Countering Yi's split pushing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akimasu

01-27-2013

Went against a Yi yesterday with teleport and Ghost with youmu's blade. He ended the game with 3/10/3, but single handedly won the game for the enemy team. No one in our team could counter him, and if we left 1 bot and 1 top, mid ended in a 3v4. He killed every one of our turrets, even with wards set up and us knowing where he's going, he could just ulti+youmus+ghost and get there,take out the turret, and get out before any of us could reach him.

We tried just ignoring him and going right up mid, but 4v5 under turret isn't exactly an easy fight, and we left yi alone once to try to take out their inhib turret..he knocked out 2 turrets and an inhib before the team fight was over.

How in the blazes do you counteract this?

Taarki

Recruiter

01-27-2013

get a yi?

SadricAmber

01-27-2013

Ambush Baby cakes

ChiSqrd

01-27-2013

If someone other than Shen, TF, Pantheon, or Nocturne split pushes and they don't have teleport up, just force a 5 v 4.

Spald

01-27-2013

Yi needs minions tanking a tower to take it out. keep your lanes pushed and you'll see him coming with time to engage.

Duffman316

Recruiter

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spald01 View Post
Yi needs minions tanking a tower to take it out. keep your lanes pushed and you'll see him coming with time to engage.
i hate to break it to you but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjvRD-iuPsY

Akimasu

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spald01 View Post
No, no he doesn't. This yi literally just walked up, ultied, & youmued...no more turret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DankChi View Post
If someone other than Shen, TF, Pantheon, or Nocturne split pushes and they don't have teleport up, just force a 5 v 4.
Fighting under turret seems to be something my cohorts are afraid of...will have to work on their confidence there. Yi just avoided all the team fights though.

Mich567

01-27-2013

Use CC... pay lots of attention to the map. Yi is incredibly easy to kill and counter, even when he does use that combo. You have to deny him farm, use CC, and kill him...

Akimasu

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich567 View Post
Use CC... pay lots of attention to the map. Yi is incredibly easy to kill and counter, even when he does use that combo. You have to deny him farm, use CC, and kill him...
Let me frame this for ya...

We were all 5 in mid, they were all 5 in mid. Yi decided "That top towers needs to die". When fog of war goes over him, He ghosts to top lane. We see him pass by baron, What do you do?

Let's assume you send 1 person up. Well, he's going to reach the tower ~5-10 seconds ahead of us. 8-9 seconds is all a Yi takes to kill a tower with Youmu and Ulti.

Let's assume we engage, They'll probably use some CC and poke us off the tower as best they can, meanwhile Yi has definitly taken 1 tower, and is heading to tower 2. We're not winning the base race, here. Taking turrets 4v5 vs a smart team is a pretty rough endeavour, but when racing against a Yi - that's just insane. Assume for a second that one or two split off, and start heading to him..he can just teleport to bot lane to take out bot tower(something that actually happened >.>). Now we've lost 2 towers for 1...

This is something we've had a lot of issue with. He wasn't even worth gold, so even if he just distracted us and died - they are still ahead, because they were 4v4 for that time, and all we had to show for it was 21 gold and a dead turret.

Even with ward coverage, we either don't catch him, give up too many members for 1 player, or show up too late. I'm sure there's some proper play here, but I just don't know what to do. :x

Mich567

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akimasu View Post
Let me frame this for ya...

We were all 5 in mid, they were all 5 in mid. Yi decided "That top towers needs to die". When fog of war goes over him, He ghosts to top lane. We see him pass by baron, What do you do?

Let's assume you send 1 person up. Well, he's going to reach the tower ~5-10 seconds ahead of us. 8-9 seconds is all a Yi takes to kill a tower with Youmu and Ulti.

Let's assume we engage, They'll probably use some CC and poke us off the tower as best they can, meanwhile Yi has definitly taken 1 tower, and is heading to tower 2. We're not winning the base race, here. Taking turrets 4v5 vs a smart team is a pretty rough endeavour, but when racing against a Yi - that's just insane. Assume for a second that one or two split off, and start heading to him..he can just teleport to bot lane to take out bot tower(something that actually happened >.>). Now we've lost 2 towers for 1...

This is something we've had a lot of issue with. He wasn't even worth gold, so even if he just distracted us and died - they are still ahead, because they were 4v4 for that time, and all we had to show for it was 21 gold and a dead turret.

Even with ward coverage, we either don't catch him, give up too many members for 1 player, or show up too late. I'm sure there's some proper play here, but I just don't know what to do. :x
Hmm... try to boost your move speed... have anyone who has ghost and/or Homeland boots recall and immediately run towards him. Maybe you should try to split push too. Have one person cover each lane and go play defense on mid. Distract them and maybe take some monsters (Dragon? Red/Blue? Maybe even Baron?)... if you take some monsters, maybe you can take teleport too and teleport behind them and kill them... or once again, immediately try to backdoor/split push.