaling MR and MR/lvl glyphs, and so will be close to 50 MR without items. He'll have no magic pen, so you're reducing it's damage by ~25%, more if you've built or are starting to build merc treads, which wouldn't be uncommon. If you're down ~1000 health it'll do ~350 damage after mitigation. It's a good chunk but hardly out of line. In fact, Judgement is doing about the same amount of damage without requiring any bonus AD.

If you don't have a problem with his spin-to-win I fail to see why you'd have a problem with his ult. His ult is, if anything, on the weak side at early levels considering it's low range and conditional.

asamu

01-28-2013

Only broken thing about garen is his passive. Other than that he is actually a pretty awful champion. Just play people that can 1v1 him, and can take more of a beating while dealing more damage like Udyr, Yorick, WW, and Volibear. The champions with crazy sustain tend to easily win vs Garen. Teemo can constantly harass, and the poison keeps Garen's passive from coming up, so the damage actually stays.

Titanomagnus

01-29-2013

Yeap Garen is a crazy hobo on alcohol and candy.

Yet unusually, every time somebody complains, typical player response is "Just gank him, noob!".

It's like watching a passer-by throw a can of coke on the ground and then walk right past a recyclables bin.

The world be crazy!

FreeGothitelle

01-29-2013

Either provide replays, or we'll just assume you're exaggerating/lying about garen one shotting you at 40% (the math's been done, it's not possible)

Anyway garen is sub par at the moment, just don't feed him in lane and just about everyone (except panth?) will outscale him. (remember, garen is hard countered by the 30 min mark)

Oh and hexdrinker hard counters his ult.

Invisibleally

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeGothitelle View Post
Either provide replays, or we'll just assume you're exaggerating/lying about garen one shotting you at 40% (the math's been done, it's not possible)
I've got no reason to lie about such a thing. I shared your opinion that it was "impossible" until I checked every angle I could think of. By closing your mind to possibilities outside your experience and being rude to me, you're hurting yourself more than you are hurting me.

I'm posting this to try to find another explanation for what happened or to find out if others share my feelings about Garen's abilities being too strong.

Lately I finally broke down and started playing Garen just to make sure there wasn't something I haven't been seeing, I can' t say playing him has changed my mind yet, but I'm going to keep trying it a while- maybe there is something I've missed. My very first game with Garen, I played against a friend who was playing Lux. They did beat me, but I was too aggressive at the start and after a couple kills Lux began roaming, feeding off the bots, so she got crazy pretty fast (lux /L here). At a few different points, I tried to take Lux down despite being 3 and 2 levels lower, and when I was 2 levels under her (and probably 8 to her 41 frags), and near the end of the game, I could destroy Lux if she didn't catch me with her stun. My friend frequently plays Lux, and I don't think he was taking it easy on me. To me, that reinforced that Garen is a bit too strong, but, again, I'm still practicing with him to make sure I don't miss anything.

Take care.

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleally View Post

4000 max hp
40% of that is 1600

garens ult
Garen brings down Demacian Justice on his opponent, dealing magic damage, plus additional magic damage based on how much health his opponent is missing.

Magic Damage: 175 / 350 / 525
Additional 1 Damage per: 3.5 / 3 / 2.5 health missing

missing hp = 2400

Damage before modification is 525 + 2400/2.5 = 1485
Considering the executioner and havoc masteries this becomes 1485*1.02*1.05 = 1590.435
Assuming you had 90 magic resist thats 1590.435 *(100/190)= 837.07 damage.

There is no way you got oneshotted with the stats youre claiming. Or did he use something else other than his ult?